Partial Crafting and the Nullification of Explotations Therein

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Partial Crafting and the Nullification of Explotations Therein

Post by Gorth »

Hello. i felt like writing a dumb title today, so there's that for you. Anyway, I'm rather OCD about verbosity of strings and the fact that debarking a log makes it appear as 'a completely debarked leftover large aspen log' when I'd not actually carved it up at all except to remove that bark, kind of made me sad, because I wanted to just have a smooth log to be like 'Hey guys, look at my smooth log! Cool, right?'

Anyway, there are a few ways that a few of us numbers nerds have divined that this can be abused, for wood specifically but possibly others, for affectively unlimited of a few items. It's not like, an actual issue, but it's still an exploit, and I believe the following will fix it. However, I'm wary of item bloat becoming an issue. If Wood Sheds virtualized, though, this might not be one.

I'm unsure how the actual system numerically tracks things, but my asumption is it's based on weight, based on the rough testing I've done. Instead, I simply suggest a material take damage everytime you use it, of a sort. It wouldn't be displayed as 'scuffed' or whatever, but perhaps only when EXAMINEd, as '60 percent of the item remains uncrafted.' I.E. You take a small branch and carve a small peg from it, it looses, i don't know, five percent durability. Or each item has an HP amount. This would make things generally easier to visualize and calculate, as well, when trying to figure out how many of an item can be made from each size of branch, or similar.

Rather than a flat percentage, the item could have an initial HP. Cut a large branch's max HP in half when you chop it to mediums, and just make everything mathamatically work out that way, though that might not balanc,properly.

Thoughts? I'd also just like to strike the super long items names.

Also, can I just have debarked logs be called debarked logs, or smooth logs, instead of this freakishly long line?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Re: Partial Crafting and the Nullification of Explotations Therein

Post by Gorth »

To clarify my bloat comments about woodsheds, I suggest that, if this HP thing were to be added, everything could then be virtualized, because weight wouldn't need to be tracked, I think. Thus, track wood, item name thing, HP, whatever else it need know like branch size, and you'd be good! I have to imagine branches are at least a decent contribution to item bloat. It isn't dye, or MFing pine cones or MFing worms (you people are weird), but every bit helps!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.