Bushcrafting Suggestions

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Agelity

Re: Bushcrafting Suggestions

Post by Agelity »

With the creation of throwing axes/hammers and the update to multi-throw, it's become apparent that neither throwing axes nor throwing hammers are capable of being made via bushcrafting, despite the bonuses afforded by the multi-throw update affecting perhaps the most bushcrafty of specializations (yay druids). Any chance these may be available for crafting via bushcrafting in some manner? They might not be as effective as the metallic counterparts, but for a druid that's probably just as well.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

With the creation of throwing axes/hammers and the update to multi-throw, it's become apparent that neither throwing axes nor throwing hammers are capable of being made via bushcrafting, despite the bonuses afforded by the multi-throw update affecting perhaps the most bushcrafty of specializations (yay druids). Any chance these may be available for crafting via bushcrafting in some manner? They might not be as effective as the metallic counterparts, but for a druid that's probably just as well.
I would like this as well. I was going to mention it to Rias, but I totally forgot!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

sheep horn knife handles
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Staz

Post by Staz »

Please allow me to momentarily rant about all the cool Bushcrafting options we would have with Coconut Palm trees. In sanskrit they were referred to as the tree of a thousand uses. These are all existing real-world uses that would be very cool to have, and I think it makes sense for the majority of them to fall under Bushcrafting.

-Coconut palm fronds could be woven to make baskets or stripped for their midribs to make brooms or arrow staves.
-Burning coconut fronds could give a chance to drop lime, which can be used as flux for Metalworkers.
-The fibrous coir on the outside of the coconut could be stripped for fibers, made into a coconut sponge for scrubbing, or a potting medium for Farmers to use.
-The shell could be carved into a bowl, buttons, or coconut halves, which performers could use while Storytelling to make hoofbeat sounds a la Monty Python.
-Hollowed and dried coconuts could be attached to a rod or stake of some kind to make a feeder to attract various birds and squirrels, possibly an alternative type of Small Animal Snare that is more effective in certain areas.
-The meat and water inside could be consumed as-is or processed into coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flour, or shredded coconut for use in cooking recipes.
-Production of coconut milk and coconut oil gives coconut meal as a byproduct, which can be used for livestock feed.
-Coconut oil could be processed with coconut milk to create coconut cream or coconut butter for further cooking ingredients. Curry or coconut cake anyone?
-Coconut oil is highly flammable and could be used for a different type of Bushcrafted torch. It could also be used as an ingredient in soaps.
-Coconut palm saplings could be foraged for hearts of palm, which would would be heavy and initially inedible. After stripping, you'd have a raw heart of palm that allows many bites but gives low nutrition per bite. It could give improved nutrition after cooking, or one heart of palm could perhaps be sliced to make multiple seared heart of palm dishes.
-Coconuts themselves could serve as an improvised hurled weapon.
-Coconut timber is good for building furniture and buildings, but not flexible enough to make good bows.

I figure to balance out all of this utility, there are a few ways to make them challenging to harvest.

-Require high Climbing skill to harvest directly from the tree.
-Require a certain Bushcrafting skill level to be able to identify ripe/ready coconuts.
-Require a certain Bushcrafting skill level to successfully harvest coconuts or hearts of palm without being cut by palm fronds.
-Require a certain Bushcrafting skill level to turn the coir into fibers.
-Require a certain Bushcrafting skill level to strip hearts of palm.
-Have harvesting the heart of palm from a coconut sapling kill the tree and create a coconut palm stump that impedes future foraging without additional work to pull it.
-Allow foraging fallen coconuts at a far lower chance of success. Slightly higher chance to find an empty shell that can still be crafted, but it has no coir, meat, or water.
-Provide very few coconuts upon felling the tree, as most of them are smashed on impact.
-Impose a risk of being hit by a falling coconut while foraging on the ground, causing injury or armor damage, mitigated by either high Bushcrafting or Dodge. If climbing the tree, being hit with a falling coconut could have an additional risk of making you fall and take further damage, depending on your Climbing skill.
-Require high Bushcrafting for the more valuable crafting options of the coconut.
-Require multiple coconuts for the creation of more refined ingredients/crafts.
Staz

Post by Staz »

Also, bone carvings would be awesome. Right now it doesn't seem like bones have much use. It would be very neat if you could carve simple/fragile tools or objects out of bone. I'm thinking even less durable than flint, very crude items. You could add a polishing process for more aesthetic uses. I think this would have a lot of rp value for your more animalistic characters.

Small bone dagger
Polished bone button
Polished bone bead (+ weaving = polished bone necklace, polished bone bracelet)
Bone arrowhead
Polished bone earrings
Polished bone pipe
Bone die
Bone flute
Polished bone figurine (using the woodworking figurine designs)
Bone tiles (throw once a day and read for your fortune, chance for morale boost or penalty depending on results)
Navi

Post by Navi »

Pretty simple request, a recipe for wicker pouches, which cannot be closed, that can be attached to a wicker belt. Holds the same amount a regular pouch can hold.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Navi

Post by Navi »

I know there are fire boards and spindles in game already. Still, I would love the ability to strike flint and steel together to make fires. I have always imagine this is what firestones are suppose to represent, but you cannot bushcraft them yourself, not that you can bushcraft steel either. A nice perk for those wilderness survivalists who have invested in steel weaponry or tools. Here's a nice explanation of it all. https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/b ... and-steel/
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if we could get a Fishing Spear recipe added to Bushcraft! I found this neat website page, but this seems like it would be a moderately complicated bushcraft recipe (around 400 or so), requiring a couple different tools and ingredients.

I'd have the requirements for the materials/tools be something like
Crafted from: branch large straight
Tools required:
- something to carve with
- something to pound with
Additional components:
- 2 cordage
- 2 small pegs
Steps: 60

Let these take less durability damage from spearfishing and give a reroll to spearfishing, but also have a MUCH lower Damage Factor so they make poor weapons.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Two suggestions! Firstly, it'd be cool to see either Soap Bush or some similar fantasy variant out in the wilds. There's a lot of uses out of this plant (which is probably not super easy to replicate in Cogg), so while I'd love to see all of them (especially a way to make glue, so that recipes like arrows become more manageable), the primary idea behind this suggestion being used as soap in the bush/wilderness. I imagine it'd also make a good ingredient for proper soap for scent purposes, whenever we get that crafting skill going! Probably 1 "soap" usage per foraged leaf/plant/etc. Related to this, it'd also be great if we could find pumice stones, or perhaps some kind of coarse Fantasy Moss or similar to use as a scrub brush- something that takes durability damage every time you use it.

Rilulth wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:44 pm
I would like this as well. I was going to mention it to Rias, but I totally forgot!
I'd also love to see throwing-sticks be something that bushcrafters and woodworkers can carve (probably out of Large Branches, but maybe split logs?). Useable as a club with a DF similar to cudgels, but locked behind a higher skill level (probably 300-400), and treated mechanically as throwing-hammers for the purpose of multi-throw.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Lexx416 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:55 am it'd also be great if we could find pumice stones, or perhaps some kind of coarse Fantasy Moss or similar to use as a scrub brush- something that takes durability damage every time you use it.
I'd also like to see this. Perhaps a forageable equivalent to the Luffa/Loofah, which can be used to make fibrous cleaning sponges. A sea sponge that could be beach-combed would be a nice alternative, too.