New Variety of Weapons (Flavor Only?)

The place to discuss combat gear.
Janarc

New Variety of Weapons (Flavor Only?)

Post by Janarc »

Hi!

Rias mentioned in Discord that he'd prefer to see suggestions here on the Board, so I decided to dump a few ideas I've been holding onto. Since one-handed swords only have two craftable options right now (rapier, cutlasses and shortswords), I've put some thought into what other options might be reasonable.

Obviously, falchions seem like the low-hanging fruit since they already exist in-game. With their hack damage, and lack of armor-chink ability, they fill an interesting niche. And I really just like their look.

Another option would be sabers. Probably similar or identical stats to rapiers (or maybe slightly more durable, slightly less chinking?).

I seem to remember that CLOK had khopeshes as well, though I'm not sure if they're still thematic here.

Anyway - I just think it'd be neat to expand the craftable availability of weapons, though I imagine it's pretty low on the priority list.
Frisbee

Re: New Variety of Weapons (Flavor Only?)

Post by Frisbee »

Huge fan of the craftable falchion suggestion. Would definitely include one in my warrior's arsenal.

I am stealing this following idea from CLOK, but I did love it, and I do believe it might have its uses here. It was great fun, imagining my character's stealthy girlfriend pull out a pair of dagger-like hairpins. I'd imagine they should serve similar functions to stilettos? Maybe be a little less effective because they're also intended for something else?

I've seen broadswords mentioned left and right, and I think it'd be great if some of our characters were finally able to use them, someday.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Frisbee wrote:I've seen broadswords mentioned left and right, and I think it'd be great if some of our characters were finally able to use them, someday.
As much as I dislike additions because a majority of people inevitably end up using them for a while because 'cool new thin' and it means that you have to wait and hope that people stop doing that if you actually have something planned for them (plate armor) and want to seem cool, I would jump on Broadswords the instant the came out. Those and Bearded Axes (though I believe Rias has said we aren't likely to get more axes).

Sorry for that runon sentence! Wheeew!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Reslior

Post by Reslior »

Okay, I think about this a lot. I am a total historical weapon nerd and this is something I desperately want to see. So, here's how I'd break it down, mechanically speaking:

One Handed Swords:
Single-edged sword, heavy curved: hack and slash (60/40)
  • Falchion
    Cutlass
    Messer
Single-edged sword, light curved: slash only
  • Scimitar
    Sabre
    Tulwar
Single-edged sword, cut and thrust: slash and pierce (70/30)
  • Broadsword
    Backsword
Double-edged sword, cut and thrust: slash and pierce (50/50)
  • Schiavona
    Spada
    Arming Sword (or just "sword")
    Bastard Sword (one-handed, -10% DF, extra reach)
Single-edged sword, recurved: hack only
  • Kopis/Khopesh
    Yataghan
Sword, thrusting: pierce and slash (80/20)
  • Rapier
    Smallsword
Daggers:
Long knives: slash and pierce (50/50)(extra DF & reach)
  • Seax
    Gladius
    "Shortsword" (these are a vague fantasy item)
    Cinqueda
    Baselard
Short knives, single-edged: slash and pierce (70/30)
  • Bowie
    Kitchen/Eating knife
Short knives, double-edged: pierce and slash (60/40)
  • Dagger
    Dirk
    Main Gauche
Short knives, thrusting: pierce only (bonus against armor)
  • Stiletto
    Misericord
    Rondel
Two-Handed Swords
Long Sword, double-edged: slash and pierce (50/50)
  • Longsword
    Bastard sword (two-handed, -15% DF)
Long Sword, curved: slash only
  • Kriegmesser
Great Sword, double-edged: hack and pierce (50/50)(+20% DF, extra reach, exhausting)
  • Zweihander
    Spadone
    Montante
    Warsword
Great Sword, recurved: hack only (+20% DF, bonus against shields, exhausting)
  • Rhompaia
I'm not sure of balance on other DF, reach, etc suggestions, but I think it conveys the point.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

These are some great suggestions, thank you! I'll keep this post bookmarked for when I want to chase this particular butterfly and add some more weapon variety.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

This kind of got me thinking about various "skins" for weapons for a wider diversity of things. What if ... hear me out here ... there was more of a mix and match system in play for various outcomes?

I.e. Take a longsword blade, a basket-hilt (instead of a crossguard) and the remaining pieces and you assemble a schiavona. A stiletto blade, knife handle, and a dagger crossguard nets you a misericorde. A stiletto blade and a knife handle gets a rondel. A dagger blade and a knife handle gets you a dirk or sgian dubh. Or a shortsword blade and a knife handle nets you a messer. cutlass blade and a knucklebow gets you a hanger. Etc, etc, etc.

System-wise, they're all just skins for the same type of weapon. A stiletto is a misericorde is a rondel, after all, so having each individual piece craftable for all the massive quantities of weapons from antiquity would be ... astronomical to code in. Not saying this method would be any easier but ... it would certainly be more interesting, in my opinion.