Warlock Ritual Suggestion: Spectral Fetters

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Lexx416

Warlock Ritual Suggestion: Spectral Fetters

Post by Lexx416 »

This original came to me as an idea for Major Haunting (something I always wanted to see Rooks get in the other game, but I don't think it ever came to be during my tenure on that game), so the specific name doesn't matter to much to me. But I'd love to see an advanced rite wherein a Warlock uses some amount of soul shreds (and maybe experience?) to create a "Spectral Fetters" effect on themselves, with a duration based on Sorcery with a base of something like 30 to 60 minutes, and maybe an upward limit of 3 to 4 hours. It should also probably require a Netherwell in the room to initially cast.

The idea being that while under the effect of this ability, Warlocks get occasional Quick-Time prompts (similar to how Tactical Dodge works for Rogues), where they are promoted to FETTER a SPECTRE (fs for shorthand). Each fettering attempt requires a skill roll using sorcery, with Bad Things happening if the Sorcerer fails the roll (in an ideal world, I'd love it if a lower endroll on a loss equated to harsher problems). Each success of the roll binds a Spectre to the Warlock, acting of it's own volition to attack non-grouped entities in the room through either direct attacks (nether probably) or debuffs. Each bound Spectre increases the difficulty roll of the quick-time Fetter thing that happens.

I'd love it if there were a VARIETY of Bad Things :tm: that could happen as a result of the failed roll, with the worst things coming online as a possibility when you have multiple specters bound to you at once. Things like but not limited to (in no particular order of severity): different debuffs/curses that can be applied to the sorcerer (slows down energy regen, adds 2 travel time to the Warlock's movement for the duration, hallucinations, basically all the same curses/debuffs they could apply to enemies), being attacked by the spectres, having a chance to be "haunted" for a period (wherein specters fade in and out around the sorcerer for the duration, being generally disruptive poltergeists), shrouded in shadow for the duration (with a perception penalty, like a "failed" shadow cloak), sanity hits, morale hits.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."