Mounted Combat - Mount Morale

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Karjus

Mounted Combat - Mount Morale

Post by Karjus »

It would be nice if mounts potentially got a morale bonus based of its riders skill.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Dennis

Re: Mounted Combat - Mount Morale

Post by Dennis »

Or if interacting with your mount - petting, brushing, and other props, would give morale bonuses to your steed.

It's a bit silly, but can bards give morale to steeds? Likewise, can physickers give morale therapy to steeds?
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Navi

Post by Navi »

Karjus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:41 am It would be nice if mounts potentially got a morale bonus based of its riders skill.
I know this isn't what you meant, but it also serves to answer Dennis' question as well. It also makes me chuckle.
Your mount can receive a morale bonus based on its rider's skill. That skill just happens to be storytelling. To be clear, bards can boost their morale. I call it horse whispering. However, physickers cannot, as theirs is more mundane.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Karjus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:41 am It would be nice if mounts potentially got a morale bonus based of its riders skill.
I want to make sure I'm parsing this request correctly: Do you mean that mounts would get a potential reroll to their attacks (trample, kick, etc.) based on the rider's Riding skill, with their occurrence similar to how morale rerolls work? That is to say: A Riding skill roll to determine the chance that one's mount might get a reroll when it performs one of its mount attacks?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Correct. I think just applying rerolls to mount abilities might be a touch too strong, but having skill at as potentional pseudo morale and give a chance of a reroll might be a good compromise?

Mounts do exceptionally well early on, but their abilities really start to suffer later on against opponents of like level. Probably better to have the bonus only apply to the active attacks, and not the passive as well. Justify this as the rider actually taking the effort to focus their mount which is why the skill is important.

Could possibly be done so it varies instead of just 1 reroll?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."