Language Quickswitching

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Language Quickswitching

Post by Gorth »

Voicechat wrote:3. Q: Is it possible to do emote that does language swaps? A: It may be possible in the future.
I would like this. i find the Language system a little hard to remember, as in I'll switch to another language and then forget to switch back later. Also, of course, I can't combine them in one emote. I suggest the following:

When doing something that could contain different, non-common, languages, use the following syntax:
[<lang>]

Examples:
Common: emote waves a hand and calls out "Goodbye!"
Different: emote turns in a circle and murmurs, [Viali]"I do say, I wonder where my mouse has gone."
Flip Flo: emote in a mad babble, @me murmurs, "Where --" turning his head, [nuumic]"Is my --" and back forward again, "Mouse?"

We don't want it to be terribly verbose, but I would like to be able to switch languages midemote, for actual in character reasons.
emote sighs lightly. "Go wash your face," she says lightly, and then tacks on at the end a quiet [Nuumic]"Barbarian."

People might find it jarring to have the name of the language used outputted in the middle of an emote, so if people have better suggestions to make this work, I would appreciate it. I'd very much like to see this be a thing, but I get why people might not.

P.S. If we allow it for emotes, I don't see why it couldn't apply to writing or speech in general.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Re: Language Quickswitching: Plus Writing Artwork!

Post by Gorth »

I like my above suggestion. So I revived it. Also this:

We thought of a neat coal (sorry, QoL) idea. People like to draw. But languages exist. So why not let us do similar when writing, so that we can have specifically noted drawings on pages?

E.G.:

Code: Select all

> write Below is what I saw.^#art A drawing of a rather angry looking man, with a mustache so hot it is practically on fire, and conspicuously wearing no pants. His left hand is bloodied.^Thank you, and have a good day.
Could do similar, with what is after the hash being the name of the language to write.

It could display, like:
[Common Letters] Below is what I saw.
[Drawing] A drawing of a rather angry looking man, with a mustache so hot it is practically on fire, and conspicuously wearing no pants. His left hand is bloodied.
Thank you, and have a good day.
... or something to that affect. It'd change how writing looks, right now, but I think it'd make things a little more compact, and provide people a consistent and language neutral way to draw things.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Avalixtra

Re: Language Quickswitching

Post by Avalixtra »

As the one who was asking about writing art, any more imput on what people think would be an appropriate way to put it down to a paper (sketchbook, etc)