Logs & Woodcutting

Share your feedback about COGG.
Beargasm

Logs & Woodcutting

Post by Beargasm »

I am new, been messing with woodcutting, these are my impressions, also I am not sure if it is all working as intended or not - I've seen talk about this before on discord and it seems like the number of split logs has changed over time.

My PC able to fell two cedar logs from a medium cedar tree in a short enough amount of time, on the scale of minutes.

I am still in the process of chopping split logs from those two logs. So far I have claimed 300+ split logs from them, several thousand riln, flooded the entire market with split logs, and 200 points of practice in woodcutting.

It feels like this is a lot from just one tree that took like five minutes to fell. My two partial logs are still giving me split logs, not sure if there is an end in sight. At this point, I'm just trying to get them to despawn.

Timeframe spent chopping wood is several hours at this point.

Timeframe seems alright as far as slowing down riln and experience, from a game perspective. With tools and skill the number of chops/log decreases speeding the entire process up a bit.

I may be alone in this, but as a player I would much rather see riln and experience decrease in exchange for less hours spent watching my PC chop a log. If each chop process gave a few split logs, if split logs could be bundled tied and dragged instead of just carted, if split logs were a bit smaller so more than 10 could fit in a crate.

In summary: I think logs spawn too many split logs, the split log chopping process is too long (SEVERAL hours), split logs are too bulky.
Volinn

Re: Logs & Woodcutting

Post by Volinn »

This was very clearly a bug. I assume you've reported it?
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

This isn't super evidently a bug. I've done a bit more woodcutting than most people at this point, I would hazard. Each log typically is only supposed to output 20 split logs or thereabouts, but I've been noticing some trees have been acting really finicky. I've reported this in game, you should too. There's little you can do with the partially chopped log, but it does end eventually. My best was 1 log into 69 (nice) split logs.

Deceivingly, the felling process is minutes but you should still expect to spend realtime hours processing.

20 split logs occupy the same cart space as 1 log, so however much weight that is... is that.
I may be alone in this, but as a player I would much rather see riln and experience decrease in exchange for less hours spent watching my PC chop a log. If each chop process gave a few split logs, if split logs could be bundled tied and dragged instead of just carted, if split logs were a bit smaller so more than 10 could fit in a crate.

In summary: I think logs spawn too many split logs, the split log chopping process is too long (SEVERAL hours), split logs are too bulky.
Woodcutting is in a weird place with XP and riln. It dichotomizes it rather than sharing it. You can earn a lot of skillgain by splitting logs or hewing timbers by hand over a LONG period of time, but carting the timbers to the sawmill gives you no skillgain but shortens processing time by magnitudes.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Here's a proper thread hijack AND a double post. I've hit woodcutting public training cap of 400, and maximized my available tools for woodcutting. I wanted to give some feedback on Logs and Woodcutting.

A bit more transparency on the available product on a SURVEY or EXAMINE would be really helpful. Being able to estimate the number of logs before you cut down a tree, for example, using some sort of syntax to survye a specific tree.
Being able to target a specific tree for felling using the partially felled/slightly felled modifiers would be good as well.
Being able to see the number of split logs you could get on a log on an EXAMINE. Right now, we get some transparent feedback during the processing of a tree, but being able to CONSIDER a task external of doing it would be good as well.
Per the changelog:

- Felling and chopping trees (de-branching, chopping logs, splitting logs) now happens significantly faster, with axe quality and sharpness playing a larger role in felling time. Efficiency increases are no longer large jumps at designated skill thresholds - now each point in the skill counts toward shaving seconds off the total chop time of a tree.
- Felled trees now have significantly fewer branches.
- When chopping branches off trees, or de-branched trees into logs, the woodcutter will now get an estimate of how long it will take them to completely finish the process. (This estimate considers the tool they have in hand as well as their skill.)
I forgot to mention in that first changelog that the roundtime is now always 5 seconds, and skill essentially translates to more chopping power, making the process finish more quickly.
As always, feedback and suggestions for further tweaks are welcome. Happy logging, lumberjacks!
Felling, de-branching, and chopping logs feels very smooth in the current version of woodcutting, compared to the older model. I've had to play in buckets of a few hours, and I feel highly productive during these small pockets of time thanks to the reduction in time-to-fell. The modifiers for keen-edged and fine tools translate very smoothly into efficiency updates, and material durability weighs well for a dedicated skiller.

Felled trees now have significantly fewer branches. While there is still more than 400 lbs of straight branches from a massive tree, I've found this has drastically improved the item bloat situation from treefelling.

With roundtimes always being 5 seconds and skill not averaging to odd numbers, I do get the mild amusement of spending 5 seconds chopping a variable 1-4 second remaining workload on the final chop. It would be nice if the game took into account these fractional RTs and awarded skilled woodcutters that bit of their time back, but this is incredibly minor.

Quicktime events or random generated properties on trees and logs that lend to faster processing would be greatly appreciated. This would encourage a bit more attention during the work.
I find woodcutting soothing but the system is almost entirely self-automated at the current time, due to few inputs and lengthy autorepeating roundtimes.
I also find that losing all XP gain from processing through the sawmill operator makes the sawmill operator ability a bit of a let down, as you're spending a fair and comparable amount of time in transport that you could have with hand-hewing. Some skillgain of some type through sawmill operating timbers would be good to have. Perhaps additional riding skill for leading a steed that is carting heavy loads around, for example, or a small amount of woodcutting skill for milling logs. Sawmill times are much more generous than hewing times, but I also believe that if woodworking or woodcutting played into sawmill operations it would also be good.

Manually carving long hewn timbers and chopping split logs into blocks are two features that do not seem to improve with either woodcutting or woodworking skill. This makes the process of turning these basic materials into intermediate products incredibly time-consuming, on the scale of hours. depending on the work involved. Having some skillpoint modifier on these durations of work would be good.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Beargasm

Post by Beargasm »

Volinn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:50 am This was very clearly a bug. I assume you've reported it?
It is reported now, but this was not very clearly a bug - at least to a new player in a game where several crafts take RL hours to complete. There are discord chats from just a month ago where people say that each log can spawn 40+ chopped logs, and that logs with 'significantly more than that' have been found. I thought this was as intended - hence putting a post in feedback about how it felt didn't really make sense and saying a suitable fix would be reducing the number of logs, the profit from them, or the xp gained from them.

Keep in mind that at starting woodcutting levels, you only really get four split logs before being winded and needing to break. So it wasn't like the split logs were gathering up fast. This was something I realized after many hours, with breaks to try carving wood blocks and figurines. This whole thing played out over three days before I really realized that the number of split logs was truly getting ridiculous. And I kept getting the partially chopped logs mixed up, so I wasn't sure if I was on split log 25/40, or 50/40 - or even a potentially higher number.