Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Rias
DEV

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Rias »

jerc wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 am Not a question about Mistral Lake the city, but are lithics available in the wilderness areas that were released at the same time as Mistral?
Whoops! That was an oversight. Per today's changelog: Some forageable flint has been added to the following wilderness regions: Central Mistveil Dominion, Kveldsongr Woods, Flametip Plains.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I think it's been mentioned before, but it would be nice if people could choose to start a new character in Mistral Lake. There is very low influx of new blood as only people who've been playing COGG know enough to travel to Mistral, and even that is a full commitment.

I think there's a subconscious bias or border between Mistral and Shadgard as to which is more 'starter' and which is more 'experienced' and it shouldn't be that way. I'd love to get an influx of new players asking how to mine or fish, and a general din and air of energy.

Mistral is a very quiet scene, but it's one because everyone here is already self confident in what they do. Starter tasks in Mistral that teach people to fill out citizenship and commerce permits would be needed.

Fellborn mentioned if there was anything we were lacking other than a steam crusher. There are no large pelts easily available to Mistral Citizens. Some moose or reindeer we could hunt would be nice.

The bark off of oak logs can't be ground into bulk tannin. This seems an oversight, as fir bark grinds just fine.

Rias mentioned here in a post last October, "I think I agree with @jerc. Occult practitioners will already feel more welcome in Mistral without all the side-eye and prejudice they'd normally get in Shadgard, to say nothing of the ability to openly use sorcery abilities within town. Throwing study points in would probably be taking Mistral Lake from "more accepting of and comfortable for Occult practitioners" to more of a no-brainer for multiple classes and their leveling/skillup experience, and I don't know that I want the class population to be quite that heavily skewed between the factions."

Does this mean I can draw occult circles in town?
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Two thoughts. One: I think Mistral Lake really needs a meeting room of some sort for town meetings. Maybe just something in the Citizen Services Hall, if you think that'd thematically be a good space for it? I was imagining something north when you first walked in.

Two: This led me to thinking about what if there was an actual university in Mistral Lake? One of the main pro-Dominion talking points is the better education Dominion citizens can enjoy, so I think this would be a great way to showcase that. It could also be another donation project (and you know how we love our donation projects up in the foggy north) and the end result could be a space with plenty of flavor and maybe a lecture room or two that can be used for RP. Maybe even a communal laboratory where questionable - I MEAN totally ethical - experiments can take place?

As ever, happy to contribute words to either (or both) of these ideas.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Fellborn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:44 pm With the new rash of players in Mistral Lake, feedback on zones/things you were used to around Shadgard but doesn't seem as available any more would be useful.
Beyond the steam crusher. Not happening.
From 100 to 200, I found myself going down to Shadgard to attack guardians and bog bodies in Shadgard's Graveyard. I did not find enemies of the same skill in the Mistral Environs, though I found enemies for the 0-100 in the environs and the distance to the 300-400 range are about similar to Shadgard's. It worked out since I made a cool friend in game thanks to the coincidences. If an enemy does exist in this range, I apologize - I did not find it!

Shadgard has bluestem which is weaveable, which was really handy as a beginner to professional wicker weaver in or near Shadgard. While Luccerene can be used in place of feed, it can't be used to weave wicker.

I don't think I've seen an Acrobatics trainer in or around Mistral Lake.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Dennis wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:03 pm
Fellborn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:44 pm With the new rash of players in Mistral Lake, feedback on zones/things you were used to around Shadgard but doesn't seem as available any more would be useful.
Beyond the steam crusher. Not happening.
From 100 to 200, I found myself going down to Shadgard to attack guardians and bog bodies in Shadgard's Graveyard. I did not find enemies of the same skill in the Mistral Environs, though I found enemies for the 0-100 in the environs and the
You might have missed a very nearby zone with Infested in the low 100s range.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

An "I LOVE THE DOMINION" Gift Store that people can buy exorbitantly priced tchotchkes and knick-knacks like obnoxiously printed glassware would be great.

In ye olde CLOK there was a tea shop that sold teacups, teapots, and teas that we could steep in the teapot to pour out. I'd love to see that come back around. I also remember being the first to break the teapots and being called a waffle by Rias, so if the store also sold waffles and cream as a sit-down food I would feel venerated.
Maina

Post by Maina »

Hat shop? Or hats added to the existing shop? Pretty please? (fascinators and witch-hats, particularly!)
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Is your hat purchasing permit up to date?

Also you'll need a class B hat license to wear head coverings within dominion territory. You can pick out the forms you need to fill out in triplicate between 1:37pm and 1:39pm on every third Wednesday of the month (on a bi-monthly basis).
Serity

Post by Serity »

Maina wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 amFor characters who focus on lockpicking/artifice and not combat, Mistral Lake's zones have far fewer mobs and no-take chests to practice on. Something like like 2-4 mobs per zone, vastly dwarfed by Shadgard's options in Ravenwood and Tarueka.

You simply can't level up via artifice on the Mistral Lake side like you can on the Shadgard side right now.

Fellborn asked about training gaps on Discord a while back. I think the Mistral side could really use a sprawling zone on the level of Ravenwood/Tarueka. For non-combatant adventurer types, primarily, but they're also helpful for warriors to get a lot of variety in one place.

Really just need a place with a lot of pickpocket targets.

Just something of a wishlist item for the future!
To add onto this (the above still hasn't really been addressed), there is a massive discrepancy in scavengable areas between the North and the South. Generalized numbers here to avoid spoilers (I know how many specifically per zone) but they're not pretty:
South: 69-ish
(note: unknown for Kildr Dale, Icewind but I'm assuming none?)

Middlish-though-closer-to-South: 48-ish
(note: unknown for Redleaf but didn't spot any in the outer areas)

North: 13-14
(note: unknown for Ebon Pass, Tanglewood, Canim Camp, Rakkan Pass, Qiri Mountains, though these are all either incredibly dangerous or not easy to access compared to the south)

Middlish-though-closer-to-North:
Valeria x 14? Unsure about northwest quarter but potentially +7-10 more?
(note: Unknown for Bristlebane but c'mon)
I know the north's just lacking in larger zones in general, but the Abandoned Caravan and its tunnels would be an easy analogue to Tarueka's farmhouse/barn, and the Vatnfjall Ruins themselves are-- well. Ruins, and they're around the level of a mid-level scavenging zone in the south. Vanir Mines (upper and lower) might also be options, there were people living in that area in the past. Maybe a few more in the safer parts of Valeria.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Canim and northwest quarter have two each so often never feel worth it to try unless I want a bit of adrenaline sneaking in. Hiring a guard cost me more than the contents there most times (coffers included in Canim camp). Tanglewood has a decent amount, Red Leaf, Kildr Dale, Ebon Pass, Rakkan Pass, Icewind and Bristbane have none that I know of. I will say I don't look at those areas often because there aren't scavenge spots, and the north needs more coffer/strongbox locations as well as scavenge spots. I do wonder at the idea of the cool down on scavenging being increased to 7 hours if more locations are added, unless loot contents begin to gain consumables or player valuable contents that aren't immediately high value to sell direct to the market.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time