Ability Idea: Basic Defenses

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Reslior

Ability Idea: Basic Defenses

Post by Reslior »

Identical to Graceful Dodge, but for shields. Use 85% of armor skill in place of shield skill when determining Block rolls. All warriors + Bards, Rangers, Treasure Hunters.
Karjus

Re: Ability Idea: Basic Defenses

Post by Karjus »

Reslior wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:42 pm Identical to Graceful Dodge, but for shields. Use 85% of armor skill in place of shield skill when determining Block rolls. All warriors + Bards, Rangers, Treasure Hunters.
Not opposed to the general idea, but the difference with Graceful Dodge is that it's a secondary skill for a primary defensive skill. This would technically be a primary substituting for a primary. I realize currently armor skill is pretty irrelevant, and most people never go beyond 300 skill but you're potentially looking at a pure defensive ability doubling up.

Perhaps something more like...

Bracing Ward
A % of the character's armor skill is applied to the max roll for shield block against certain attack styles (trample/charges/mighty blow/etc) Any stagger from said attack even if successful is halved. The character also gains a brief balance replenishment.

Just spinning stuff, and I definitely would only make it Guardian instead of a generic.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."