On Societies

Talk about Societies in general that doesn't relate specifically to any particular existing Society.
Rias
DEV

Re: On Societies

Post by Rias »

darkangel wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 pm1.Can a character wanting to not crack down on crime, but redirect it be a good fit?
They're not exactly a crime-fighting organization since they're up to quite a bit of it themselves, so sure. I think redirection would fall under the regulation they're attempting to sell themselves with.
2. If you've read discworld, is the shady society's crime strucsimilar to the thieves and assassin's guild? i.e. people who are not affiliated with the aforementioned guilds are delt with?
I haven't read Discworld, so I'm not sure. If an organized crime group were trying to do their best to make themselves feel valuable and worth tolerating though, they'd likely be interested in making sure the crime that does go on is "sanctioned" and so do their own part to deal with troublesome independents as part of proving their worth as a society. Clarifying note: This shady society is not an assassin group. If they're interested in being tolerated by society and the governments they work beneath/within, it's in this society's interest to draw certain lines and make it clear and apparent that they're more valuable than detrimental to have around. Specializing in assassinations and being frequently responsible for the murders of citizens would make that a pretty hard sell, so they tend to stay away from that kind of thing and prefer to instead put on pressure in other ways when necessary. Not that an occasional convenient death of a particularly problematic individual due to mysterious circumstances would never occur, but it's something this society certainly wants to avoid if at all possible.
3. will wanting to be a part of this society be going against the dominion's code of peace, order and prosperity by being a part of a group that is linked with crime?
I think a case could be made that it could be in the Dominion's best interest to work with this organization in order to regulate crime, at least in the short term while the Dominion is still in its infancy (which it currently is). The Dominion would of course wish to be the sole entity in control eventually, but at the moment it'd likely be much more practical for them to tolerate and perhaps even occasionally quietly work with this group who is regulating crime and maintaining a sense of order in their own way. If some of the rumors are to believed, they have remarkably similar aims in cultivating a prosperous and orderly society - just different ideas of how and why to go about that.

P.S. If question 3 is essentially asking "would a Dominion character be able to join this Society without worrying about being kicked out of the Dominion for mere association", the answer is "yes." They'd have to take care to not do something foolish or offend the wrong person, but it's by no means impossible to walk that line. I could see some (certainly not all, but some) true blue believers in the Dominion vision of peace, order, and prosperity thinking that this society is of legitimate value and is a useful means of achieving said vision.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Rias wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:37 am - Harbingers: Representatives of the coalition that has been formed by the "darker" or less-represented or (as some might claim) misunderstood Immortals
Here I am trying to get caught up on all these BBS posts I've missed and I just wanted to say that this one made me the most excited. Also: darn right my little baby Kurn is misunderstood! She's just hungry, man.

:kurn_mouths:
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

darkangel wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 pm So, regarding the shady sneeky society, I had a few questions.
1.Can a character wanting to not crack down on crime, but redirect it be a good fit?
2. If you've read discworld, is the shady society's crime strucsimilar to the thieves and assassin's guild? i.e. people who are not affiliated with the aforementioned guilds are delt with?
3. will wanting to be a part of this society be going against the dominion's code of peace, order and prosperity by being a part of a group that is linked with crime?
these are the broad ones, so far.
“But we don't do things like that!" said Vimes. "You can't go around arresting the Thieves' Guild. I mean, we'd be at it all day!”

― Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!