Octum is upon us!

General discussion of in-game events.
Rias
DEV

Octum is upon us!

Post by Rias »

We're into Octum now, and for those who haven't caught on already, here are a few notes regarding what that means:

- It is possible to charm-seek for Octum charms, trinkets, and treats! This can be done once per day (resets at midnight MST). Wear an Octum costume, hold an open container in your hand, and use the CHARMSEEK command in rooms on the streets of towns to participate. Some are edible, some have mechanical uses, some are simply aesthetic, and some may be STUDY-able for some lore! (This is essentially our in-world equivalent of trick-or-treating.)
- Regarding the above, costumes can be purchased at the Grim Grisly Guises tent which has been set up at the site being prepared for the upcoming festival. There are board posts in Mistral Lake an Shadgard mentioning this and guiding people toward Barrow Hill where the tent is set up (not to be confused with Bald Hill - do not go to the latter looking for a good time).
- The roads are now occupied by spooky spirits at night, called up by the Octum Wraith. Be careful! Most won't attack immediately, so just keep on moving. If you linger, they may become agitated enough to lash out! (A few of them may be more aggressive and attack immediately, but it's still easy enough to just move past them.)
- The Octum Festival will open on the 13th at Barrow Hill with various shops and a few little simple games/contests. More will be added as the month goes on.
- General Octum lore can be found by typing HELP OCTUM in-game or checking this article.
- If you're on the road and hear the sound of frantic galloping hoofbeats accompanied by mad, malevolent laughter, you are advised to run!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Re: Octum is upon us!

Post by Navi »

- If you're on the road and hear the sound of frantic galloping hoofbeats accompanied by mad, malevolent laughter, you are advised to run!

Please, for the love of all that is terrifying, do not be joking about this. The idea is too amazing. I can't wait.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The Octum Festival is open! Signs have been placed at intersections outside Shadgard pointing the way to the festival. (Not Mistral Lake side though, now that I think about it. We'll figure that out.) It's located at Barrow Hill in the woods of the northern Bluestem Plains area outside Shadgard. There's a sign on the northeast side of the bridge near Tarueka.

We have some new shops this year (including tattoos!) which we hope you'll all enjoy, as well as some of the old shops from last year, some with a couple new items. There are also some items up for auction! Special thanks to everyone who lent their creative aid with descriptions and concepts and everything else!

As it tends to be, it was a panicked flurry of preparations to get things set up (particularly after being tied up so much with Mistral just recently), so please do use the BUG command to report any errors or problems you run into! We know some of the issues that come up can be a bit silly when they're seen or discovered, but please refrain from commenting on these types of things in-character, as tempting as it may be to make a humorous comment about it.

More will be added as the month goes on, and additions will be announced here.

Whew. This has been both exciting and stressful to work on. As always, feedback and bug reports are appreciated! We hope everyone finds something they're excited to buy, and has a good time at the festival. If we missed anything, let us know here!

P.S. All shops should accept banknotes. If any of them don't, please BUG it in-game!
P.P.S. Bobbing for apples has been added near the Pumpkin Toss game, and Pumpkin Toss now shows daily/monthly records when you LOOK at the pumpkin!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Just quickly popping in to say thank you for all the amazing work you all have done in such short a time. Loved everything, old and new, especially the very elaborately-described masks, auction items and the new game! I keep winning it! Hurray!

I only had one thing to note/suggest: Lighting conditions are generally poor at night, and this doesn't help in places where people have to read lists/signs. I'd personally appreciate torches/lanterns to be placed about, similarly to the previous festival. You could make it very creepy and thematic, if you think about it.

Anyway, thank you again, and Happy Octum!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Good call. Appropriately spooky-ish light sources have been added!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO