Death Overhaul

Hear ye, hear ye!
Navi

Re: Death Overhaul

Post by Navi »

To add on to Delphine's suggestion, perhaps a message on the other side to let them know that someone is seeking them? If this change gets put in to alert the person seeking that they're getting closer or further away, perhaps after ringing the bell, the person who is dead can receive a message like
"After ringing the bell you feel a residence within the <color> aura which feels <distance-message>"
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Delphine wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 am
Rias wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 am Might also be neat to have a an automated update while moving every so often that indicates you've become closer to aura XYZ that has recently knelled.
This sounds like a good compromise to me! Though maybe there should be a way to flag yourself as looking for the corpse in order to receive this information? (As in just a way to tell the game that you're hunting, but this doesn't necessarily print to anyone else.) If I don't have time or the inclination to search, it might be a bit spammy if I'm wandering down the road and receiving this information just because I'm attuned to the death knell.
Having it toggle under the AURA command (if you have the sensitivity training) would be nice.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: "When sensing the auras of those who have recently rang the Deathknell, the aura who command will now also state roughly which direction the corpse is in."

Good thing I already had this function already set up for the ship travel stuff a while back! The directions can sometimes get a little wonky and say something like "east by northeast" when the corpse is one tile directly northeast, but it should work well enough. If one in that scenario were to go east instead of northeast and then AURA WHO again, it'd just say "north" at that point. I think it has something to do with the diagonals at extremely close distances. Math is hard.

Also, per the changelog: "Fixed a bug where sensing the auras of those who have recently rang the Deathknell with the aura who command would erroneously report the corpse as "extremely close" when the corpse was not in fact at the same world coordinates as the character searching for it." Oops. Sorry about that. Fixed now, so once you sense you're "extremely close" that means the corpse is somewhere exactly at your world coordinates, meaning it's either in that wilderness tile, or within a sub-area that is linked to that tile. From that point, if it's not right there in the wilderness tile, then it's time to just scour every room in the linked sub-area(s). The Deathknell can't do *all* the work.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Rias wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:09 pm P.P.S. The lore concept of Undying individuals acquiring a new body is still a thing in the lore, and just should be considered a significantly less frequent phenomenon (and generally is thought to take quite a long time in comparison to these new corpse/body reunions via priests of Undm).
Would this still occur in the situations mentioned in the FAQ?
Is death permanent?
Not in common or mundane situations, no. Certain situations, areas, and NPCs or entities may be exceptionally dangerous, however, with no chance of escape upon death - so maybe don't taunt that massive soul-eating demon, and think twice before storming a villain's fortress.
The fortress scenario seems to suggest it's the body that's not recoverable? I can understand the soul-eating aspect being a serious problem.
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

Would it be possible to put in a notification for the dead person when their body has been moved to a crypt?

As it stands right now, the resurrection process starts by looking at the bell. Unfortunately, this also issues the death knell, so I tend to wait awhile before trying it in order to prevent spam. If I knew whether I'd sending out a global message or starting my resurrection, I'd feel a lot better about trying it.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Janarc wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:48 pm Would it be possible to put in a notification for the dead person when their body has been moved to a crypt?

As it stands right now, the resurrection process starts by looking at the bell. Unfortunately, this also issues the death knell, so I tend to wait awhile before trying it in order to prevent spam. If I knew whether I'd sending out a global message or starting my resurrection, I'd feel a lot better about trying it.
Having only died once, my experience agrees. It's hard to know if you'll be getting your corpse back anytime soon. It depends on the area. If you died in an area rather far away from towns, at a time where there aren't one or two good strength warriors on hand who are willing to go help, you're kind of just screwed for a while, but you have no way to know. There's nothing, per say, wrong with this, but perhaps a notification both when your corpse is moved out of the area you died in, and once it has returned to the crypt would be helpful in not feeling like I'm spamming people.

P.S. Would it be bad form to get off your currently dead warrior and go farm on another character or something while you wait? I'm content to sit in the void a while and cool down, but I also heavily dislike sitting idle. Just curious.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Perhaps once a corpse is being dragged or has been loaded into a handcart, the deathknell no longer sounds when they look at the bell? I'm not sure a good solution to this, but it takes time to transport a body and I always feel bad while dragging a corpse along because I don't know if there are people still out there looking for them or not with the deathknell still going off. Or maybe just some sort of indication to others attuned to the deathknell that the body is being moved?
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Maina

Post by Maina »

The Other Game had special pulses that went over the deathknell channel. I think Rias maybe mentioned something about wanting to avoid that this time? But honestly it seems the simplest solution. Broadcast a sense of something being found. Broadcast a sense of something being returned home. Etc.

I think the concern may have been gaming it to communicate for other purposes? So make it only available within, say, 10 minutes of a deathknell being broadcast and echo to the dead person when that time has elapsed so they know people probably really need a reminder.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog:
- When a dead character rings the Deathknell, the messaging given to both the ringer and those who hear the Deathknell will now indicate whether the corpse is in motion (currently being dragged or within a cart/wagon), or at rest and presumably still waiting to be reached by rescue efforts.
- When a dead character's corpse is moved to a crypt, the priests of Undm will now immediately call out to the soul of the dead in hopes of getting a response to prompt the revival ceremony.

The ESP and Deathknell lore strongly make me want to avoid enabling people to broadcast over the Deathknell frequency, other than souls of the dead triggering the Deathknell itself, so hopefully these updates do a decent job of keeping both parties informed of death situations.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I think perhaps the time for the Deathknell to be active should be increased to ten or so minutes. Sometimes, if you're rather far away, it runs out before you can find and then you're just forced to pray they hit it again, and I know people don't want to keep hitting it for fear of spamming. I don't particularly think having to wait ten or more minutes to revive is a bad thing.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.