I See Your Scabbartd and Raise you a Sword

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

I See Your Scabbartd and Raise you a Sword

Post by Gorth »

I brought it up on Discord that I liked to show off and I wished more weapon sheathes showed off your weapons. People seemed vaguely agreeable to it, so I suggest the following.

- It seems logical to me that you should be able to see someone's weapon in a Pole Harness.
- Two possibilities for scabbards and knife sheathes occur to me:
  • A leather scabard holding a steel hilted greatsword. | A leather dagger sheath carrying a juniper handled knife.
  • We could also add a half-sheath item that would display the blade in it.
A lot of this comes from it being hard to tell if someone has a Greatsword or a Shortsword at there belt, and not knowing if it's some crazy beautiful thing or half-broken copper.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Taliaferro

Re: I See Your Scabbartd and Raise you a Sword

Post by Taliaferro »

Yes, please! I desperately want this. One doesn't wear a scabbard. One wears a sword. I'd like to see:
  • A bronze-hilted steel rapier in a leather scabbard.
  • A steel cutlass in a leather baldric.
  • A steel flintlock pistol with a walnut stock in a leather holster.
That kind of thing.

Gorth's player's suggestion would suffice, too!
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Taliaferro wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:03 am Yes, please! I desperately want this. One doesn't wear a scabbard. One wears a sword. I'd like to see:
  • A bronze-hilted steel rapier in a leather scabbard.
  • A steel cutlass in a leather baldric.
  • A steel flintlock pistol with a walnut stock in a leather holster.
That kind of thing.
The only issue I see is that of course, if it's a full bodied scabbard/sheathe, you wouldn't actually be able to see the blade, hence my example only containing hilts.
Gorth's player's suggestion would suffice, too!
Sorry..which suggestion? Maybe I'm being silly and not being able to read my own post, but I'm not connecting what you're referring to.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Taliaferro

Post by Taliaferro »

Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that you wouldn't realistically be able to see what the blade was made of, with a sheathed sword or what have you. I just don't think it's that much of a big deal, and that it would probably be easier to implement that way.

As for your suggestion, I just meant the syntax you suggested. "A leather scabbard holding a steel-hilted greatsword," and such.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

I don't have much to contribute here besides tossing my hat in and saying I very much want this!
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Very much agreed.

I might also add , between looking and seeing a person wearing a scabbard attached to their belt, and getting no visual indication at all whether there is a weapon in it at all (the status quo), versus looking at the person and seeing them wearing a scabbard containing a bronze-hilted iron rapier (the proposed quick fix); the former is arguably less realistic than the latter, if realism is the said argument for the status quo.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney