Non-warrior VS Warrior Feedback

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Janarc

Re: Non-warrior VS Warrior Feedback

Post by Janarc »

^^

All of these would be very cool and would tempt me into making a crafter. I especially love the idea of tasks that get progressively harder, with progressively cooler results (like eventually forging weapons for Stormholdt).

I also think the adventuring mechanic that Maina suggested would be very cool, but it does sound like a lot of work.

Is there anything we as players can do to help this along? Are there particular submissions you'd like?
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Had me at dueling banjos. If something like this gets implemented I will unironically sacrifice my points I recently freed up to try out combat so I can increase my Music skill goal instead.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

So, I'm currently working on a monster of a post which will be all of the ideas I've ever had on the Artisan Guild, compiled in a mildly coherent manner (I hope). Over my many years of RPing, I've mainly, well... mained... crafter types, so I've seen a lot of things across a lot of games and I have a lot of opinions on crafting systems.

I will just say right now, though, that one thing I've never really liked is when you have the ability to fail a craft and lose your materials if they were rare/hard-to-acquire materials in the first place. Imagine you're a blacksmith with 700 metalworking. You finally acquire some riversteel. You go to forge a blade. You get a crappy roll... tears, throwing your laptop across the room, and ragequiting ensue. You get the picture. I've had this happen to me before on other games. You just have a bad RNG day and you lose materials that were worth what your character could reasonably make in terms of money in a RL month.

I do like the idea of rolls affecting your quality, though, so long as there is the ability for a crafter to then try to improve the quality. In my monster post of ideas, I suggest that this improvement of quality work in increments (like you couldn't take a blade from average to exquisite all in one go) and would require more materials to do so, so I think that would be a fine way to go about it. You're a max-level blacksmith. But maybe you just have a bad roll and that blade you were expecting to be exquisite is only superior. So you take a shot of whiskey, pray to the Mountain Father, and shove that bad boy back in the forge with a little bit more material and hope for a better roll the next time you hammer it out.

Also that haggling mini-game sounds like great fun. I 1000% approve that idea.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.