Service indicator steam spinners

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Service indicator steam spinners

Post by Rias »

Per the post on the board in the Town Commons: "Service indicators are being installed via our steam network. These indicators take the form of steam spinners here in the Town Commons as well as in the town gatehouse. If you see
a spinner spinning on a service's section of pipe, that means someone in town is on duty and ready to perform that service in that service's traditional location! Our first type of indicator is the locksmith spinner. There's a valve in the warehouse that can be opened to set the locksmith service spinners spinning, and closed to stop the spinners. Instructions are inscribed into the valve pipe. Locksmiths: Just TURN the valve to the open state when you're on locksmithing duty in the warehouse, and TURN it again to close it when you're through. We'll be adding more service indicators soon! -Fahima, Engineer"

We'll see how this works out! Now people passing through Town Commons or the gatehouse can know if some services are currently available via other PCs, because the room look in those rooms will indicate at the end if any service indicators are on. I don't want there to be *too* many indicators, but what else might we add? I thought it might be useful having one for physicker and one for therapist. Blacksmith and tailor as well?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Pendulum

Re: Service indicator steam spinners

Post by Pendulum »

Sounds interesting. Maybe nnext a physicker spinner for physicker on duty at infirmary?

Also, it is only a matter of time before people forget to turn off the spinner. Could there be maybe a 15 or 20 minute auto shut-off?
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

No suggestions. Just that it's awesome so I don't have to ESP and ask for people. Yay for asocial characters.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

Blacksmith, leatherworker, tailor/weaver

I see these asked for a lot as well as physickers.

Love your friendly Mistral Lake Gm <3
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

On second thought, I feel like these would all be cool reasons to get people to start hanging out in public workshop areas more. Do business there, as well. It's always been super sad to me that I've only ever had one unplanned interaction in Stormholdt propper; you know who you are, but it happened to be a rather cornerstone bit of RP for a character. I've always loved the concept of people coming together for concepts, like a craft.

Pottery comes to mind instantly; any reason for Pottery to get more love is a good one. Aditionally, though not yet applicable, I would love for there to be a cook indicator in some fashion, once Cooking becomes a big(ger) deal.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

This might be useful especially for newer characters who have no connections and are looking for a particular service, plus the esp network is no longer needed for that purpose at least when the potential customer is in town. i am not sure if this is a positive or negative, however, for now I remain optimistic thanks to Gorth's post.

Thank you again for letting us help make Shadgard a better place.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Frisbee wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:07 pm This might be useful especially for newer characters who have no connections and are looking for a particular service, plus the esp network is no longer needed for that purpose at least when the potential customer is in town. i am not sure if this is a positive or negative, however, for now I remain optimistic thanks to Gorth's post.

Thank you again for letting us help make Shadgard a better place.
Remember that a majority of people who live in these areas don't use the ESP network, because they're not frothing lunatics. Though most upstanding citizens wouldn't need a lockpick, they might need a tanner.