Automated locksmith/client lockbox passing

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
ThresherAle

Automated locksmith/client lockbox passing

Post by ThresherAle »

It's come up a couple times over the years. Having someone toss all their boxes on the ground so you can work on them in quick succession is nice, but it makes it so only one locksmith can be working in a room that way at a time. Things can also get mixed up pretty quick.

Someone made a suggestion a while back that I really liked: copy the way NPC customer locksmith tasks work, and just have the customer automatically hand a box to the smith, once the smith finishes with the box or they determine they can't open it they RETURN LOCKBOX and it automatically goes back to the customer and the system moves on to the next box from a container automatically.

This means as a locksmith I'll always have the box I want to target in my hand, and I can alway do DISARM MY LOCKBOX and PICK MY LOCKBOX and not get it confused with other boxes in the room, or have someone drop their own boxes in the middle of the pile I was already working on and get it all mixed up. Multiple smiths can be working for multiple customers in the same room instead of having to run downstairs or to another location.

So the customer could type something like LOCKSMITH HIRE GALDO LOCKBOX IN BACKPACK and that would start it off, giving Galdo a prompt to ACCEPT working on all the customer's lockboxes that are in their backpack.

Seems like something more than a simple quality of life change so I put it in its own suggestion thread, but I figure this would be a quality of life improvement for both customers and locksmiths. Am I overlooking any hangups with this idea? There could probably be a better syntax to start it, but I couldn't think of anything.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Navi

Re: Automated locksmith/client lockbox passing

Post by Navi »

This would sort of impact theft and planting with lockboxes. Though, personally, I wouldn't view it as a loss. Other players may though. It might be nice to make this a modular system, capable of supporting other services such as leatherworking, or other systems that would benefit. The syntax I can think of would be supply target with item type, where item type is lockbox, armor, or, whatever else. The target would receive a prompt saying, character wishes to supply you with lockboxes, do you accept, yes/no. Then the automated process for the service would commence, sifting through all applicable items in the character's inventory. HTH
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This is a neat idea. The only problem, however, is that what if we want to have multiple locksmiths split the work? Or the commonly done, have one or two locksmiths work on the bulk while one really good locksmith takes out those that can't be done? I mean, I guess you could just have the first locksmith RETURN them if he can't open them, but it still cuts down on productivity. Locksmithing is already kind of slow already, at least on larger amounts of boxes.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Navi

Post by Navi »

I don't think this system would prevent the current system from working as it is. It sounds like this would just be a secondary method. The locksmith could choose which one they wanted.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Navi wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:50 am I don't think this system would prevent the current system from working as it is. It sounds like this would just be a secondary method. The locksmith could choose which one they wanted.
I am cursed with a hyperfocus narrow view. :lol: you're right, and I like it!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Here's another idea along the same lines that would probably be easier. Let us disarm and pick lockboxes that are inside a container we're holding or wearing. Then we can do DISARM CLOSED LOCKBOX IN MY SATCHEL and PICK CLOSED LOCKBOX IN MY SATCHEL without all the juggling. When a customer comes in they can just hand over a bag full of boxes, or transfer them to the ground and then we transfer them into our lockbox backpack and work on them there. Keeps the boxes from staying on the ground where they'll get mixed up with other lockboxes and potentially get taken by others.

Or, let us disarm and pick lockboxes that are ON a container, like a table, and put a bunch of different tables and desks in the picking areas to accommodate multiple smiths and customers. We would need to be able to target them with commands like DISARM CLOSED LOCKBOX ON PINE TABLE or PICK CLOSED LOCKBOX ON AMBERWOOD DESK.

It would be nice if we could do both. Having a bunch of tables and desks in the picking areas would make it easier on the customers so they don't need to bring their own lockbox bag or hand over their backpack that contains personal belongings along with their lockboxes.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog:
- It is now possible to DISARM and PICK locks on items that are ON a container in the room, such as a table, desk, or counter. Syntax: disarm <target> on <container>
- It is now possible to LOOT ajar lockboxes that are ON a container in the room or IN a container held or worn by the looter. Be careful not to loot someone else's stuff from on another container in the same room!

Disarming and picking items ON a container like a table made the most sense, so that's now a thing. (Still can't pick or disarm items that are IN a container like a backpack or satchel.)

Both the Shadgard warehouse and the Mistral Lake houseboat are now equipped with a table, desk, counter, bench, and crate that serve as ON containers. This should allow up to 5 locksmiths to be working simultaneously while keeping their boxes separate from others. Looting might get a little dicey, though - I recommend that customers who prefer to wait until the end simply transfer their boxes from the room container to one of their own, and then do LOOT MY AJAR LOCKBOX. Those who want to loot as the boxes are opened, just be more specific, such as LOOT AJAR LOCKBOX FROM TABLE. Otherwise they might start looting ajar boxes from other containers that were for someone else. Any suggestions on how to make this part less mixup-prone are welcome!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Post by Teri »

For those utilizing the new surfaces, a note on some things. They hold around 15-19 lockboxes, you can't fit a huge chunk of them at a time. If disarming or locksmithing with no particular targeting, you will target things on the ground first. If looting, 'loot lockbox' will only target lockboxes on the ground, and if looting things on a surface 'loot ajar lockbox'. Something for those looting to keep in mind to transfer from the surface to the ground if you want to loot in the room, but not the ones on the tables etc.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time