Bushcrafting Suggestions

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Lexx416

Re: Bushcrafting Suggestions

Post by Lexx416 »

One of the true woes of Bushcraft I've run into over the course of the game, is a lack of a way to make containers without "civilized" tools. We can make baskets from wicker, and that is useful, but there's no way to craft a quiver that doesn't require a rivet and a buckle, and even a pouch requires an awl.

I'd love to see a set of "primitive" or similar recipes, that use slightly different tools and materials, and produce goods that can't be sold at the market as they don't have an intrinsic value to civilization. So leatherworking and weaving/bushcraft might get some very primitive clothing options, container options, and perhaps some armor pieces that use their respective materials (leather and fur for leatherworking, wicker or cordage for weaving/bushcraft). The things I've found the most difficult to go without are mostly containers: weapon containers (sheaths/scabbards, haft-frogs, pole harnesses), ammo containers (I'd love to see a wicker/basket quiver that uses cordage as the strap), pouches and worn containers (being able to make a primitive basket-backpack that uses cordage straps, woven wicker pouches that attach to belts, even if they weren't closeable).

Being able to make clothes and light armor would also be ideal, but container space has been the most persistent bugbear I've come across.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
silly

Post by silly »

Could we get temporary tents of some kind? I imagine they would require poles/stakes, cordage, and lengths of leather/wool draped over them. Some websites mention sheets of bark and woven mats being used, as well.
They could require a certain amount of time to be set up, and taken down. Perhaps take damage if they are left in an area too long (tears in the material, damage from wind/rain, bandits destroying them, Etc.). Would need frequent maintenance, if players intend for them to last a while.

Maybe also a store-bought, collapsible variant that provides you with everything you might need for one, for those that just want to go on a small camping trip every now and then?
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
nobody

Post by nobody »

The other substantial one I'd like to add is bandages - it would be immensely convenient if they were on the small list of weaving recipes that did NOT require a loom. It would still be necessary to weave them before one starts bleeding out, but having them as a true bushcraft recipe would make bushcraft physicker viable and that'd be glorious.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

nobody wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:03 pm The other substantial one I'd like to add is bandages - it would be immensely convenient if they were on the small list of weaving recipes that did NOT require a loom. It would still be necessary to weave them before one starts bleeding out, but having them as a true bushcraft recipe would make bushcraft physicker viable and that'd be glorious.
I had forgotten about bandages - agree! Maybe have them fall off faster, so that there's a reason for folks to buy more "properly" made bandages.

I'd love to see a new recipe for bushcraft, used to create a new tool.

Adze head
The edged (material) head for an adze.
It is a small item, mainly made of (material).

Skill(s) required: Bushcraft (100)
Crafted from: lithic medium
Steps: 10

This is more or less a slightly more advanced hatchet head, which could be ATTACHed to a small haft with cordage. From that point on, I'd love it if we could substitute an adze for a chisel in woodworking recipes, or if we could get some primitive/bushcraft versions of different woodworked items that use an adze in place of a chisel.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."