Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Built on a lake, shrouded in unnatural fog, and under the law and protection of the mysterious Mistveil Keep. Was once the seat of the now-dissolved Mistveil Dominion.
Maina

Re: Mistral Lake initial (and rather bare) release!

Post by Maina »

I mentioned some things in #game, but I'll reiterate here:

It's amazing to see Mistral back in all its glory. Plenty of nostalgia, but plenty of amazing new things, too.

The eyeglasses shop alone was enough to have me considering shelving a character so I could make a new one that wears them!

Most of my other concerns and questions (Twilight Eye being the biggest) have already been addressed (barring some I'll probably have to ask Rias in an email), so that's amazing, too.

I'm only left with one!

As someone who walked through the checkpoint with a pocket full of blood vials and weapons, what are they searching for? Is there any contraband that would be confiscated? Or are they just taking notes so they know who to keep an eye on?

Well, okay, two:

What led to the decision to switch the mine from iron to copper? It kind of made sense before that the faction that used sorcery the most would want a monopoly on its greatest weakness. Is this part of ensuring steel remains very rare, by also making iron harder to get?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Maina wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm As someone who walked through the checkpoint with a pocket full of blood vials and weapons, what are they searching for? Is there any contraband that would be confiscated? Or are they just taking notes so they know who to keep an eye on?
That's for them to know!
What led to the decision to switch the mine from iron to copper? It kind of made sense before that the faction that used sorcery the most would want a monopoly on its greatest weakness. Is this part of ensuring steel remains very rare, by also making iron harder to get?
Mistral was given a copper mine in the interest of keeping the factions balanced resource-wise, and the Two Falls Mine relevant to both factions. Steel will likely become considerably less rare once we have a more reliable (and contestable) spot to get it from and a Fantasy Material with its own special properties to take the place as the new shiny rare expensive metal.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

How long will Mistral be open to visitors? Is there going to come a time when it's not open to people from Shadgard, period?
Theoretically, what would happen if you created a Mistral char to see if you liked it there, but within a week (or some other short amount of time) you decided it wasn't your thing? Would you simply be stuck for the whole 30 days?
When will people be able to create Mistral chars?
On a silly note, we need pretty lamps in Shadgard too, :P
I'm sorry if any of this has already been answered.
Kalista

Post by Kalista »

starting to actually live in mistral has lead me to notice a few things. I'm not sure how the pump is supposed to work, but there is no other source of water in the town right now until that gets fixed somehow, and last I checked there were no trees/clay put in yet, which I know is being worked on. Other than that, I really like it in mistral.
Firesong

Post by Firesong »

Wow. Thank you to all of you who worked on this. It's amazing and a really great blast from the past. The new additions are super wonderful, and I'm sure the folks moving up there are going to have tons of fun.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

If it might add one more item to the Mistral Lake wishlist? A closeable door on a future meeting space perhaps added to the citizen services hall. It would be nice to have a place where people could congregate and deter eavesdroppers without making it impossible for others to pop in or otherwise party crash. I know piling into an inn room or going to someone's farm is an option for more private meetings, but I prefer RPing where others can stumble across it.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
HeckTurtle

Post by HeckTurtle »

Apologies if I missed some information about this somewhere--and I could also just be dumb and have walked past this 500 times before putting this up here. But there doesn't seem to be a training spot for the cooking skill in Mistral Lake (at least in locations that feel obvious to check, i.e. the bakery and other food places), or a place to do cooking tasks like what Shadgard has with the Hearth and Home's kitchen. Is this something that has been overlooked or is possibly planned to be added soon?

Additionally, I didn't notice a place to purchase horses at. But I think this one might make more sense as something that's just a little delayed, since I imagine Mistral Lake's horses wouldn't look exactly the same as Shadgard's?

That's all I've noticed Mistral Lake seems to be lacking for now. Otherwise looking pretty good and spooky.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

It has come to my attention that there are no non-alcoholic drinks in Mistral Lake (assuming shandygaff is alcoholic... it sounds sus and I haven't tried it yet.)

Here are my suggestions:

The Shattered Pumpkin
Pumpkin juice
Served chilled, this thick and creamy drink possesses a mild, pleasant taste of pumpkin mingled with warm autumnal spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

The Bakery
Milk (cookies and milk?!)
Foggy morning tea
Lightly sweetened, this milk-swirled herbal tea tastes of lavender with a hint of honey lingering after each sip.
Black tea
Sullied by neither milk nor sugar, this slightly bitter tea tastes strongly of bergamot.

The Gaff
Mint-infused water (I am boring and this was all I could come up with)
Refreshingly crisp, this water has been flavored with crushed mint leaves.
Murky Mire (non-alcoholic mocktail)(Kaiju is less boring and gave me this drink name to play off of)
Sweet with notes of apple and pear, this cloudy juice greets the tongue with a hint of warm spices in the way of cinnamon and nutmeg. A splash of tart emberberry juice cuts through the sweetness, balancing each sip.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Looks like Mistral Lake also needs a metal repair spot. They're leather/cloth so far.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Karjus wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm Looks like Mistral Lake also needs a metal repair spot. They're leather/cloth so far.
It was briefly added to the workyard, until we realized that was preventing manual repairs. I just added a little corner of the workyard to the west of the main area where paid NPC metal repairs can be had.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO