LOTS of Rambling on Death

Share your feedback about COGG.
Ephemeralis

Re: LOTS of Rambling on Death

Post by Ephemeralis »

Bonus points if you add in a Sorcery thing that lets people commune with the dead/recently deceased, so you can have harrowing moments contacting the recently not-Undying dead best friend of yours by begging a Warlock to risk the consumption of their mortal soul for a few moments of final goodbyes.

Or an Arcana glyph that materalizes a recently-deceased person as a spirit haze that can only emote and not actually speak. Imagine the games of whodunnit where a haze desperately tries to charade out evidence of its killer before the glyph fades and they're gone for good.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Notes from VC.

Q: Current ideas on death mechanics
A: Figuring it out and brainstorming
Will bring over some Clok things where you die and you stay dead for a while a system to notify and trigger for others to say they died, and corpse is dragged back to a spot they can be revived. That would be the ideal way, stuff the soul back in the corpse. With some sorcery or spooky shenanigans.
Sorcery or death, given some won't want to be touched involved with sorcerers. There may be npc options for revives but still thinking about how. Rias thinks it will be interesting because people are rightfully wary of the sorcerous method, and thaumaturgy if it becomes an option, it is a weird spot in lost lands because they are limited, being killed off or in hiding. If they become more overt, what happens for people who don't like thaumaturgy. All on the potential thoughts, but Sorcery will be the main method for it.

Fall back if can't recover corpses but essentially how we have now, greater penalties no one can rescue/don't want to wait and chosen respawned. Lingering effect that knocks down skills, energy cap.
Q: Will there be a mobile method to revive? Or go to specific place.
A: Still thinking about it and how.
For permadeath characters the npc will say something like the spirit isn't lingering, it isn't going to happen.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Will bring over some Clok things where you die and you stay dead for a while a system to notify and trigger for others to say they died, and corpse is dragged back to a spot they can be revived. That would be the ideal way, stuff the soul back in the corpse. With some sorcery or spooky shenanigans.
Q: Based on this, will we no longer be changing bodies and affectively reverting to previous physical forms, upon death? Does this mean people are going to walk around with a lot more impossible scars, like a scar that shows you were litterally cut in half? Or does this mean that you'll be regenerating a new body still?
I ask because of the aforementioned situation. Would wounds be healed to liveable results before you were revived?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

I'm not sure how - there's no massively regenerating healing like that available, is there? Even skilled physickers are essentially just surgeons with fast-healing ant goop.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Any thoughts on a travel fatigue effect? After one dies, one cannot travel more than a few leagues in the wilderness, within a radius of wherever they resurrected. So they can move around a small amount in the wilderness to forage or hunt or such, just can't go very far. It wouldn't last too terribly long, but could help enforce some down time after death and prevent going immediately back into the deadly situation that got them killed once already and avoid those desperation suicidal corpse retrieval runs that end up with piles of identical corpses. It would also prevent cheapening of situations where they died and should be removed from the immediate event/situation for a bit instead of just showing back up 30 seconds after being forcefully removed via death.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Post by Maina »

I like this, at first blush.

I do have a slight concern that this means people who respawn in New Emberlight (while a temporary situation for those of us who currently do, I imagine there may be future situations that are similar) are pretty much doomed to just idle and not play the game until it wears off, which isn't very fun. There won't be any players there for RP and no way to contact players for help if the death was solo. Sometimes people solo by necessity, after all, due to time zones or other issues, which means they wouldn't be able to get help even if they spawn in a main faction city!

So I'm not sure that it should be a universal penalty.

Maybe it could scale with the number of people who have died in the same area recently? So a single death can move freely, but if there was a group wipe, there's more of a timer?

This ensures there should be other people in the same situation as you to roleplay with if you aren't able to leave and doesn't unduly punish people with weird time zones or IC circumstances who may not have any way to get the situation resolved. All while still ensuring massive death piles don't suffer from the issue you mentioned on Discord where there's just an endless train of corpse-retrieval-related deaths.
Janarc

Post by Janarc »

I wouldn't be opposed to this! After last night, I'm realizing that my play style might need some sort of restraint, if I'm not playing the game the way it's intended to be played.
Staz

Post by Staz »

Rias wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:12 pm Any thoughts on a travel fatigue effect? ... It would also prevent cheapening of situations where they died and should be removed from the immediate event/situation for a bit instead of just showing back up 30 seconds after being forcefully removed via death.
After Gerry's most recent death, he revived with a severe bleeding wound on his arm. I think it was a bug? But it meant I had to rush him to the infirmary just to stay alive, then get the money for the doctor, without having a pendant yet.

It was stressful but in a good way! Maybe instead of a set disadvantage that makes the player feel benched, there could be a few random effects like that? A sudden wound, or the sheriff making you give a statement to rule out criminal cause of death, with you picking from a list of premade responses.

Maybe characters who are paranoid will make the gate guards suspicious, and then they'll have to either go find a way to calm down, try to disguise themselves, bribe the guard, etc etc.

I think it would be very fun if dying meant you suddenly had one or more urgent problems to solve in order to stay alive and maintain your freedom. If there is a barrier or flat movement debuff I think it might be frustrating.

Maybe your character has to make several attempts to do basic things like walk, talk, purchase goods, lead/ride mounts, etc due to the after effects of dying. Instead of not being able to travel past a set point, trying to travel too soon after death results in you tripping and knocking yourself prone. Maybe your pants fall down. Maybe a kindly stranger gives you an ember candy and suggests you sit down until it's dissolved completely.

Overexerting after death could result in disorientation (scrambled direction inputs), dropping things, "losing" stuff (I.e. not seeing food in a container or numbers being wrong in the count command).

Maybe after ressurecting, the foolhardy adventurer who tries to travel could meet with the literal displeasure of the gods who saved them: a personal rain cloud drenches you with rain, your mount keeps moving back towards town when you ride it, your armor is unbearably itchy and uncomfortable so your character keeps taking it off, brambles seem to reach out along your path and cause minor wounds if you press on.

Basically, I experienced panic after dying in spite of knowing my character will come back, and it was fun! Dying should be scary for everyone. It would be very cool to have to go through a short-term chaos gauntlet every time you die.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Make characters blind after revival?

Random debuffs, lingering injuries, etc?

Debuffs depending on manner of death?
Wut?
Alicron

Post by Alicron »

My vote would be to keep it as is but add a flag for, events only, with the extra penalty.