Crafting Suggestions - Fist-Load Weapons

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Squeak

Crafting Suggestions - Fist-Load Weapons

Post by Squeak »

***1st EVER post - don't crucify me for posting in the wrong area***

Since, to my knowledge, only Nightblade’s have regular access to knuckledusters and spiked knuckles, I don’t know if other classes can use them. I would assume so, since they’d probably be a really useful off-hand weapon for the main-gauche ability. Considering that, and how Nightblades would be the “premier” class to utilize them, consider the following:

Forge Advanced Fist Weapons:
This ability allows the crafter to construct advanced fist-load weapons for use in close and personal situations.
OOC: Enables recipes for push dirks (alternatively: push dagger, punch dagger, faustmesser, fist knife), caestus, spiked caestus, hookclaws (tiger-claws or baghnakh), knuckledusters and spiked knuckles.

Firstly, new crafting components:

some <material> spikes
Base Material: Ingot or metal bloom
a push dirk blade
Base Material: Ingot or metal bloom (metalworking)
Lithic material (knapping)
a thin <material> plate
Base material: Ingot or metal bloom
some small <material> blades
Base material: Ingot or metal bloom
a <material> t-hilt
Base Material: Ingot or small bloom (metalworking)
A medium straight branch (woodworking)
A <material> leather hand binding
Base Material: Ridgeleather

Now for the fun stuff:

Code: Select all

A <material>-hilted <material> push dirk
	A small, easily concealed dagger that fits snugly against the palm with a short blade extending through the middle- and ring-finger of the hand and utilizes the force generated from the body to cause harm.

It is comprised of the following components:
	a push dirk blade
	t-hilt
	rivets

It is a small-sized item, the business end of the weapon made of <material>. It could be wielded in in melee combat as a fist-class weapon with one hand and would give you negligible reach.
May also be thrown.
Deals slashing and piercing damage.

A hardened <material> (spiked) caestus
	Appearing as a sort of leather glove that secures around the wrist by means of metal buckles, across the back of the hand and secured at the fingers, this caestus features a hardened leather striking surface that protects the user’s knuckles from harm.

It is comprised of the following major components:
	A leather hand binding
	<material> buckles
	thread
	(some small spikes x2 for spiked version)

It is a small-sized item made of <material>.  It could be wielded in melee combat as a fist-class weapon with one hand and would give you negligible reach.
Deals blunt (and piercing for spiked).

A <material>-ringed <material> hookclaw
	Twin rings, attached to a thin metal plate that rests against the palm, go over the first and pinky fingers with three small, 2 inch blades protruding from between the fingers.

It is comprised of the following major components:
	A thin <metal> plate
	some small <material> blades
	a <material> ring (x2)
	rivets

It is a small-sized item, the business end of the weapon made of <material>. It could be wielded in in melee combat as a fist-class weapon with one hand and would give you negligible reach.
Deals slashing damage.
Knuckles and spiked knuckles are (in theory) already in game, so I would just suggest for components:
Knuckles: Ingot or metal bloom
Spiked Knuckles: Ingot or metal bloom
Some small <material> spikes

edited for readability
Last edited by Squeak on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squeak

Crafting Suggestions - Additional Crafting Miscellany

Post by Squeak »

Turning this into a general metalworking crafting suggestion musing:

Suggestions for advanced crafter skills akin to (keen-edged):
I would suggest that these are mutually-exclusive options, for example: A crafter can sharpen until the blade is sharp and then assemble it to be a (insert bonus). Or they can continue sharpening to get keen-edged.

Or ... however the system could handle it. Other options for consideration:

(well-balanced) For a skilled crafter, the nuances of weight distribution and balance are trivial. One such crafter can make a superbly balanced weapon that moves as if an extension of the user's arm.
[OOC} For thrown weapons, perhaps it adds to a re-roll for multi-throw, or for non-throwing, adds to parry rerolls. Perhaps it could reduce energy consumption for attack and parries.

(perfect-temper) Crafting is a skill learned through a lifetime of mistakes and failures. A keen-eyed craftsman learns to differentiate the perfect coloration in metals as it heats up to find that perfect temper that seems to resist damage, even when heavily used.
[OOC] Increased durability (or conversely, decreased durability damage) for the item, up to and including metal armor.

(rifled) Recently developed by the gunsmiths in Khaldea, this additional crafting step has revolutionized firearms by spinning the bullet as it leaves the barrel, giving the projectile a much more accurate trajectory. Conversely, though, it takes longer for these types of firearms to be loaded due to the tighter tolerances needed.
[OOC] Bonus accuracy towards hitting a certain body part at the expense of higher loading roundtimes.

(weighted) Like all crafters, metalsmiths are prone to experimenting with their chosen medium. Some such adventurous crafter opted to add additional weight towards the blunt head of a mace and created a device capable of inflicting grievous wounds and has considerable knockdown power. Unfortunately, the effect of swinging such a weapon is considerably more tiring than a similar weapon.
[OOC] For crushing weapons, increases the increases the weapon's effort up one or two tiers but increase the chance for knockdown and stagger. Technically, I would assume any weapon could benefit from this in some way and not just blunt weapons.

Additionally, I'd love to see more crafting options. Things that I've seen that have come up:
ball-and-chains (already in game but not craft able to my knowledge)
a trench club (a shortened wood club bound about the end in metal and spikes)

These two because there seems to be a shortage of one-handed only crushing weapons that aren't thrown in nature. Can't use Tactics: NIghtblade with a mace!

Also for consideration:
Pnuematic Pistol Air Tanks:
Pipe Short (long for muskets) Pipe Length (NEW), pipe fittings cap, pipe fittings air-release coupler (NEW)
[Note: These should be one of the main failure points for firearm malfunction, possibly rendering the firearm inoperable (due to a squib - bullet didn't have enough energy passing through the barrel) or the seals need repairing. Of course, fouling would be need to be cleaned out of the barrel as well, but not so often as flintlocks.]
Some sort of "magazine" for pistols and rifles made up of sheet metal and screws or something. Haven't thought this one through very much, just using the Girandoni Air Rifle as a basis, which used 20 round magazines or tubes attached directly to a spring-loaded sliding breech lock.

Lastly, and I've seen this mentioned before, but CUSTOM options for crafting, perhaps with loot-found recipes or learned recipes through somewhere throughout the lands with out of the way Smiths.
I'll edit this when I find the suggested list of suggested weapon "styles".

Take, for instance, you want to make an epee, you could build a rapier and when ATTACHING the appropriate parts, ATTACH MAKE EPEE or something. Or perhaps when the blade is being forged. It could also go towards more elaborate hilts or pommels, i.e. a copper basket hilt for rapiers or a disk-shaped pommel (though this wouldn't necessarily be shown in the items short).
Rias
DEV

Re: Crafting Suggestions - Fist-Load Weapons

Post by Rias »

I just wanted to thank you for the suggestions and encourage you and others to keep making them. I've been plotting out a bunch of abilities and recipes and such so it's great to have more to draw on and throw into the mixing bowl!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

As long as it doesn't become something of an op everyone's go to sort of unrealism, I'm happy. A punch knife or two wouldn't hurt. Hand to hand weapons can be deadly too in very close range.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Thank you! These posts are so detailed and well-thought out. I've been hoping that knuckles and similar could be used by more than just nightblades.
I don't have new ideas, just wanted to say thanks, and that I'm looking forward to whatever comes of these.
Squeak

Re: Crafting Suggestions - Cartridge Boxes/Cartridges

Post by Squeak »

For your perusal – CARTRIDGE BOXES!
Traditionally, these were small boxes, crafted from wood or metal and covered with a waterproofed material; they allowed soldiers to have ready access to premade bundles of shot and powder. The cartridge would then be torn open with one’s teeth, powder poured down the barrel and the remainder (with the shot) could be jammed down afterwards. The paper would then act as a wad for the bullet, which was typically undersized to make loading this way easier.

Inspiration for this came from having to juggle encumbrance while carrying a pistol, five shots, and a full powderhorn. And because they’re cool and would make loading pistols a tad-bit easier.

Without further ado; three new crafting recipes!
** New Crafting Recipe – a (material)-covered cartridge box **
A small cartridge box that can be attached to a belt or worn over the shoulder with an adjustable strap.
It is a small item, mainly made of (material).
It can be worn on a belt.
It is a container that can hold items of a size up to small, with a capacity of 10.
It is possible to close and open this container.
Skill(s) required: Tailoring (0)
Cloth required: 3
The following additional components are required to craft this item:
- a skein of thread (x3)
- a metal buckle (x1)
- a wooden cartridge box (x1)
Steps: 40
** New Crafting Component – a wooden cartridge box **
A rough square block of (material) wood, drilled with ten holes to fit handmade paper cartridges.
It is a small item, mainly made of (material).
Skill(s) required: Woodworking (0), Bushcraft (0), -OR- Woodcutting (0)
Crafted from: log split (It is possible some of the base component will be left over for further crafting use.)
Tools required:
- something to chop with
- something to drill with
Steps: 20
Considering your current skill, you figure you could achieve the following quality:
Woodworking: average(+0)
*** New Crafting Recipe – paper-wrapped cartridge ***
A small, tubular paper cartridge combining some shot and powder for ease of reloading flintlock firearms.
It is a tiny item, mainly made of paper
It can be loaded into and fired with a firearm
Skill(s) required: ??????????
The following components are required to craft this item:
- a square of parchment
- a powderhorn
- a (material) shot
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Ye-eees, please, to the paper cartridges. I've been planning to suggest them for a long time now, but I've been holding out until I get around to posting my long, obnoxious, nitpicky suggestions on the way pistols work in COGG. I've actually RP'd making cartridges in the past.

The only problem with implementing cartridges right now would be that in practical, real-world terms, paper cartridges for muzzleloaders are a time-saving expedient in the process of loading, and loading a firearm in COGG takes such a short time that you can't really shave off any of those seconds.

Also, can we get lead added as a castable metal? Iron and copper balls have been used to some extent historically, but they're really very far from ideal for solid round ball ammunition. They could damage the bore, and, crucially for a muzzleloader, they couldn't be easily pulled with a ball puller in the event of a misfire wherein the main charge won't go off.

I'd like to see lead as the standard for round ball (and sling bullets, too) with maybe one of the denser fantasy metals like felbronze or kobaltarn or whatever as a sort of luxury upgrade.

Anyway. Stay tuned for my obnoxious post about how muzzleloaders work.