Second account connection allowed to chat with (this is not multiplaying)

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Second account connection allowed to chat with (this is not multiplaying)

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: It is now possible for the same player account to be connected to the server twice in order to allow a second connection for OOC chat purposes while the first is logged in as a character. (To be perfectly clear: It is still not possible to be logged in as more than one character at a time per account.)

This is for anyone who wants to be logged in as a character, but also use OOC chat in a second window but doesn't want to use the third-party clients like Discord, IRC, Matrix, etc. Just connect to the COGG server in two different instance of your MUD client, and you can log in as a character on one, and leave the other at the account screen to see #GAME chat and use the CHAT command to participate in that channel. It was a bit finicky to set up and get working right, so please do use the BUG command to report any issues (or post about them here). It is technically still possible to log in as a character from a second connection, but it'll log out any character currently logged in on the first connection in the process. Which is to say: It should still be impossible to play multiple characters from the same account at the same time. There are no plans to change that policy.

If someone sends a tell to an account that has multiple connections, the tell will be sent to both connections, and the REPLY command can be used from either connection.

Multiple connections will not affect the WHO list nor the total online user count. That is to say: accounts that are logged in twice won't show in WHO twice nor artificially boost the online user total count.

If any weirdness or wonkiness comes up from this update that I didn't anticipate, please let me know!

(And something I just thought of: I should have the ignoretells option be account-wide rather than character-specific.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO