The Truth about Shadgard's Mysterious Barrier

A place to share those crazy "out there" theories that staff won't give any official comment on.
Navi

The Truth about Shadgard's Mysterious Barrier

Post by Navi »

If you check out the descriptions around the barrier and church areas, as well as the steam works, you’ll notice that the steam works is more or less situated directly above the barrier. Today’s crack pot theory explains that this is no coincidence.
The barrier isn’t a barrier at all, but some ancient machine capable of generating heat, which is then utilize in the steam works. The steam works themselves mentions in the description that there are pipes leading into it from the outside, but the description on the outside makes no mention of them, and unlike every other area of the town with running pipes, it is not warmed. I take this to mean that the pipes are of no consequence, and possibly lend power to external systems around town, rather than feed into the steam works themselves. So where then is the steam works getting its energy from? If we look more closely at the steam work’s description, it says that there are pipes coming in from the cavern's wall itself. Further down in the next tunnel is a gated passage that leads down below and is restricted. This is presumably where the power is coming from. However, why then build the steam works across the canyon? Simple, because the steam works isn’t drawing its power from the same source the town is.
Need more proof? Consider this, the steam works is constantly running. It does not stop. If we are to believe it is on the same system as the rest of the town, then why is it that the steam crusher in the smithy can only go for a short time before needing to recharge? The power difference between these two projects is prominent.
In conclusion, the barrier is an ancient battery of sorts, or contains one, and the steam works leaches off of it to power its mechanics. Some additional questions are why hide this fact? What other secrets are being concealed regarding the barrier? Who is in the know about all of this?
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Verel

Re: The Truth about Shadgard's Mysterious Barrier

Post by Verel »

I mean. I love the idea of a secret project to build up the barrier as a double machine type thing. And yeah, perhaps the steam crusher runs through some separate power source. It'd have to in order to be as limited as it is because I doubt it takes that much steam to crush a rock especially when it's made primarily of metal. So, certainly a believable type of a theory based in some type of observation. Plus, wouldn't it be advantageous to have a fail safe for a place that's built in a mountain? Like, let's say this is actually true. If the pipes were blocked in some way, in order to provide warmth to the citizens, wouldn't it be a good idea to make something that doesn't necessarily run off the main pipe structure? Thus, the barrier? Seems plausible.