VI Support with the help command

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
nobody

VI Support with the help command

Post by nobody »

The help command currently doesn't do anything differently when options ANSIcolor is on or off. I'd love to get feedback from screen reader users as to what would be the most helpful way of indicating (1) links to other help files (green text) and (2) commands to be used (teal text). My intuition as not a screen reader user is to do # in front of green text (as is done in the game world proper for objects in rooms) and double quotes around teal text "like this" to help identify commands.
Frisbee

Re: VI Support with the help command

Post by Frisbee »

The idea of double quotes especially sounds wonderfully intuitive. I'm not sure about a specific symbol for links, maybe parentheses, or brackets, or something that can indicate where the helpfile title begins and where it ends, especially for multi-word titles.

Many thanks for being so supportive of your VI players.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Re: VI Support with the help command

Post by Gorth »

Personally I haven't had any issue intuiting such things for nearly a year, as I got familiar with the game, and that was as a person relatively new to MUDs in general; I've been playing them for about six years, by now. However the following notes come to mind:

- Hash (#) is a decent way to notate hyperlinks, though Frisbee's suggestion of parentheses (()) is probably a better one for multiple word titles.
- Double quotes (""), and for that matter single quotes ('') are fine, but most Speech Synthesis software do not read them.
"Don't go," he said, "We need you."
Is almost always read as:
Don't go (pause) he said (pause) we need you.
- Thus, my suggestion for commands, beyond the MUD standard of MACRO SPACE case, would be asterisks (*), dollar signs ($), or less than and greater than signs (<>) around the command(s).
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.