Remembering the scope of Immortals in worship

Discussion of religion and the Immortals.
Rias
DEV

Remembering the scope of Immortals in worship

Post by Rias »

Immortals are getting a lot more attention these days (which I am very glad for!) and I wanted to give a point of advice to aspiring adherents: Remember the scope of the Immortal(s) you're seeking relationships with. Nereia could be thanked for a bountiful fishing catch, or a ship being spared significant damage in a storm, but she likely wasn't involved in, say, keeping an adherent safe in battle with the blood cultists of Bald Hill. The latter isn't really within Nereia's scope of influence. Bathal could be given credit for a great victory in a combat effort but probably shouldn't be thanked for a recent bout of good luck at gambling because Bathal doesn't have any particular interest in or influence over gambling and financial luck for his adherents.

The Immortals do care for their adherents (in one way or another, varying from Immortal to Immortal), but remember their scope of interest and realm of influence. Acknowledging an Immortal's influence over one's life is a key part of worship, but avoid falling into the mindset of simply thanking one's patron Immortal for every good outcome in an adherent's life. Recognizing an Immortal's proper identity and scope is an important part of worship being effective, so on the flip side, giving them thanks for things they have no influence or interest with could actually be detrimental rather than beneficial as the Immortal's identity becomes confused and less distinct.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Remembering the scope of Immortals in worship

Post by Rias »

Follow-up: I don't want people to over worry about being exactly within acceptable parameters either, though. Apply logical connections beyond what's specifically written in documentation and lore. Apply personal belief and interpretation. Just remember to keep it somehow connected to that Immortal's identity and realm of influence, and try not to stretch the logic *too* thin for less obvious connections.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO