Suggestion: Bulk Crafting

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Maina

Suggestion: Bulk Crafting

Post by Maina »

Ideally, I would love for something like the following:

craft thing qty X

and have it automatically multiply the steps and resource costs by X and create a single 'partially crafted' item that is X times the size/weight of the regular one. When completed, it splits out into X things.

I kind of suspect that may be a lot of effort to code, though, so as a stopgap, perhaps some bulk recipes that do functionally the same thing?

I think the most useful for this would be for arrows, sling bullets, and thrown weapon components. All things that you typically need many of rather than just one.

A way to reduce the tediousness of crafting enough of a thing to be useful without removing the cost. Of course, you would still have to manually attach each part for arrows and thrown weapons, but it would be immensely helpful and a massive QoL improvement.

Edit: To be clear, the initial suggestion of 'craft thing qty X' would be intended to work with all crafts. So 'carve branch make small totem design cat qty 5' or 'trace cap qty 5;cut cloth;sew cap qty 5'.
Staz

Re: Suggestion: Bulk Crafting

Post by Staz »

I hard second this. If I want to make 500 buttons for an order, it would be far less tedious to just put in "woodwork branch make button qty 500" and have a wait time of two hours than to sit there and type it every 15 seconds. I know how to make triggers, but the rules regarding them mean I would still have to be staring at the screen the whole time.

Alternatively it would be great just to have a "repeat" command. So you could type repeat woodwork branch make button, and then your character just makes buttons until you type "repeat stop."

It would also be incredible useful to be able to queue crafts like queuing travel. Like type "queue start" on one line and have the following lines be "cut feather" "woodwork branch make arrow stave" "knap shard make arrowhead" and finally "queue end." Then you just wait for the work to be done. I'd understand how this could be abused, but if it's limited to a handful of commands at a time.

I totally get why the rules are what they are for triggers, but there already are some tasks that go on for minutes and there's no requirement to be at the keyboard for those. So if it had a time limit or command limit, I think it would be similar.