Moving Away From Instant Mail Delivery

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Lexx416

Moving Away From Instant Mail Delivery

Post by Lexx416 »

This is a thought that's been rolling around in my head for a while! It's pretty buck wild that mail is delivered instantaneously in the Lost Lands - this is probably less of a believability issue for PCs currently, since PCs are essentially dropping off mail to be picked up in town.

So, I'd like to suggest that when Player Housing is released, a luxury (riln sink) that players can sign up for is to have letters (and maybe packages, for an added cost?) delivered straight to their domicile. The largest difference being rather than be instantaneous, every bell post would be delivered throughout town (which then means we get the added potential benefit of fun little room echoes of NPCs delivering mail). I think it should be okay to post letters from a home delivery box, but packages (and company mail) should always require a trip to the post office.

With this, I'd also suggest that we get a much more substantial deal to mail delivered to the opposing faction - I'm still in favor of mail getting to occur between the two, but I'd have mail delivery between the two towns take place twice a day.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Firerose

Re: Moving Away From Instant Mail Delivery

Post by Firerose »

I like this. It makes a kind of sense, even though, right now, people, in Shadgard, are leaving mail for people, in Shadgard, who all only have inn rooms. For housing, it would make sense. It's your home--why not have some kind of mail system?
I don't know how secure the mailboxes would be. Would they be mail slots? Would it just be assumed, and not described in the game world? Would they be mailboxes that you could look at, perhaps have described in some way when you get your home? (Not an object, just something you could look at on the home, perhaps.)

There should definitely be a delay between faction mail deliveries. I like your twice-a-day suggest. Very reasonable for such a distance. :)
Navi

Re: Moving Away From Instant Mail Delivery

Post by Navi »

Some kind of one time fee to set up a receiving box for homes would be nice. I don't think packages should be delivered; I already get anxious when UPS leaves boxes outside my door without knocking, but a letter saying they have a package to pick up at the post office could work. As for cross faction mail, seems more a shady service that could be provided either by PCs or an automated service. I'm a fan of the former.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again