Locksmithing Skill Tree Abilities and Trap suggestions

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Squeak

Locksmithing Skill Tree Abilities and Trap suggestions

Post by Squeak »

Edited to add: When anyone else has any suggestions for either abilities or additional traps, I'll update one of these two posts with it so it's all neat and concise for Rias and Gang (tm)

Abilities:
[Pulled from Re: Abilities by Alila]
Locksmith Expertise:
An expert locksmith knows all of the little tricks lock-makers use when crafting locks and especially how to exploit them.
A simple reroll skill, perhaps substituting Artifice and/or intuition to help a locksmith pick harder-than-average locks.
[Pulled from Re: Abilities by Alila and expanded upon]
Locksmith Tool Crafting:
Grants recipes denoting the process of making lockpicking tools from a variety of metals.
Required Skills to learn Ability: Lockpicking (300)

Adds the following recipes to the owner’s known recipes:

Information on the thin metal plate recipe:
A thin sheet of flattened (material), used solely for the crafting of lockpicking tools.
It is a tiny item, mainly made of (material).

Skill(s) Required: Metalworking (100)
Crafted from: metal bloom -OR- metal ingot (it is possible some of the base component will be left over for further crafting use.)
Steps: 30
Considering your current skill, you figure you could achieve the following quality:
Metalworking: fine(+1)

Information on the lockpick blank recipe:
A thin, roughy shaped piece of flattened (material), used solely for the crafting of lockpicks.

Crafted from: metal bloom -OR- metal ingot (it is possible some of the base component will be left over for further crafting use.)
Considering your current skill, you figure you could achieve the following quality:

Information on the torsion wrench recipe:
A thin, roughly shaped piece of flattened (material), used solely for the crafting of tension wrenches.

Usage (for making lockpicks):
Must have a thin metal plate. (This piece will determine the end products material)
Must have a lockpick blank. (A re-usable blank that will take damage over time and cannot be repaired)
Access to something to grind with.
Steps: A lot. This is a fine piece of workmanship, and requires a deft hand to grind to a proper shape.

Usage (for torsion wrenches):
Must have a thin metal plate. (This piece will determine the end products material.)
Must have a torsion wrench blank. (Reusable blank that will take damage over time and cannot be repaired.)
Access to a grinder.
Access to a pair of pliers.
Steps: A lot. This is a fine piece of workmanship, and requires a deft hand to grind to a proper shape.
[Pulled from Re: Abilities by Talyn]
Locksmith Rake:
IC: A skilled locksmith, well-versed in a variety of tumbler locks, can rake their lockpick across all the tumblers in a quick fashion. Doing so correctly, will often trigger multiple tumblers into place at once.
OOC: Allows a third option for the tumbler lock minigame (sorry, Talyn, but warded locks have no real moving parts and this specific skill is designed for forcing tumblers into place) to RAKE the lock with increased lockpick RT and lockpick damage. Has a chance based on intuition, artifice, lockpicking to activate multiple tumblers at once. Useable once per lock.
Lock Sense:
IC: An expert locksmith can feel the slightest of clicks through their fingers while manipulating a lock allowing them to “visualize” the locks internals.
OOC: A passive ability that allows a locksmith, upon successfully securing a tumbler, to get a sense of where the next tumbler to secure is within the lock.
Last edited by Squeak on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squeak

Re: Locksmithing Skill Tree Abilities and Trap suggestions

Post by Squeak »

Traps:
You carefully inspect a round-topped olivewood lockbox (closed) for traps …
Noticing a small lever just inside the face of the lock, you inspect the rest of the lockbox closely and notice two small holes - one on the lock and the other opposite by the hinges. Each hole has a small needle nestled inside.
You figured you could try to disarm the trap, now that you’ve gotten a look at it.
Roundtime: 10 seconds.

You set to work on disarming the needle dart trap on a round-topped olivewood lockbox (closed) …
Intuiting that the proper key for this lock has a special divot to rotate without activating the level, you take a small hook tool and insert it into the lockface. Rotating the tool, you hook it behind the lever, catching a small wire and disentangle it.
You feel you have effectively disarmed the trap.
Roundtime: 10 seconds.

Failure of this trap will set off two spring loaded needles to shoot out - one will always target the locksmith and the other will target a random bystander in the room. If no other targets are present, the needle flies off in a random direction, never to be found. May or may not be poisoned.
You carefully inspect a round-topped olivewood lockbox (closed) for traps …
Immediately, a small warded glass vial is visible near the back of the lock. Closer examination reveals a small spring-activated hammer just above it, positioned to strike the vial and shatter it upon activation.
You figured you could try to disarm the trap, now that you’ve gotten a look at it.

You set to work on disarming the needle dart trap on a round-topped olivewood lockbox (closed) …
Visualizing the interior of the lock, you determine that the appropriate key would have a small protrusion specifically for disarming the spring-activated hammer. Armed with this knowledge, you stick a small hooked tool inside the lockface, twisting it just right to disengage the spring from the hammer, rendering it harmless.
You feel you have effectively disarmed the trap.

Failure of this trap will cause the hammer to strike the vial, shattering it and releasing nethrim tendrils to seep out, striking at anyone in the vicinity similar to the Binding Tendril ability.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I am a little concerned that eventually, we'll just have people running around with a bunch of trapped lockboxes causing mayhem. Aside from that, I feel like the binding tendril trap is definitely one that would get you into some deep trouble if it went off in town.
However, I do really like the trap suggestions. My solution to the above would be to only have certain traps appear on stationary treasure containers. This not only eliminates the need to worry about balancing them for use by players, but also increases the danger of these types of traps.
The only comment I have as far as the locksmithing suggestions is to make raking only possible at the start of lockpicking, as doing this in the middle of picking will most likely ruin the progress made.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Navi wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 am I am a little concerned that eventually, we'll just have people running around with a bunch of trapped lockboxes causing mayhem. Aside from that, I feel like the binding tendril trap is definitely one that would get you into some deep trouble if it went off in town.
I've never tried picking a lockbox outside of the warehouse in Shadgard, but if it doesn't already warn you, it'd be nice if trying to pick a Lockbox in a room that has a crowd in it gave a warning similar to trying to channel Sorcery in Shadgard - something like "Are you SURE you want to pick this lockbox? Keep in mind if could be trapped, and if it goes off the townsfolk will blame you!"

That would allow for more troublesome or slightly more dangerous traps, if the law code also got you for setting off specific traps (mostly thinking AoE ones, or traps that otherwise affect other people or have very obvious, grand effects) in town (which I think should apply to both Shadgard AND Mistral Lake - setting off a darkness trap in the middle of the street is probably something both towns want to avoid).

It wouldn't stop people from wild shenanigans outside of towns or in specific rooms, but I think that's okay - if folks go around being a menace, they can deal with the consequences.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Most of my ideas for traps would be more appropriate for stationary coffers/strongboxes found out in the wild, admittedly.

But I'd enjoy a sound-based one. Like if the trap is triggered, it would set some bells to ringing that would spawn in a couple of mobs to your location.

We've all joked about glitterbombs at some point, but honestly, I think like... some sort of crystal dust trap that made it impossible for you to hide and sneak for a time after or that highly debuffed your stealth stat would be funny.

Okay, this is a weird one, but what about some sort of glyph trap on a coffer/strongbox that if activated would fear you out of the room? That would also be funny. Not even coffers/strongboxes are safe from the tricks of those dirty bards.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Navi

Post by Navi »

It might be a neat idea if you could salvage the components of successfully disarmed traps to create something useful or even more useful than just setting off the portable trapbox itself. This would go well with the stationary trapboxes as it would mean that the tinkerer would need to go out and about to actually retrieve these themselves or with a group.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Delphine wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am
But I'd enjoy a sound-based one. Like if the trap is triggered, it would set some bells to ringing that would spawn in a couple of mobs to your location.

We've all joked about glitterbombs at some point, but honestly, I think like... some sort of crystal dust trap that made it impossible for you to hide and sneak for a time after or that highly debuffed your stealth stat would be funny.

Okay, this is a weird one, but what about some sort of glyph trap on a coffer/strongbox that if activated would fear you out of the room? That would also be funny. Not even coffers/strongboxes are safe from the tricks of those dirty bards.
These are all great - I love the idea of a sound one that actually causes a sound to constantly happen around your PC, giving you a penalty to stealth (while increasing the noise level in a room, consequently making it easier for others to sneak up on you) and for bonus points if it had a chance to lure hostile area (or guard in town) NPCs to your location that would be aces.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Navi wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 am I am a little concerned that eventually, we'll just have people running around with a bunch of trapped lockboxes causing mayhem. Aside from that, I feel like the binding tendril trap is definitely one that would get you into some deep trouble if it went off in town.
However, I do really like the trap suggestions. My solution to the above would be to only have certain traps appear on stationary treasure containers. This not only eliminates the need to worry about balancing them for use by players, but also increases the danger of these types of traps.
The only comment I have as far as the locksmithing suggestions is to make raking only possible at the start of lockpicking, as doing this in the middle of picking will most likely ruin the progress made.
I can't vouch for how the justice system works in COGG - I've only seen one interaction with them and I'm fairly certain is was a staff-played character causing shenanigans - but if there is an automated Guard/Justice system, I would imagine this would give enough people pause about causing mayhem - at least in a town-setting. Other games I've played, with traps that could kill several people in one go, rarely had people go overboard with the mayhem. It would conversely add a risk to lockpicking that isn't currently there - minus the poison needle trap in a mob hunting setting.
Delphine wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am Most of my ideas for traps would be more appropriate for stationary coffers/strongboxes found out in the wild, admittedly.

I like these! I'll put them up in the second post for Rias and Gang! And I've the PERFECT idea for the glowtraps.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Locksmith Expertise:
An expert locksmith knows all of the little tricks lock-makers use when crafting locks and especially how to exploit them.
A simple reroll skill, perhaps substituting Artifice and/or intuition to help a locksmith pick harder-than-average locks.
I like this in tiers:
  1. Reroll. Flat, or maybe chance, based on a roll with locksmith skill every round to add to that round's roll. Bonus from Intuition and smaller from Awareness.
  2. Allows the locksmith to add their Artifice skill to their lockpicking roll. I'm thinking something small, more flavor than anything substantial. Like twenty percent? That's only a eighty point addition with four-hundred Artifice, and 140 with seven-hundred Artifice. Not sure how unwilling Rias is to bend past the D800 limit that Locksmithing currently gives. Rias?
  3. Another reroll chance / more chance for initial reroll?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Code: Select all

1 year-of-aging damage (back)
Based on seeing the "aging damage" thing in the OOC roundtable today: Aging-damage (maybe it does a lil bit of durability damage to gear on the hit location, or to lockpick in use) as an occult trap for particularly rare and high value lockboxes/coffers/etc. would be kinda neat.