Various Farming Ideas (Bonus: Cooking Mechanic Suggestions)

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Re: Various Farming Ideas (Bonus: Cooking Mechanic Suggestions)

Post by Gorth »

One thing in the game that's more of an unfortunate fact than a real issue, is that everybody and there mother has a farm. And a lot of them use it for wool or Rimeveil or whatever, but also a lot use it as a personal storage space or meeting area. While a lot of these suggestions add complexity and make it an overall less rewarding system (I think, because everything requires a lot more thought, planning and time) I think that would probably help greatly to lessen the issue above.

That aside, these are really cool suggestions, and it makes me glad I don't do farming anymore. /shiver
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Staz

Post by Staz »

Gorth wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 am While a lot of these suggestions add complexity and make it an overall less rewarding system (I think, because everything requires a lot more thought, planning and time)
It honestly didn't occur to me that people wouldn't find the planning fun. That's the whole reason I farm in other games, all the organizing and planning.

I don't think it should necessarily take boatloads of extra time with some of these features incorporated. The goal was to add more tasks that can be done to raise Farming skill, because IME that's the longest part of it. There are more buildings that might take up space, but the challenge there is meant to be more along the lines of "do I really want to own a winery, or would I rather make a lot of jams?"

Ideally the additional processes would provide increased profit and practice, meaning it would take overall less time per riln the more advanced you become.

Taming pets would be a fairly long process, but then they assist you and basically don't ever disappear so it seems like a fair trade-off. Moreover, my hope is that having a literal mascot to interact with every day would help beginning farmers with not forgetting to do things like weed and water every day.

I suppose just thinking about these things would take more time, but there isn't much stopping people from continuing to use their farm as storage and low-effort play if they don't mind not reaching the kind of profit they could by engaging with more mechanics.

I think most of this comes from me already loving the farming and ranching system and wanting to spend even more time on it anyway, since it's fun to me. If someone finds it annoying to have to plan and boring to have to do farm chores etc, then yeah this stuff isn't going to help them at all. I'm just a recovering Stardew addict lol.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Staz, you're a genius. I love these so, so much. Someone who finally gets my fascination with, and love for, all the farming/ranching potential...plus all the other possibilities!

I'd love to see flower gardens somewhere... though how to prevent bloat I'm not sure. There'd need to be a limit if flowers were pickable at all, and they would die maybe in two or three days. But if potted or planted on a farm as you suggested, that's completely different.

I love the orchard idea so, so much!
This entire thing just makes me super happy. :)
I don't know how likely it'll be, whether or what in all this will be considered, but just reading the possibilities is exciting.
Staz

Post by Staz »

firerose wrote:I'd love to see flower gardens somewhere...
I would love these too, especially as crops you can grow and sell, or craft into bouquets, wreaths, dried flowers, potpourri, perfumes, etc etc.

I think because of how crops work though, they wouldn't be on display that way, so it would be for the best to have ornamental ones that grow in pots or on a trellis and then crop ones that you only see with look soil.

Thanks so much for the kind words, I was really worried I was going to annoy everyone with walls of text about stuff they didn't care about.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

I love the ideas in this thread. Apologies if this isn't where my question goes, but would it be possible for us to get ducks in shadgard? I know they are available in ML, but I have also read that the town isn't going to be as filled with opportunity as Shadgard. Farming and animal husbandry are the two skills I enjoy most on Cogg, so i'd love to see even more things we can do to care for the animals, and more products we could make. Thank you for reading.