Physickers and therapies

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
debaquila96

Physickers and therapies

Post by debaquila96 »

Greetings everyone,
Well I never post here, as my primary language isn’t English, although… here I am. I wish to propose something for physickers who don’t have intuition as their primary attribute.
So, as you know, the duration of the reflection therapy given by a physicker who has strength as their primary attribute, as well as one who has any other attribute except intuition, is 21100 (5 hours 51 minutes 40 seconds), while the one given by someone who has intuition as their primary attribute is something like 6 hours and 30 minutes or so.
So, this is what I think.

Knowledge isn’t given only by school in real life, it is also given by the practice that each one has while working.
If you think about it, in real life… would you like to go to an unexperienced medic, who obtained the graduation one, two years ago or would you go to someone who is famous, who has experience, and so on?
Well, the same thing is for reflection. It isn’t that good to penalize someone who doesn’t have intuition as their first attribute as he wouldn’t have known about it, as newcomers become physickers, and they don’t know about the bbs, and all supports, and help files, and so on.
In my opinion, as there will be changes regarding quality, there should be also something like this for physickers.
Same thing could be for motivation and sanity therapy which are based on your words, so if you use the right words, which are given from experience, your morale and sanity can go even over two, two and half, or for sanity 55, 60… and so on.
Let’s make so that the knowledge can be obtained also outside the library.

Tell me what do you think about this, I’m looking for opinions. Perhaps in something I’ll be wrong.
Thank you.
Deborah A.
Eldiana

Re: Physickers and therapies

Post by Eldiana »

I'm a bit conflicted about this idea because I feel like it could be a fun addition to say something like soothing if it works like storytelling and it works only on npcs.

On the other hand though, I would say the effect difference shouldn't be seen as like a penalty but more that people with intuition having a deserved advantage like those with constitution have in taking wounds. As for the gap between the two, affinities(when they are implemented) should be able to close it somewhat if you are a dedicated enough therapist. So I'd disagree with having a mechanic like this for things like reflection cause it'd only increase the upper limit(which is already pretty high).
Navi

Re: Physickers and therapies

Post by Navi »

Some observations to consider. If someone selects intuition as their stat as a physicker, they are not selecting any other stat, so they're not getting increased strength, aiming bonuses, increased energy or health, they're not getting rerolls on their awareness. The bonuses they get are seen in their reflection therapy and whatever else intuition impacts.

The argument put forth comes down to this, my character possesses another stat that I chose at character creation. I would have selected another stat if I had known it would be so beneficial for my character's profession. Therefore I believe that the bonus of the intuition stat should be obtained through another method.

While I sympathize with the argument, I do not agree. Rather than allowing these bonuses to be obtained via another method, something to adjust your stat would also solve this particular incident. Whether it be a well-written and respectful E-mail to the support staff at cogg@contrarium.net or an entirely newly coded system that allows for stat swapping, I don't see the solution as granting bonuses to characters from other stats for doing their job. If any bonus should be obtained via affinities, then they should probably be unique to the skill in question, rather than mimicking other stats or abilities.

That being said, I'd like to leave a quote from one of my favorite authors.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love[1][2]
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again