Masonry suggestions

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Bean

Masonry suggestions

Post by Bean »

Hi!

Training up masonry on my main has given me plenty of time to think of additional recipes for the skill. I don't know what would be skill ranges for any of these, I just think they'd be cool. But, most importantly, I want to see what everyone else thinks. Maybe we can come up with new ideas together.

**Recipes**

Tray: A flat, portable surface for carrying around things like cups, bowls, plates, etc. Great for tea parties and fancy dinners.

Bowl: Just a bowl. Soup's on.

Statuette: Uses a large chunk, or maybe even a medium block to make. Basically a really big figurine which can be placed somewhere as decoration. Can possibly take up farm plots, in case anybody wants to decorate their farms with little statues. Could take from the current list of carvable creatures.

Stool: A small, uncomfortable place to sit. Could use large chunks or medium blocks to make.

Flower pot: If flowers ever become harvestable, I think it'd be really neat to have little pots to put them in. These could use a medium block to make.

Ball game hoop: A traditional huecatn game can now be enjoyed by all! With this hoop, people are able to score by tossing the ball into it. Could be a special item that balls can be mechanically tossed at. Seeing as this is a larger project, this might need multiple parts. Maybe a woodworker to make the fixture to keep it in the ground, a mason to make the hoop, and a builder could put it all together. Takes up farm plots.

Basin: Nothing special. Just a container I think would be neat to have.

Mason's dust: Grind up those small blocks into dust which could be used by certain people to irritate other people. Warning, keep away from eyes. Made for ages 5 and up.

Mortar: Used to create larger masonry projects, this stuff is applied to stone pieces to stick them together. It was traditionally made of limestone that has been heated in a kiln then mixed with sand.

Stone slab: Could be used to craft other pieces like table parts, trays, or murals.

Mural: A decorative slab of stone, usually hung on walls and baring some sort of artwork on it. The designs for these murals could be taken from the current list of carvable creatures. I don't actually know what these things are called in english. Mural might be close enough.

Table: made with 4 table legs, some mortar, and a tabletop, this is, well, a table. The tabletop could be made of a stone slab, whereas the table legs could be from medium blocks.

Marker: Comes in obelisk, pillar, and pyramid designs. Basically just statuettes but with their own list of designs. Calling something a pyramid figurine would be a bit strange.

Model: Another figurine/statuette offshoot. Could be representations of objects such as houses, castles, boats, ships, handcarts, caravans, etc.

Tablet: Can only be written on with a chisel. Can be placed somewhere like your farm to have it proclaim something like "Welcome to the coolest farm in all of Shadgard!"

**Expanding current choices**

Polishing: Similar to the process in which bladed items are made keen-edged, finished masonry products could be polished, making them worth more. A string might look like this. "A polished granite goblet". I think this would be something that more skilled, or even master masons could do, just to add that extra bit of polish (pun intended) to their crafts and make them stand out.

Figurines and totems: More designs for figurines and totems could be Man, woman, Human, Knight, cavalier, archer, soldier, sorcerer, druid, child, baby, charioteer, noble, farmer, merchant, king, queen, prince, princess, sailor, nomad, cook/chef, brigand, brachelyr, outrider, pale, blacksmith, priest, drummer, trumpeter, musician, dancer, bard, skeleton, shade, ghoul, kraken, each of the immortals, the classes available to players, and some racial ones such as the giganti runskjaere or nuumic Annu.

That's all I have to offer for now. I'll add more if more ideas come. I'm excited to see what people think as well. :)

PS
Can charms be made to hang off of woven bracelets/pendants? They can't do that right now.
Frisbee

Re: Masonry suggestions

Post by Frisbee »

I have an idea relevant to this, which I think could have practical uses.

Masonry could be the perfect skill to craft urns with, to put the ashes of permadead characters in. This, in conjunction with a pyre mechanic, could provide an alternative way to people to say their final goodbyes to dead loved ones, without having to either stuff them in the public crypts or subject them to nether influence in nearby graveyards. Also, those left behind could have something tangeable to hang onto, this way. I remember a pyre-centred funeral happening a few weeks ago, and the whole affair was really moving.

So, perhaps there could be urn lids we could craft, attach them to the main container, and then carve names/meaningful messages on them. Maybe potters could benefit from a similar recipe too, and have to carve the messages onto the wet clay before it dries/is heated up in the kilns.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Firesong

Re: Masonry suggestions

Post by Firesong »

I love these ideas. I think maybe giving masons the ability to create more containers would help them feel more useful in a new way. It would be neat to have stone jars, especially when we are able to make different medical things. This could be a neat way of organizing/sorting between types of receptacles. Stone jugs/pitchers may have their place as well. Tiny stone vials could be fun to hang from necklaces. I'm already imagine all of the weird things people would stick in there for various reasons. Thanks for organizing this thread, bean. I've often thought masons could use some love, and you worded this very nicely.