Sawmills!

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Sawmills!

Post by Rias »

Sawmills can now actually be used to quickly process logs into hewn timbers and timbers into long planks! They require the Sawmill Operator ability and the Woodcutting skill to operate. The ability is currently available in the Shadgard sawmill. I couldn't find a sawmill in or around Mistral Lake, and I'll look into getting one added tomorrow after I check with the more Mistral-focused GMs to make sure I didn't overlook. I apologize but I'm about to fall asleep at the keyboard so I can't do it quite yet, so those interested in trying this out right now, you'll have to head over to the Shadgard mill to do so.

This is also the start of my effort to start building out skill-based ability trees! I have a few more for Woodcutting that will be easy to implement but again - about to nod off at the keyboard, so I'll get them in tomorrow. Usual request for feedback, and suggestions for what else the sawmills might be used for. Careful around all that heavy machinery and those really big saw-blades!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Guillaumo

Re: Sawmills!

Post by Guillaumo »

Yew are the best!
Staz

Post by Staz »

Delightful! Superb! Bravissimo!

But... stop overworking yourself! We can get updates in the morning and be happy then.

As for other uses for Sawmills, you might have someone show up periodically as an event and sell high-end or cool looking logging tools. "A fine bronze logging-axe stamped with a lion's head" or "a rugged heavy leather hatchet bandolier".:P

You could also have a system like the repairs system where people without the woodworking/woodcutting skills could pay to order an item and pick it up the next day. I think if it's a very small menu with a 24 hour turnaround it's likely not to be able to be abused.

The ability to make logs into split logs and dice the split logs into blocks with be great.

A half-and-half setting that awards a mix of split logs and medium planks would be amazing. (I'm still misty-eyed over how perfect making a handcart out of one juniper tree was, but it would also be handy for people wanting to stock the Market.)

Maybe you could mulch a cedar or pine log into wood chips that farmers could use to keep weeds at bay. Or, putting on my evil Staz hat, you could make Growth cause a significant number of weeds to sprout if the soil doesn't have mulch already when it's cast. Then there would be a woodcutting market with Farmers.

"Oops! All Bark!" setting for fir logs? XD

Oh, you could have sanding and polishing services. Mismatched wood planks could be sanded to make them into pine planks or something for a fee, so they aren't tainted forever. The Sawmill could have lacquer for polishing wood, either as a purchasable service or for Woodcutters to do with the Sawmill Operator ability. It just adds the word "polished" to a wooden item's description.

Maybe you could feed it a dye to add "polished dyecolor" to the description? So like holding a wintergreen dye in your right hand and typing "polish handcart dye right" would have your character apply several coats over a few minutes and then you have like a "polished wintergreen spruce-planked handcart". "Polished antique-brass amberwood chest." "Polished white ash wardrobe." That would be neat.

Maybe at like Woodcutting 400 and Construction 400 with the Sawmill Operator perk, you could pre-cut logs directly into the appropriate materials for your projects and have them floated down the river to Shadgard? By which I mean you'd pick them up in the stockade office. So I don't know the syntax yet, but something like "saw logs prep large animal shed" would take 13 logs and process them into long planks, then process 40 into medium planks, and finally process 20 of those into short planks. It all gets virtualized and can be picked up later at the Stockade office. You could only do them one at a time, so you'd have to pick up all the wood from one recipe before you could do another, to stop people using the Stockade as infinite wood storage.

Another idea would be to have the workers at the office deliver something like a "lumber bale" directly to your farm, but this would require builders to have farms of their own. Most do though, I think. Anyway, it would be like a temporary item and you'd just "unwrap bale" to cut all the cords securing it and be left with the planks you ordered.
Staz

Post by Staz »

Thought I'd post this here since it seems relevant but let me know if I should put it in the suggestions thread. A very handy woodcutting recipe would be a Hauling Sled. Basically you'd need two large logs to craft it, and once completed you could stack up to five large logs on it at a time.

You couldn't pull it by yourself, of course, unless it was totally empty, and it would take as much energy as a chock full handcart. With a couple logs on there, you could probably pull it with a mule or one other person, and it's slightly more costly in terms of energy.

Three or more and you'll need either a bunch of people or yourself and at least one workhorse. With five, you would need at least two workhorse pulling alongside you just to move it, and ideally other people/mounts helping because it would use something like 75 energy per move if not assisted.

Each party assisting in the effort would require their own rope to either hitch an animal to the sled or tie on and pull themselves. The members pulling would need to be in a group based on the first person to attach their rope.

Basically it would be neat if it's possible to sacrifice twice the wood to make something about as efficient as a handcart in terms of travel time and exhaustion, but allowing people to only make one trip to/from the Sawmill or town.

Alternatively: These could be rentals available at the Sawmill. Maybe with a flavor text hired hand who comes along for an additional fee to make sure you can heave the logs into the sled. He doesn't make good enough money to pull it for you, though. In fact, he'll probably stand on top of the log pile going back, ostensibly keeping everything secure, and slow the player down a bit more.

Also, it would be ideal for these to be compatible with logs only, maybe also split logs and timbers . That way newbies can go out searching for ash trees and rich veteran carpenters can show off their four-workhorse hauling team.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

Mistral Lake now has a sawmill!

It's the same place as the griding mill as a single waterwheel can power both a gristmill and a sawmill, and a lack of many rivers in the Mistral Environs make it pretty difficult to place.

You can learn the new ability there as well as training.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I gave the sawmills a run today. I really like the way we're encouraged to stop the sawmill every time we're done before we can claim our prized timbers or planks. It makes it so much easier for the next person or run of the sawmill to happen.
An unrelated issue with sawmills, but with a maximum of two logs per handcart means a LOT of trips to and from the destinations of the sawmill and marketplace for one tree. Is it time to consider wagons? Or a reduction to the size/weight of a log?
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."