Primitive leather

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Teyarflow

Primitive leather

Post by Teyarflow »

Had the idea after thinking about the struggle to find buckles sometimes. What if we could make primitive leather items without any rivets or buckles? They would damage faster and be lower quality, but it might be useful at times when you need a piece but just can't find any buckles for sale. The survival enthusiasts and people going for the deliberate primitive look would probably also like it.
Talyn

Re: Primitive leather

Post by Talyn »

I do like this idea! Though if you read the help file for leatherworking it will say you may need to make friends with a metalworker and tailor for your supplies. Market isn't the only place to find supplies you could talk with PCs for it. However, something early on for leatherworking isn't a horrible idea. Kind of like you using more thread for the project.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if we could use carve little wooden (or bone/antler, eventually) toggles, and use them in place of things like a buckle for a handful of recipes.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Rawhide is certainly a thing that people used! Could be a candidate for primitive hideworking, and it has all sorts of uses besides that.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

As a survival enthusiast going for the deliberate primitive look I would like to add my support to this suggestion.
"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Other items we would need to do primitive leatherworking without metal are a needle and an awl, which we could carve out of bone or antler with bushcraft skill. We also need to be able to cut patterns without scissors, so let us use a knife with some kind of downside to using it instead of scissors.
"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland