Roundtable notes 22 July 2023

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Roundtable notes 22 July 2023

Post by nobody »

Rias: I'm working on Lbrary stuff. I got distracted with general Library stuff, but now I'm back to the Arcanist-specific Library stuff. I'm also being very tempted by the Guild of Thieves Butterfly, with its oh-so-sneaky wings. A lot of time has been spent poring over the CLOK BBS and asking various players if I'm forgetting any major events or whatnot when it comes to reconciling timelines. So far it's been delightfully free of any significant snags or concerns. I'm even acknowledging that Haiban was attempted and started as a settlement, it just never got to completion before... stuff. I'm probably going to release a general bullet-point timeline OOCly on the BBS first just to get more eyes on it, but that timeline will also make its way into a document in the Library so people can have an IC way for their characters to know or look up all that timeline info. Obviously it will be lacking some details on stuff that wasn't as common-knowledge. And I've still got some half-baked Primalist abilities I need to finish up. Sorry Primalists, I keep getting distracted. And lastly, I keep repeating my mantras to stop over-complicating things so I can just get stuff done. I'm getting better! That's it for me, I think. I'm pretty excited about the Arcanist stuff. If anyone has any questions or comments or feedback or such, go ahead and raise your hand. Otherwise, we'll call this the most streamlined roundtable ever and just go back to free-for-all mode!

Nobody: I'm quite curious about all the Balastrossa stuff I've just seen, is more planned to be released on them IC first, or via wiki?

Rias: I should probably get her at least a stub wiki page, but I add stuff IG as I think about it.

Nobody: I want to know the story Rias! I want to know the story!

Rias: Either way, it's good to drum up more interest in the White Wyvern.

Vaelin: Just a quick question. What are plans for mount accessories?

Rias: There have been some ideas about saddles and whatnot and some small mechanical effects they can have (so quality-crafted ones can give slightly better benefits). Saddles at the very least - they're the easiest to think up ideas for. Saddlebags get brought up a lot, but we've already got people going around with huge herds of horses and handcarts which I want to address before we add even more ways for people to mobile-hoard items.

Prism: Firstly, as always, I just wanted to thank you for everything lately. Things have been great on my end as a player. I mostly just wanted to ask if there was anything in particular you've seen going on in the community that you've loved or appreciated. Things you see players doing, habits you'd like to encourage, that kind of thing. Feel free to just pass on this, but I always like to ask about things folks like to see.

Rias: It's been fun to see people RPing, as always. I've felt a little guilty being so distracted and leaving people to be self-starters for a lot of the activity recently, but we have a great community who are good at doing that. I've also been seeing some good use of THINK and RITUAL, and it's gotten a few neat little things to happen, which is always fun. Sometimes it's fun from the GM side to be prompted instead of always doing the prompting. Players have been very tactful and tasteful about the prompts they did do, which is appreciated!

Gorth: If I ride a riding horse to a place with a slower mount, like a charger, in my group, dismount the riding horse and get on the charger, it can't move because it's in excessive levels of traveltime. Is there anyway to change this? I'd be fine with slowing down to meet the slowest horse in your group, like you do with people. It would mean that you'd move really slow with workhorses, so maybe that could be tweaked, somehow. Just spitballing. Do you regenerate energy in traveltime? That seems fine to me. I'd still like it if workhorses had to sit at least once a long trip with lots of stuff in a handcart, so I'm not sure how well this would balance out. Maybe this is a BBS post. I don't know. Thoughts? I'd like overworld travel to be slowed in general, as has been expressed lots of times before, I think by you. Maybe I'm remembering a different dad GM.

Rias: Huh, it should be slowing your movement down to the slowest mover in your group, so I'll have to fix that. Energy should not be regenerating in traveltime or roundtime.

Gorth: I don't know if it is regenerating at the moment -- my guess would be no. And yes, if I lead a mule and ride a horse, I go way fast. Like *car noise*. Gorth rotates around with a whirring noise, like a windup toy. He's looking for hands.

Rias: I think I'm generally okay with the time it takes to get around the wilderness.

Gorth: Are you okay with the fact that we can go from Shad-Shad to Mr. Lake without affective energy loss? Only curious.

Rias: If I were writing a book, the wilderness travel would be a much bigger part of things. In this kind of setting where we're all here to play a game when we have free time, I'm okay with bending time a bit when it comes to travel.

Gorth: That's totally fair. ...and also something I didn't consider.

Rias: One concept I've toyed with is setting long-distance travel points, where once you pass that point, you can't go back across it for X amount of time. You can still scoot around elsewhere, but it would prevent things like going rapidly back and forth from Shadgard to Mistral to Shadgard to Mistral...

Frisbee: In the spirit of that, and sorry this isn't a cool question, but have you considered different travel speeds, especially on horses? I travel around a lot more than I used to nowadays and the number of times I've had to turn back because I missed a spot is quite large.

Rias: There was a great suggestion someone made where you can set your horse's travel speed to things like trot, gallop, etc.

Zantos: So I am quite new to this, and, forgive me if this question sounds weird, but, I heard from rumors that you guys are looking into adding non humanoid races for charc selection. My question is, is that true or false?

Rias: Not that I'm aware of! We are a lower-fantasy setting, so it's just humans for us. Some humans can potentially get some bizarre conditions, but they're still human. Ish.

Zantos: Thank you.

Rias: I usually say mid-fantasy. I should say that.

Serity: Just wanted to comment that as long as deliveries and corpse retrieval exist, "can't go back through X for Y period of time" sounds like it'd just be really painful for day-to-day, even when people aren't just being weird and jetting around.

Rias: There are a number of reasons that system hasn't made it into the game.

Vazbol: Hey, so I'm just wanting to poke at the intended drop rate/skill level of certain boxes. is it intended for the drop rate to be slashed so hard when going a bit over on high skill ranks? Once you get into the 550-700 melee/ranged.. range, the point advantage matters less, especially with heavy armor/shield setups and stealth becoming common. And it's leading to weird choices like people staying at 600 melee to take advantage of far easier targets, while people at 700 are getting put through the grinder and getting far less.

Rias: It's set up to keep people moving within a flat range. It's a system that still needs some tweaking, for sure.

Vazbol: I literally do mean grinder. Bashing Plate armor and being poked at by lots of ambush bolts and shield bashes do sad things to gear. Especially when said targets come with natural padding apparently. Right, I'm just curious if that range can be widened a smidge at the upper end. A 100 point difference or 75 doesn't really give much of an advantage, and not resulting in the old days of farming 350 skill liberi for 8 hours a day.

Rias: I'll run it by the team and see what the more number-y people think.

Vazbol: Alrighty, I'm not sure how the difference affects things at lower ranks too. now who's next?

Bella: Think you can make it so we can invite someone to ride our mounts?

Rias: Yeah, that'd be a handy feature.

Bella: It would be. And thank you for everything, Rias.

Belladana: Did you ever see what the problem was with the sheep and the shed thing from last week?

Rias: I did not!

Gorth: First statement. Multiple riders on a horse is a great idea, at an extreme mount morale pentalty, possibly. I'm not sure how it would really work, but I'd like it to. It's hard, because we want to make sure people can say no, but we don't want to make it too OOC, unless we do. It could be as simple as you trying to MOUNT someone else's horse and they get a prompt to let you or not, like the give/accept code.

Rias: I thought we were talking about letting someone else ride your horse, not two to a horse.

Gorth: I'd just like to be able to drag a dying person onto my horse and shadowfax them to safety. Oh, well that too. Maybe I misunderstood better Bella.

Rias: But a way to fwomp a corpse (or unconscious person) onto the back of your horse would be very cool.

Vaelin: I do think riding in tandem's an amazing idea. perhaps it'll be a good insentive for higher riding skill? I just raised to comment about that, actually.

Rias: Something to think about.

Chariot: Just wishing to take this chance to thank you guys, gms and players alike, for being awesome.

Rias: Thanks!

Iradessa: So firstly, I am glad to be back around here after half a year. Secondly, may we know a bit more about what there is in store for arcnists? And thirdly, there was a bit of a nifty idea I had that may or may not be interesting, involving berries and making them into ink to write on parchments and the like.

Rias: For the arcanist you'll have to wait and see! It's just around the corner, it should be within the next couple days. It should be some improved convenience for certain types of glyphs, and some new(ish) glyphs that are mostly combat-oriented but have a utility application or two in there as well.

Iradessa: Of course I can throw that idea through the appropriate channels but yes, essentially, grow berries or forage for them, and have them processed into colored ink somehow. Kind of like dye but well ink. Definitely not a flushed out idea but yeah. And awesome about that, I look forward to it! Okay done rambling but yep.

Rias: It'd be neat to have some recipes for producing one's own ink. As a mechanic it's just been introduced today, so ways to expand on that would be fun.

Iradessa: Yay, awesome! Okay that's all for me, thanks so much for all you do, truly!

Rias: It's a fun gig.

Frisbee: So I know we were having a similar discussion about the Fasa during a previous chat, but I'm curious -- what naming scheme do Rhuidic names follow, if any? I've seen... sort of slavic names, and wonderfully meaningful Greek names that have made me indescribably proud, and some other names that don't fit any category I can think of. i'm thinking they might have at least some Viali influence, but don't know! Thoughts?

Rias: The Rhuidim don't really have a specific naming analogue. They're going to see a lot of influence from the Nuum and Khaldean names/languages, but they are going to want to avoid sounding Viali-like as those two cultures are traditionally quite opposed to one another. I unfortunately don't really have a real-world analogue for them.

Frisbee: Fair, it's not necessary. i'd argue we get more colourful and unpredictable results that way and that can be nice. Thank you.

Vazbol: Alright, minor one here. My ever present suggestion for having fury generation on berserkers be increased a bit when low on sanity. Just so that some of us can hit the primal energies a bit hard before combat for proper motivation. Also on the other bit on that. has the defense drops while that's up been implemented yet? or are the reductions due to armor checks being failed?

Rias: Still no defense penalty, I don't think. I never did get around to that. More sanity interaction and effects are always good.

Vazbol: Other than that, I'd just like to say thanks for putting up with our crainess the past few weeks.

Rias: Thanks for being here to be crazy!

Darkangel: What would be The Rhuidim's closest real world equivalent? It does make it easier to draw on certain cultureal aspects that way.

Rias: Yeah, the problem is they don't really have one. They're pretty much made up from whole cloth.

Belladana: I ment to ask you if thornleaf and the version in Mistral are ment to work differently?

Rias: They should work the same.

Belladana: The mistral stuff cant be used to make things like bowstrings.

Rias: That's right, I need to fix that.

Belladana: I tried and gave it up and just went and got thornleaf instead.

Rias: All right, that's the end of our roundtable then! Thanks to everyone for your interest in the game and its world, it means a lot to me.

Eugor: Any chance we'll be seeing barrel racing additions in the near future?

Rias: If I get some suggestions.

Eugor: Well, a way to line up for a race would be nice. It's kind of weird right now if people want to race, cause like, sometimes the times are in miliseconds, and uh no one has a watch.

Serity: Don't they have to go in circles around the barrels? How do you have more than one horse do that at a time.

Rias: Right, it's not a race where everyone goes at once, it's a single racer trying to get a good time. People can race at the same time in-game, I don't know how I feel about making people wait or queue up but it's a possibility.

Frisbee: It's fine if people can remember the times, but it's sort of odd that it calculates milliseconds. Not sure how to comunicate that IC, if another person and I have made times that differ by milliseconds.

Eugor: A more in game way of knowing might be good. Perhaps a records board like at the hunter's lounge as well for best times and such?

Rias: I'll post an NPC there with a fancy Khaldean stopwatch calling out times.