Coming soon: ESP Zones

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
Delphine

Re: Coming soon: ESP Zones

Post by Delphine »

This is awesome! I can't wait to see it in action.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Update: The ESP command no longer shows the list of auras in your area. That is now viewed by typing AURA WHO, and it causes 3 seconds roundtime to prevent spamming.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Loving the new changes! The network feels oddly more telepathic after they got implemented, to me.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

The new aura changes are excellent, but I think ESP zones as a whole have been a net negative for the game in terms of overall engagement, at least for me. Everything feels much, much emptier. Going out to do tasks/deliveries/training feels like dipping into a singleplayer experience which some might enjoy, but I certainly don't personally. The chilling effect it has had on general interactions for me has made it very difficult to re-engage with a game that I historically had no problems getting seated with, in part due to ESP's historical accessibility.

Most of this seems like a me problem. Greater methods of communication (blood whisper, druidic commune, etc) are definitely much more compelling picks now than they were previously which is good, but I really kind of wish things went back to some variant of how they were regarding global comms. I have no good suggestions on how to do this while keeping the design intent of ESP zoning intact. Not especially helpful feedback, I know.
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

Arcanist Glyph which empowers an amulet for an amount of time which extends its range to additional, or, all regions based on the power of the circle?

I'll see myself out.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Rias wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 am The ESP network enhanced presence system (ESP-EPS?) has been implemented! The intent of this system is to help people ICly be aware of each others' presence on the ESP network for easier communications. All options default to off; this is all opt-in.
So, after seeing this in action for a while, I would like to suggest that these new features be OPT-OUT rather than opt-in. There have been many times that I've ridden into an esp zone, done aura who, seen there was no one, and then immediately rode into a room with a group of people who were mainly new players/new characters who might not have known about the presence system in the case of the former or might have forgotten to set it up for their new alt in the case of the latter.

I recognize that some people just want to be incognito and choose to not engage with the presence system intentionally. But other people might not even know it's an option. Has information on it been added to the newbie task which prompts them to go choose their aura color at the Twilight Eye office?
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

Delphine wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 am So, after seeing this in action for a while, I would like to suggest that these new features be OPT-OUT rather than opt-in. There have been many times that I've ridden into an esp zone, done aura who, seen there was no one, and then immediately rode into a room with a group of people who were mainly new players/new characters who might not have known about the presence system in the case of the former or might have forgotten to set it up for their new alt in the case of the latter.

I recognize that some people just want to be incognito and choose to not engage with the presence system intentionally. But other people might not even know it's an option. Has information on it been added to the newbie task which prompts them to go choose their aura color at the Twilight Eye office?
I would like to second this very good idea. It's felt a little lonely with the changes and I think having it default to showing your aura (although I like having the option to opt out) might remedy that a little bit.

As I'm typing this I wonder if having an insane Meditation skill should let you see hidden auras, but that is probably just my second martini talking.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Delphine wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 am
Rias wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 am The ESP network enhanced presence system (ESP-EPS?) has been implemented! The intent of this system is to help people ICly be aware of each others' presence on the ESP network for easier communications. All options default to off; this is all opt-in.
So, after seeing this in action for a while, I would like to suggest that these new features be OPT-OUT rather than opt-in.
I think I agree. The AURA WHO is often looking rather barren and I imagine a big part of the reason behind that is people just don't know the options exist to turn on. Any opinions out there that are vehemently against making them on by default instead of off? We can have a tutorial task informing people of them so everyone immediately knows they can opt out.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

As long as there's a tutorial task that directs new players to the aura command, I think making those options opt-out instead is perfectly fine.
Maina

Post by Maina »

As someone who generally values my MUD-privacy and tends to heavily restrict who can see when I'm online whenever possible...

Yeah, make it opt-out rather than opt-in. Seems a net gain. Easy enough for people like me to opt-out and adjust as-needed. We're already used to it. People are less used to having to opt-in to these features.