Warlocks

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

Warlocks

Post by Rias »

The Warlock class is now available! Check out their horribly lacking wiki page here to see a list of some of the fun abilities aspiring Warlocks can look forward to: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index.php/Warlock
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Warlocks

Post by Rias »

Some tips:

* Don't forget to buy a sorcery focus in the warlock training area. That's what those bone rings are for. You need to be holding or wearing it channel sorcery.
* Use the SORCERY command to channel sorcery and RELEASE command to stop. You lose 1 energy per second per channel of sorcery you are maintaining.
* After picking up the Sorcery skill, you can use the STUDY command in the warlock training room to study sorcery. This will cause a lot of roundtime and give you a good chunk of experience and Sorcery practice ranks.
* While channeling sorcery, simply CAST <target> to throw a damaging blob of nether at them as a ranged attack.
* Pick up the Ranged Combat skill if you want to use the raw nether cast attacks, Binding Tendril, and/or Essence Leech effectively. Ranged combat training can be found in the town barracks.
* Shadow Cloak is awesome, but it is illegal to use in town. They don't like people running around being impossible to identify, because that's crime just waiting to happen. While there's no penalty coded in as of yet, there will be soon(tm) where Cloaked individuals will find themselves forcefully apprehended by local law enforcement if seen. So be careful with that.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Exciting! I love the look of the sorcerery specialization, and I cant wait to see the others!
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

(Not sure if this should go here or its own thread)

Regarding studying - the cooldown between studying seems to currently be about 11 hours. So if you're extra diligent it's possible to study at the same location up to twice a day. This is great. My only issue is since it's 11 hours, sometimes you can't quite make that window and therefore only get to study once a day - which is fine, but not great given the current small pool of study locations. I was wondering if you might consider reducing the cooldown from 11 hours to somewhere in the 8-10 hour range. It would still allow only about 2x each day per location, but give just a bit more leniency in case you miss your study window.

I was also wondering if there will be other options for non-combative scholars to fill their bucket somewhat soon-ish (either through practicing other scholarly/non-combat skills, performing tasks, or more study locations). Currently I don't think you can get a full bucket purely by studying. And with the cooldowns, you can only potentially fill the bucket once a day which makes progress much slower than other classes/builds that can maintain a full bucket all day if they wanted to.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Oh, also - this class is super neat so far. Thanks for the hard work!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Let the study cooldown henceforth be 8 hours (for all skill studies, not just warlocks/sorcery).

Scholarfolk do need more ways to skill up their occult-type abilities. Any ideas for warlocks? Task ideas would be great. I want to mostly avoid scholars skilling up their studious skills via combat, so try to avoid combat-centric suggestions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Task ideas:
  • Copying old letters/manuscripts/scrolls/tomes to new ones due to wear and tear
  • Finding samples of substance X,Y,Z for research - Physikers to bring in herbal samples to make remedies with/Warlocks if they need to bring in various woods, stones, metals, animal skins, bones to test sorcery against for durability or structural components for constructs)
  • Cleaning the library. (Like the lamplighting or stable cleaning tasks already in-place - could include lighting lamps in the library or sweeping the floors/dusting the shelves)
  • Shelving books. (Get a stack of books and put them in the appropriate rooms based on topic)
  • Checking books for damage. (Get a stack of books and look through each page for eaten/stained/ripped pages that need to be copied and replaced)
  • Studying schematics or testing mechanical workings with sorcerous binding or influence
  • Archiving or cataloging artifacts brought into the library
  • Dig at X location to find relics and bring them back (could be simple stuff like old pottery/dishes for anthropological studies - or more fancy stuff like phylacteries or items imbued with nether from long-dead sorcerers)
  • Study nether tainted lands at X location
  • Translate from X to Y (might have to go through several pages of a text for written translation or listen to a traveling/foreign teacher dictate their cultural lore that needs to be transcribed)
  • Weed the library garden (assuming when the library gets a description that maybe it has a garden somewhere?)
  • Feed/tend library messenger pigeons (also doesn't exist yet, but hey, it could happen!)
  • Heal/tend/repair resident scholar's animates or creations
Might be able to think of more later. Some of these would probably be fairly easy to implement given what's already in the game. I imagine most of them would be something a character could do maybe once a day or less and maybe they could pick between several like the town tasks which give a choice.