Shadgard government info blurb on helpfile

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Shadgard government info blurb on helpfile

Post by Rias »

I've added the "Government" section to the Shadgard helpfile/wiki article which gives the basic idea of how the Town Council works and lists who its members are. This info should be considered fairly common knowledge, or at least commonly available to anyone who seeks it. Players can assume their characters have seen Council member names listed, heard them mentioned, or went to inquire after the info at Town Hall, etc. in order to let this info be available to them IC.

I also want to take this opportunity to note that while their names are listed, it should not be assumed that communications can/have been be sent to the Town Council without actually sending a letter to a mailbox provided specifically for that NPC, or speaking with them (or a representative) in person as an actual occurrence in the game. We tried in The Other Game to make various NPCs (including government officials) more available via an open-ended NPCmail command and that just got too overwhelming for staff and set unreasonable expectations with players. This is far more an OOC thing for the sake of the game than an IC thing; these NPCs aren't deliberately trying to be difficult to get in touch with or anything, it's just one of those limitations of this being a game run by a finite number of staff, and staff doesn't have the bandwidth to roleplay the intricacies of running a government and all the NPCs making up a town on top of everything else we want to get up to to make the game fun for both players and ourselves.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Re: Shadgard government info blurb on helpfile

Post by Gorth »

HELP SHADGARD wrote: Shadgard is a mining town nestled in the mountains at the southern edge of the Lost Lands.
I was under the understanding that Shadgard was near the southern part of the Lost Lands, but still that the part between Shadgard and Mistral Lake was considered 'Central Lost Lands.' I was furthermore convinced that the Republic controlled the land south of Shadgard, for a far ways. Was I incorrect?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Oh, yes, I'll update that. I believe the original article was written by a player and they were using the term "Lost Lands" to mean the playable area in game. The playable area is the central Lost Lands. Republic is mostly western central Lost Lands, primarily the coast and some islands. Lapis is down south, though a lot of the south is wilderness and ruins just like central and north. Dominion, Lapis, Republic are all quite young coalitions and while indeed being the major powers in the Lost Lands, that's not saying much compared to the scale of lands that haven't recently suffered an apocalyptic plague and following influx of monsters keeping populations generally low and concentrated into smaller more defensible regions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Fellborn

Post by Fellborn »

Rias wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:09 amI also want to take this opportunity to note that while their names are listed, it should not be assumed that communications can/have been be sent to the Town Council without actually sending a letter to a mailbox provided specifically for that NPC, or speaking with them (or a representative) in person as an actual occurrence in the game. We tried in The Other Game to make various NPCs (including government officials) more available via an open-ended NPCmail command and that just got too overwhelming for staff and set unreasonable expectations with players. This is far more an OOC thing for the sake of the game than an IC thing; these NPCs aren't deliberately trying to be difficult to get in touch with or anything, it's just one of those limitations of this being a game run by a finite number of staff, and staff doesn't have the bandwidth to roleplay the intricacies of running a government and all the NPCs making up a town on top of everything else we want to get up to to make the game fun for both players and ourselves.
Just a reminder of this. Nothing stopping people using the Town Boards how they have been the last few days however.
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

I didn't see the initial post in this thread. I read the last one, just now. I beg your pardon. It won't happen again.