One Last Trick

Share about your character, or get help brainstorming a concept, skill setup, backstory ... all that fun stuff!
Navi

One Last Trick

Post by Navi »

Crossing their arms, Bomani stared down the group of bandits in front of them. They didn’t even have to look behind them to know that a similar group had arrived to flank them. Their scowl deepens at realizing this, and their mood sours.
Mildly annoyed, Bomani simply states, “I have nothing for you. Now, if you would please move?”. Gesturing to the side, their aqua-marine eyes flit over the group to pick out a leader amongst them.
A heartbeat passes. Then, with a sneer, a bandit moves forward, brandishing a battered looking longsword. Dressed in tattered leathers, they seem well-adapted to their life of highway robbery. The group was lacking in any real discipline, but such things are hardly necessary when you have numbers and strength on your side. This particular bandit stood out from the others due to a pair of well-made bracers on their arms. Other than that, those in the group looked more or less indistinguishable from one another.
“Tha’s a fine pair of goggles yas gots thar friend.”, they declare, their demand made clear to Bomani.
Quickly responding with, “Not going to happen.” they shrug and followup with, “Wouldn’t fit you or your friends. Anyhow they'd just give you a headache.” It was a lie. The goggles had an adjustable strap that would likely fit all but the largest of giganti. Fidgeting with the goggles resting atop their forehead, they glance about in hopes of spying some way out.
Momentarily, their thoughts wander. “I thought I was unassuming. It’s not like I wore any flashy jewelry, and I’m not carrying any expensive looking weapons.” In fact, he had only a few things of value on him. He doubted any number of treasures would be enough to walk away from this group with his life anyway. If there was one thing he was sure of after arriving in these lands, it was the sheer presence of unquenchable blood thirst among its residence. Few even viewed the concept of nonviolence or limited violence as an option. It was particularly prevalent among the undying, and truthfully exhausting to Wrench. This group had probably just gotten bored of waiting for a prime target to pass and decided to have some fun with him.
The situation wasn’t looking too promising. The bandits had been waiting for the perfect opportunity to block him from escaping by flanking the bridge as he crossed, and with the group right in front of him, his only option was rather bleak. He’d rather die than be rolled over by some two-bit gang of robbers though. With any luck, he’d get his wish. He was undying after all. What was one more senseless death. A night of drinking, a nightmare and some bad memories, and all would be right once more.
While Bomani was lost in his musings, the bandit from before was not idle. Stepping closer to him, they decided that waiting for compliance was needless, and proceed to reach for the goggles instead. Staring incredulously at the bandit, Bomani simply steps several paces to the side, closing the distance to their goal.
“Really?” they indignantly ask.
Rolling their eyes, the bandit stomps over causing Bomani to retreat further back towards the side of the bridge, their group closing in to form a half circle around them. “Com’on then, em’tay dos pockets pard. Hate ta make dem all blood stained an’da like!” They retort. Pressing their blade closer, they darkly add, “Lady folk neva like dems bloody do dey.”
Right about now would be a perfect time to pull off some trick and escape, but the reality of the situation was that he was rusty. His tricks were simply that; tricks. They would hardly work well-enough on this group. One, perhaps, but… Though maybe there was another way.
Canting his head to the side, Bomani adopts a look of confusion, then looks about distractedly. “Do you hear that?” he asks curiously.
Looking between one another, they look for a sign amongst themselves. A few of the bandits even seem to avert their attention to try and pick up on whatever Wrench had noticed.
Suddenly, with a loud shout of “Look!”, his head snaps towards the side of the bridge he had come from and points, arm extended.
Unbelievably, every single one of the bandits turn and look, some with shock, and some with fear. A moment passes, and then they just look pissed, turning back to watch the idiot who just tricked them scrabbling over the stones to drop into the frigid rapids below the bridge. Cursing loudly, they move off disgruntled, resetting to await the next victim.
He had hoped for something to latch onto at the last moment, but nothing presented itself. Still, he had mentally prepared himself for this eventuality, hadn't he? The joy of tricking the group quickly fades to disappointment and helplessness as he fails to arrest his fall. The waters are icy, and, in mere moments, the pain of the relentless rocks smashing into him thankfully dulls as a result. The only thing colder than the freezing waters is the embrace of death and darkness.
The end

OOC: It's been great role playing with everyone with Wrench. Exiting the world with an undying character is pretty difficult, especially once they get wrapped up in various stories. I apologize for their abrupt departure, but hopefully their absence hasn't been noticeable enough to cause anyone real distress. In case it needs to be explicitly stated, spoiler, yes, Bomani is retired.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
artus

Re: One Last Trick

Post by artus »

Well, I know someone or two here will cry. You'll see.
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

I'm sorry; I've only just now noticed this.

I'll miss that character tremendously. I hope we'll be RPing together in other ways, and soon, but I'll never forget Wrench.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Loads of mixed feelings with regards to Wrench. I hope they've finally found peace and somewhere to belong.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I do hope that I haven't started a trend of making characters vanish all of a sudden for final deaths. Glad you did what felt right, of course, but still. Much as life is fleeting and can often end in surprising ways, it was certainly uh...an inopportune time. LOL.

I also had mixed feelings on the character, but it was a good one, even if sometimes I wanted to cut him. Keep on keeping on with good characters, man.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.