Random Musing on Fishing

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Guillaumo

Random Musing on Fishing

Post by Guillaumo »

Ability to remove/detach items from a fishing rod.
This would in service to if there becomes a system for the creation of Flies/Lures. Since Line has durability, it would behoove the angler to provocatively change lines from time to time, since a snapped line would lose their bait. If we're using fancy lures as bait, we couldn't want to risk losing them by exhausting our line.

Fishing in the larger crafting ecosystem:
Fishing Line:
Horsehair (bushcraft, foragable from stables?)
Linen (base)
Silk (Increased durability, created by weavers?)

Hooks
Bone (bushcraft)
Copper (base)
Metal cast (Increase to offense roll based on metal)

Eyes/reels/woods:
Allow for different components to provide bonuses to the finished product

Bait:
Earthworms (base)
Spinner lures (metal case, bonuses based on metal)
flies (crafted from feathers, fur, horsehair, bonuses over earthworms, bushcraft or angling to make)

Coastal Fishing:
Heavy/Large rods which would target large fish only
Small Fish (4 inches and under) to be used as bait for Heavy/Large rods
Heavy/Large rods can only be used in Coastal or Deep Sea Environments.

Fishing Expeditions: As brought up on Discord, allow for a charter to be hired out of New Emberlight which would allow for timed access to the Deep Sea environment.

In addition to simply having larger fish, I am thinking there could also be fish/creatures which could be butchered for a resource which other crafters would need. Similar to how historically Sperm Whales were butchered for their sperm oil. I don't know enough out the crafting system to suggest what the resource(s) could be, but it's a thought.
Guillaumo

Re: Random Musing on Fishing

Post by Guillaumo »

A thought on Angling vs Spearfishing:

For no real reason in particular, I have setup thresholds on the size of the fish I am keeping. Anything below this threshold, I am RELEASING back into the water.

I was thinking, it might be neat if releasing a fish back into a river or the sea could trigger a blessing from Naia or Nereia respectively.

What this is, I don't really know enough about the game to really off up any good suggestions, other than saying maybe +exp fill, or a +Moral bonus (not that I know Moral has any effect on fishing?) or maybe some other interesting things. A whisper in your ear that teaches you a word in some merfolk language, idk.

I just think it could be interesting to add some reason to not murder every fish.
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

I'm not sure if such a thing is possible. But this is my initial thought.

[An image titled: Shadgard Fly. The image is of a dressed fishing fishing hook, horsehairs dangling down to obscure the point of the hook, with a raven's feather protruding from the top. Both are bound along the shank of the hook by a thin thread.]

This process would be part of the Fishing Skill to allow for angler to create advanced bait.

Process could be to hold a hook and a thread in your hand and ATTACH. This would create a Thread-Bound Hook, which could be used as a hook in the fishing process.

Next would be to hold Horsehair or some other kind of hair, and ATTACH. This would create an unfinished basic fly. In this state it cannot be used as either a Hook or Bait.

Next would be to hold a Raven Feather or some other kind of bird feather, and ATTACH. This would create a basic fly. In this state it can be ATTACHED to the fishing rod as a Hook. This would allow the Angler to FISH without needing to ATTACH bait to the Fishing Rod, as the Fly would serve as the bait.

Ideally, flies would eventually do something to affect the Angler's offense roll.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Guillaumo on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Fishing... with Guillaumo. Fishing... with Guillaumo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2E64tVgaFA

All cool ideas. I would personally love to see the speed of fishing slowed down quite a bit, with the experience rate and maybe the value of the catches boosted to compensate. And the prices of bait and tackle and stuff raised, too, I guess.

I think fishing ought to more of a slow and relaxed (and relaxing) activity, until you get a bite, at least, and for me it's a little too frenetic the way it is, now. I've only got 150 some fishing skill, but fish practically jump into my bags on command.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Even having only taken fishing to 100 I've considered writing a script to do it automatically so that I have time to actually EMOTE with people. It's doable, but I echo the sentiments of fishing being really fast. Additionally, of course, there's the obligatory, we could use higher pay for fish in general, and more fish COOKING RECIPES; I said the C word and Rias will now drown me next time I log in
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Any ideas on what a slower-paced fishing experience would be like? Is it that fish are being hooked too quickly after casting, or is it the reeling-in part that's the issue? (Or both?)

Angling hasn't been looked at in a very long time, so I'm happy to give it both some reconsideration and some polish. One thing I've always wanted to do is have different types of bait for different types of fish. As I've stated in the past though, I've been fishing exactly once in my life, so I know virtually nothing about it. Any suggestions and guidance are very much appreciated! As always, I reserve the right to take occasional liberties in the name of Game/Fake World, but I do try to make activities in COGG feel at least somewhat real and believable.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

My suggestions would be to have different kinds of baits for fresh and salt water. Live bait in my experience is more effective in fresh water, along with lures. My favorite one to use is a little rattling metal ball with a long shiny tag with a four pronged hook. Generally it is enough to catch fish, though bait doesn't hurt either.
In the ocean, the type of bait you use often determines the size of fish you'll catch, but not always. I've caught shark with a little shrimp before, and everything in between. But generally, larger fish will go after larger bait.
In both instances, where you are placing your line greatly impacts the results of your cast. In rivers, you want to place it in slower moving parts where fish are likely feeding, bends, and fallen logs are usually really good places, anywhere there are large clusters of reeds or tree roots are also very promising. In the ocean, if you can find reefs or generally anywhere there are clusters of structures like coral or rocks, kelp forests, dropoffs, etc will give you the best chances of snagging a fish. In my experience, finding these places is the most difficult part compared to actually reeling in the line. Once you set your hook, which is the most important part of catching a fish once it has bitten, reeling it in is some what stressful, but with reliable gear, it is not what I would consider the true challenge of fishing. I hope this helps.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Navi

Post by Navi »

Oh, and as far as the time it takes to catch a fish, I've been on trips before where I've consistently hooked a fish seconds after my bait hit the water, and other times when it took close to half an hour for something to bite. It's a lot of luck, and as I indicated before, knowledge of the environment, favorite feeding spots, time of day when most fish are feeding, etc. From my last experience with the fishing skill on COGG, starting out with a rod took ages, and around 100 skill is when I was catching fish reliably enough to out pace my bucket drain. I think it's in a pretty decent spot right now as far as frequency of catches, but someone who does it more frequently might have a differing opinion.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

Rias wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 am Any ideas on what a slower-paced fishing experience would be like? Is it that fish are being hooked too quickly after casting, or is it the reeling-in part that's the issue? (Or both?)

Angling hasn't been looked at in a very long time, so I'm happy to give it both some reconsideration and some polish. One thing I've always wanted to do is have different types of bait for different types of fish. As I've stated in the past though, I've been fishing exactly once in my life, so I know virtually nothing about it. Any suggestions and guidance are very much appreciated! As always, I reserve the right to take occasional liberties in the name of Game/Fake World, but I do try to make activities in COGG feel at least somewhat real and believable.
Right now, I feel like I can set a hook within 1-2 minutes of casting, then land the fish in about 20 seconds. This nets me ~2 minutes and 30 seconds of exp. So, if I want to earn EXP, I need to be pulling my rod ... angling, non-stop. This creates a lot of scroll when I am in a room by myself. Add in someone else angling, or spearfishing, and it can get a little difficult.

I would have no problem slowing down the time the bait was in the water, fairly significantly, as long as the exp when caught scaled up as well. This *could* allow Angling to be more of a social opportunity. If you want fast paced fishing, stab at fish with sticks :D
Navi wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:23 am My suggestions would be to have different kinds of baits for fresh and salt water. Live bait in my experience is more effective in fresh water, along with lures. My favorite one to use is a little rattling metal ball with a long shiny tag with a four pronged hook. Generally it is enough to catch fish, though bait doesn't hurt either.
In the ocean, the type of bait you use often determines the size of fish you'll catch, but not always. I've caught shark with a little shrimp before, and everything in between. But generally, larger fish will go after larger bait.

In both instances, where you are placing your line greatly impacts the results of your cast. In rivers, you want to place it in slower moving parts where fish are likely feeding, bends, and fallen logs are usually really good places, anywhere there are large clusters of reeds or tree roots are also very promising. In the ocean, if you can find reefs or generally anywhere there are clusters of structures like coral or rocks, kelp forests, dropoffs, etc will give you the best chances of snagging a fish. In my experience, finding these places is the most difficult part compared to actually reeling in the line. Once you set your hook, which is the most important part of catching a fish once it has bitten, reeling it in is some what stressful, but with reliable gear, it is not what I would consider the true challenge of fishing. I hope this helps.
I like so much of this, but I also think it would start to fall into the realm of asking for a Bass Master Expansion if we want so much details to the individual water locations.

If its possible to have different fish hit on different baits in different environments at different times of day, that alone would add some interesting experimentation without the need to add in an entire environmental hazard system.

Some additional thoughts on bait:
Earthworms are nice. 2 riln each.
Crab Meat would make an excellent Salt Water bait. Not shop buyable, but reasonably obtainable, and could create a commodity market on it if it served a purpose?
Salmon Roe. Catch a Salmon, Butcher it. Fish Fillets spoil quickly, so field butchering may not be advisable. A (small?) chance to generate Salmon Roe which can be used as fresh water bait if it served a purpose?

Also, something I observed. My bucket can't seem to hold Water and Fish at the same time, as the water fills the bucket up. It would be neat if a bucket (or some other fishing vessel) could hold water and fishes, that way small fishes could be used as deep water fishing (as outlined in my first post) since you would want the bait fish to be alive.
Guillaumo

Post by Guillaumo »

I'm back with more nonsense!

The thought here at a high level is this: Small Game Snares. But for fish!

Similar requirements, maybe 100 Bushcraft and 100 Fishing. Maybe a smaller limit which can exist in the world at any given time, maybe no more than 3.

Recipe:
Rope x 1
Brass Rings x 1 (assuming they represent more than 1 ring)
Fishing Line x 3
Fishing Hook x 3

Behold, the Mistveil Trotline!
[An image titled: The Mistveil Trotline. The image is of a heavy rope drawn horizontal. Attached to the rope, serving as a pivot joint, is a small ring made of brass or similar metal. Attached to the ring by a length of fishing line is a fully suspended fishing hook.]

Trotlines for those who are not familiar are fishing traps which are deployed from a shoreline via a rope, and this rope would have a number of fishing lines and hooks deployed from it. These traps can be deployed to RIVER or LAKE water environments to catch fish over time, with similar predatory threats from allowing them to remain deployed for too long.

I will make a different post at some point about crab pots once I draw a picture :)