Voicechat Notes: November 5th

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Teri

Voicechat Notes: November 5th

Post by Teri »

Shouts outs from Rias: Thanks for joining vc and being interested in the world. Thank you to players who helped with Octum things and big thank you for doing all that, Everyone be aware players did a lot of writing and descriptions.

Q: How are slaves, on the average, treated in Nuum? Are there places where slaves are treated markedly better or worse? Are slaves considered property above all, or a vital part of a household?
Q: Are slaves or servants kept anywhere else? Prisoners of war, indentured servants, et cetera?
Q: How do the Nuum feel about slavekeeping per race? Would they prefer slavestock of Nuum origin or other races? Or is it related to the task they would be performing? Do Nuum take slaves with the intention of putting them at one singular task (cooking) or for general family matters?
A: They can be both. There are some that are community resource and others own by individuals. IT is going to depend where you are and who is giving orders. He imagines there is some kind of standard of treatment but likely isn’t heavily enforced. Slaves in Nuum are just the nuum themselves, they are not enslaving other races. It is a role in nuumic society filled by nuum. They will try to find reasons if a vilia came in and broke laws they might try to find a way He is thinking about it but 99% it is the nuum themselves and part of the social scale and system. There are nuumic slavers. It if did happen it would be illegal. There are awful people doing awful things trying to get away with it. Lower than the lower class thing.
There are rumors they do these things and say things that are happening or not but it is not endorsed by the nuum. They are trying to make it sound like it legal and capturing people

Q: How does tree growing mechanics work? If a specific type of tree is completely harvested from a zone, will it come back naturally?
A: It growth is removed other growth will eventually takes it’s place but it doesn’t try to keep the ratio and technically all the trees could be chopped until nothing else is there. It is on the list. But if there is space and it rolls on the chance of those things to grow and it picks one and puts it in there. If you chop all of them down, but he will figure something out maybe, or maybe not.

Q: Can we shovel paths through the snow on the main streets of Shadgard? Does heavy snow increase travel time? Are weather based/seasonal-based tasks possible?
A: There is a shovel snow tasks and checks if snow, then makes it available. It is fluff but doesn't do anything. Having snow effect things like travel time it would be neat but it would be annoying as all heck. That might be something to do if something is let go for too long, maybe then have a reason to have people do it. Find a line where people who do it feel they are contributing, but not making it a hassle every hour. Maybe not have it come up often.

(trailblazing needs to be fixed)
large ring crafting item was for umbrellas but was never finished. Added to the list.

Q: Maina: What types of Nethrim are there? Like, broad strokes? Are daemon-nethrim still a thing? Blotlings? Any types that would be widely known but not implemented yet that you're excited for?
A: The daemon thing is probably not going to be a thing. There might be daemons that are nethrim and not all nethrim are daemons. In the other game the demons were very loose. He made it work with the lore but it wasn’t planned. He still has to nail down what the term encompass. There are a lot. There is an area that he wants to release at some point that a bunch of different types in there. There are plenty of areas with concentrations of nethrim. There will be more than the typical animated corpses and there will be more stuff in this area when it is ready.
Nether has a tendency to imitate a lot so you will things where it imitates other lifeforms. Some places were saturated with nether plants. It has a few crazy forms. Will add some npcs and some lore on the hows and whys.

Q: Are formal public executions a thing in the Lost Lands? I know of at least one case of IC mob justice, but would Shadgard ever officially hang someone? Or the Dominion? Or is the Dominion more of a beheading lot? Or do both sides prefer more of a, "Just get out," approach?
A: It is a thing that happens but not common. It’s a thing that happens but it isn’t a once in a lifetime. They do hangings in Shadgard for egregious things, and dominion is a beheading type.
For cases of undying it will vary. Lore wise there is the hope they won’t come back from this one. They might count on that, or keep them locked away and keep them out of play as long as possible.

Q: In the Winter Solstice helpfile, we are given traditions for a few different cultures. Are there any special Winter Solstice things celebrated in Nuum, Tol Rhun, or Khaldea?
A: Probably Khaldea. The other two maybe but doesn’t feel like they would focus on anything. Khaldea would do a thing similar to Aetgard did which was adopt customs because they are a more of a embracing other cultures type place than most others. Not their own, but embracing what others brought with them when they moved there. It will be nice to do stuff like that to encourage trade and in education.

Q: Do you have any etymological insight into the name "Faewyr" that you can share with us? On the Other Game, Wyr tended to mean "people", but does Fae (F-A-E) have the same In Game connotations as it does for the Real World? (IE - vaguely eldritch supernatural beings, like faeries/fairies) (edited)
A: Wyr still means people and Fae isn’t quite the same as real world lines but similar. Otherworldly and magical for lack of a better word. It is felt Faewyr were influenced by stuff like that in their early days when humanity or proto humanity was trying to make it’s place and not get destroyed by spirits. There is that association there and they feel they have that influence and connection over other races out there. They are kind of weird/wild people comparative compared to other cultures. They have druid connects that connects them to weird stuff. The fasa are druidic but they have a different flavour.

Q: Once a nether well has formed or a large amount of ambient nether has taken root in a place, are there any known ways to dispel that? Could a sorcerer theoretically siphon it off? (Of course, where would they be siphoning it to?!) Or is it just like... "Well. You done did the thing. And now there's a nether well. Live with it."
A: If it gets to the point where there is a nether well that can be used for rituals in the game at that point it isn’t something a sorcerer could walk by and mess that up. In Theory they could do something to contain or lessen, but once it is there it is there. There is probably ongoing study about could they be removed, but it is solidly there. Channeling sorcery in those areas can be a struggle even to control. The control they have there is put into question but can disrupt their attempts at control. There are greater and lesser ones. There may be some instances where lesser ones could mess with and have control, but the ones in game where they have the current effects it is beyond the hope of what is current known for controlling it.

Q: Follow-up to this: I don't recall seeing any netheriness ambience around the blood cultists' area despite the fact it's implied there's a lot of blood sacrifice going on down there. Was this an oversight? Or does this imply the cultists have ways to negate the side effects of, uh... mass killings. Sorry. I'm not sure how else to phrase that, but I hope you catch my meaning. (edited)
A: Yeah. The presumably they are doing it in a way. It isn’t just places that have a lot of death makes the nether wells, but it is more likely where there nether is associated with a lot of death. There are countless graveyards that are fine. Speculate away, but it is not an oversight.

Q: Okay, last one out of me, I think: I've been finding it odd that there's an infested camp like RIGHT BY Mistral Lake. I know, I know, it's a low-level hunting zone, but you would think that the Dominion would burn it down to keep the Resen from spreading through their central lands.
A: Yeah it is a little off. Mechanically it is there as a hunting ground, but theme wise the dominion isn’t able to handle literally everything. B It seems they don’t have quite the grip they would like to have on their main area. The question is could they handle it normally but can’t now because of stuff abroad. It is a mix of both, game reasons and to show they aren’t perfection. There are thigns they are unable to handle, not bothering because focus elsewhere. Also the fact it is hard to root out infested areas you can kill all the stuff and light it on fire. Like cockroaches you can’t get rid of them it is tough. In that particular instance it is considered mostly contained and underground and coming up to the surface but not spreading on the surface. It is like they have tried before and cave it in but they dug it out again. Infested be like. The information they have a thing for tunneling and digging is base info anyone would know.

Q: Unless it's being left there for a reason We've heard IC that there has been "extensive research" done on the effects of nether on the Resen. Is it safe to assume the infested of that particular camp are being contained as unwitting guinea pigs?
A: Could be.

Q: Are there plans for more nether wells? I'm only aware of one, though I've seen a few areas that seem spooky enough that I would have thought they'd have one. Might be nice to have one near Mistral for when newbie Warlocks start spawning there?
A: There are some spots set aside for a few more

Q: Gosh dangit, I lied. Last question for real. Follow-up to Maina's sorta: At what point does a netherific spooky spot go from merely spooky to nether well? Would a suitably powerful sorcerer (or rather a full "murder of crows" as I'm sure you'd have to be of Crowhaven proportions to manage this by yourself) have to do a ritual to take a mere spooky spot to full nether well or can nether wells occur uh... "naturally" in the wild?
A: So far is seems like are spots that are already spots that way and not something people can create. Their are rumors or tales of spots like that. Couldn’t figure out why spots like that are here. Prevailing theory is that that for reasons.
Raffaela might be tainted or might be a nether well. Are there lingering netherim there? It is a scary place and yes. Iviali is mostly nice and kept but then you got this pocket of area that is awful and tainted. He imagine there is a dedicated group to contain the area. It is a spooky place and it can be bad but not like places in the lost lands. They have it pretty well contained. Not eliminated but contained. Has a lot of scary stories, do your duty or be stationed there.

Q: Does the tower in the Dominion's symbol represent a specific place, or more just generally symbolic? The keep is a... keep, so I'm curious if there is an iconic mist-shrouded tower somewhere.
A: It is the keep itself and the tower there.

Q: Could you elaborate a little more on the relationship between Nuum and Undm? She is not listed in the list of respected Immortals in the main Nuum file, but her own file suggests people are taught to respect her to not upset her.
A: Might be considered more of a Charon situation where they are part of getting you to the afterlife but necessary a great cosmic thing. Still an immortal and still has a big role. They aren’t a prominent a place as other immortals. They still knowledge Undm. They don’t seem to be squashing that one out, they are on the whitelist

Q: On a related note, what is the Nuumic view of the afterlife? Are they trying to find ways around it so they are reliant on one less Immortal? I believe Nuum primarily practices Arcana, as I recall, but do they - openly or secretly with government approval - delve into sorcery at all, for this aim or otherwise?
A: Raincheck on that answer but he doesn’t know how much he wants to say. Might be better as a BBS post.

Q: What is the significance of puma that they seem to have some connection to death and/or the afterlife?
A: That might be a toss a lore study on that item. There is a lot of lore stuff he wants to put stuff on items.

Q: How long ago did the landslide that blocked off the northern part of the lost lands from the southern part occur? Was it more than thirty years ago? Is there any means of entry from the outside into the northern bit?
A: The landslides were there for game reasons between Mistral and Shadgard. That was there because the game area hadn’t been expanded. It should have been like it isn’t open yet. It shouldn’t be considered a part of the areas history. The game area hasn’t gone past this point yet. Probably wasn’t there long, maybe there are long as it has been there in the actual game. It wasn’t a major thing.

Q: There was a mention of Fasa tribes wandering in the region between the playable area and the Lapis border on the clok bbs. Is this still relevant to cogg?
A: He doesn’t recall that one in particular. There might be some traces of a race or culture in aetgard it is believable that any race or culture has a lingering presence that are wondering in the lost lands old aetgard area.

Q: Are there any methods of appeasing Rami that Bogvaskr wouldn't appreciate/pay mind to, and vice versa? I think this may have been spoken about previously, but exactly how different are the two from each other? And, just so I'm not missing anything, what sorts of offerings does Bogvaskr prefer? How about what he dislikes? Any more information that you're willing to share on this?
A: That might be a raincheck and bbs posting better suited for it.

Q:And, just so I'm not missing anything, what sorts of offerings does Bogvaskr prefer? How about what he dislikes? Any more information that you're willing to share on this?
A: That will depend on which aspect you go for. For the hunter- dedicating a hunt, dedicating pieces of the spoils.
The viali one is a little complicated. He will have to go through the immortal pages for the basics for worships/adherence 101 but on the other hand is it is fine to come up with stuff and it is obvious you are tying to tie it to their aspect or domain as long as it isn’t off the wall. He is associated with hunting and I leave this piece or burn this piece in honor or recognition. The intent and thought is the most important making it specific to that immortal. It isn’t the physical act but the intent and approach you are taking there, that is what is more important for these rituals and help lead to acknowledgment. Making the physical action is important in making an effort. Don’t worry too much about the nitty gritty but he is going to come up with some ideas. Those ideas are guidelines of not to be examples of being the only one true way, just an example.
Viali aspect could be similar instead of animals or beasts you are hunting evil creatures to be destroyed.

Q:How is performing as a profession viewed by the Rhuidim? What sorts of acts would they generally prefer? How dramatic is too dramatic for them?
A: That is a good question. He sees them as pretty serious and surly. He doesn’t know but he will have to think about that. They are an interesting bunch and he will have to think about that.

Q: Oh, I remembered one of my questions, although this is more about a potential bug than lore, maybe;
Is it intentional that abilities pierce guards' protection despite it saying that they intercept an attack?
If it is, is it intentional that Tactics: Marauder pierce guards' protection, including for the actual attack?

If Faye is guarded by Black, and a marauder (bandit ravager, canim scrapper) attacks Faye, it says Black intercepts it, but the pre-dirt kick hits Faye, and I believe that makes the actual attack also hit Faye.
A: That doesn’t sound right. Tackles and other abilities if a guard should be able to get in the way if it makes sense an attacker should be able to get between it should work. Taking a look at code.

Q: I am expecting a non-answer for this question, trying to be vague here since it's rather IC information and I hope you will understand what I'm talking about, but there is a rather suspicious PC who is doing certain very odd things. Without GM intervention, is it possible for other players to also do these very odd things at this time?
A: No. It is a thing for that character. It isn’t a thing just anyone can do. See if that thing can be a thing.

Q: Question - How long has the Twilight eye been around. (Make sure to ask this with some base in your voice. THEY KNOW!)
A: Nobody really knows. Rias knows things. He knows how long

Q: What are some guidelines for emoting with sorcery? Could I, for instance, emote raises their spiked knuckles to prepare to fight. Inky-black sheets coat the surface of the bones as they call sorcery forth.
A: As long it is something you can do in the game and you are writing it a different way it is fine. Will it be something moderated. If something comes up very egregious they might get a hold of someone.

Q: And is feint not suppose to surprise enemies when you use it from stealth with certain weapons that are both melee and ranged.
A: Needs some poking at to figure out how to choose.

Q: Will we ever have nether procs for weapons other than knuckles or fists?"
A: Maybe it would be based on specific ability and is trying to think of reasonable and cool. He is pondering a couple ways to approach it. It might be something with warlocks. Could possible a temp buff they could give to others. Another resource would maybe be soul shreds for something.

Q: The emberlight, blackwater, valeria area is an esp dead zone currently - might there someday be a new ESP area that covers some/all of those locations?
A: Could be. Zones are in a minimal stage right now and will see some growth in additional zones.

Q: will the firearms shop in Shadgard have the steam loaded pistols? Will people be able to make them sometime? Will firearms get worn out over time, just like how swords get scuffed?
A: He isn’t sure if pnuematic will be a constant supply or a once in a while thing. Not with the pnuematic, but maybe the flintlocks in the future. They will get some wear and tear.
Some things aren’t going to be intended to be craft able. He isn’t dead set but it is something he thinks about. Want a balance between craft able and not just because of things being better in shops. Might be better with artisan guild for them being able to upgrade qualities of items. Have a cool item and crafter feel awesome doing the work.

Q: Does Crowhaven have a favored immortal? Presumably he had one before becoming immortal himself, and possibly afterward?
A: Have to find his journal to find out.

Q: How does rain and snow interact with shadow familiars and other incorporeal nethrim? Presently the code treats them as any other character, which made me wonder if show really does just gather atop them and melt away later.
A: Snow shouldn’t be on top of them if they are incorporeal but it is funny.

Q: Is multithrow and other multiple attacks supposed to increase risk multiple times? I'm getting +20 risk per turn (+10 for my attacks) from enemies multithrowing at me T_T
A: No, that shouldn’t be happening.

Q: Stiletto and sharpness wear and tear
They don’t need the maintained because they don’t have the keen edge,

Does the material effect the sharpness of stilettos?
A: Yes.

Q: What do we know about the lost lands outside the current map area? Do we know about the towns including the dominion and stuff between us and lapis
A: There is not a lot beyond villages and enclaves beyond the ones mentioned in the question and a couple republic spots on some islands.

Q: For backstory would it be better to for backstory use places for we have the names or hypothetical villages.
A: Don’t use Lapis as they keep to themselves because people don’t know about them. Don’t insinuate anything about sizable settlements if background wise, very primitive settlements. The main is, it is fine, but they are remote, not involved in trade. If they were big enough they would be known, or taken over by threats. Less than 100 in a hamlet. Life is going to tough for those people, scratching out a life. The lost lands is an unpleasant place to live. The nicer places are the Dominion, Shadgard or Republic.
Wants to maintain the aesthetic the lost lands is an awful place. If you come up with names for these small places, it isn’t going to conflict with lore because they are small insignificant places

Q: arcanisticmas deatails
A: One favourite thing: More shapes for enables more glyphs which enables more stuff. Better and more convenient ways to use their abilities to not have to draw the entire diagram. A few steps from but it is very exciting to work on. It will still involve diagrams and will be able to prepare stuff ahead of time. One of the things will be allow them to participate arcanic-like stuff in combat

Q: Is there any lore reason two arcanists can’t finish each other circles.
A: Probably
Last edited by Teri on Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Re: Voicechat Saturday November 5th 2pm MST

Post by Gorth »

Q: How are slaves, on the average, treated in Nuum? Are there places where slaves are treated markedly better or worse? Are slaves considered property above all, or a vital part of a household?
]
Q: Are slaves or servants kept anywhere else? Prisoners of war, indentured servants, et cetera?

Q: How do the Nuum feel about slavekeeping per race? Would they prefer slavestock of Nuum origin or other races? Or is it related to the task they would be performing? Do Nuum take slaves with the intention of putting them at one singular task (cooking) or for general family matters?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
rocode

Re: Voicechat Saturday November 5th 2pm MST

Post by rocode »

How does tree-growing mechanics work? If a specific type of tree is completely harvested from a zone, will it come back naturally?

Can we shovel paths through the snow on the main streets of Shadgard? Does heavy snow increase travel time? Are weather based/seasonal-based tasks possible?
Teri

Re: Voicechat Notes: November 5th

Post by Teri »

notes edited into first post
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time