Woodcutting efficiency updates

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Woodcutting efficiency updates

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog:

- Felling and chopping trees (de-branching, chopping logs, splitting logs) now happens significantly faster, with axe quality and sharpness playing a larger role in felling time. Efficiency increases are no longer large jumps at designated skill thresholds - now each point in the skill counts toward shaving seconds off the total chop time of a tree.
- Felled trees now have significantly fewer branches.
- When chopping branches off trees, or de-branched trees into logs, the woodcutter will now get an estimate of how long it will take them to completely finish the process. (This estimate considers the tool they have in hand as well as their skill.)

I forgot to mention in that first changelog that the roundtime is now always 5 seconds, and skill essentially translates to more chopping power, making the process finish more quickly.

As always, feedback and suggestions for further tweaks are welcome. Happy logging, lumberjacks!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Re: Woodcutting efficiency updates

Post by artus »

Loooove that, thank you! I'm celebrating ooc now!
Staz

Post by Staz »

As I said on Discord the moment i saw this, I am HOOTING AND HOLLERING INCOHERENTLY

this is amazing

My skin is clear, my crops are watered (or, they aren't, since I'm out logging)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Not tried a tree, especially with someone with skill, so I'll just say from an outside perspective, step in the right direction. Thank you. Should help out lots. Would be nice if cutting skill could also help time carving timbers, but eh, that's just QoL at that point.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Staz

Post by Staz »

With approx 250 woodcutting and fine iron tools, a large tree can now be felled in 10 minutes. The resulting logs do still take 80-90 minutes to carve into Timbers, but if I can transport them to the Sawmill to get the new Sawmill Operator ability, that should speed things up. Ironically I decided to sacrifice a log to become split logs and ended up delaying myself because now they're too bulky to transport and I have to turn them all into blocks.

For reference to those curious, I tested a few tools. The slowest debranching tool was a copper pickaxe which indicated a completion time of about 3 minutes, while the fastest was my fine steel hatchet which debramched a large tree in 1:46. Unable to test with other steel tools yet, but the difference is not too punishing at all.

I will probably roll up a new character I was thinking of making and give it a go as a complete beginner to see how that is, but I think this will drive a lot of woodcutting engagement
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I noticed I could not figure out the command to target specific trees. For example, I couldn't type FELL PARTIALLY-FELLED LARGE OAK TREE in a room where there are three oak trees. When I tried, it would tell me it couldn't find that tree. When I type FELL LARGE OAK TREE, it doesn't take number targets either so I can't do FELL LARGE OAK TREE 2 either. This necessitates that I fell every large oak tree in the queue to get to that particular one.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."