Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
Onasaki

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by Onasaki »

Dennis wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:45 am Can sinew become a bundleable item? I don't want my slowly growing pile of sinew (which I crated in the commons) for bowstring crafting to become an issue for item bloat. Thanks!
I second this. I have so much sinew, but can't really do anything with it since the fibers, and the sinew itself don't bundle.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Rias wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:06 pm Hidden items will also no longer be janitorproof soon, so go retrieve those hidden stashes. Instanced containers in public service areas (smithies, pottery tables, etc.) will also be looked at and considered, as they were never meant to be long-term safe storage. Long-term safe storage should only ever be in vaults and inn rooms.
These will be happening very soon. Hidden items likely within the week. The hidden and instance container items have just been piling up more and more over time, and it's just not sustainable. (See: recent crash). As stated in the original post, I don't like having to do this, but it's a necessary evil for the time being to get the server performance under control.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Serity

Post by Serity »

Rias wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:43 pmThese will be happening very soon. Hidden items likely within the week. The hidden and instance container items have just been piling up more and more over time, and it's just not sustainable. (See: recent crash). As stated in the original post, I don't like having to do this, but it's a necessary evil for the time being to get the server performance under control.
Any chance the Hanged Man will be open for rent before this goes through?
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

How is database bloat influenced by items that keep track of durability? Are items which lack durability less resource-intensive?
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

The reason I'm asking is because I wonder if it might decrease the burden on the database to do away with durability for ranged ammunition and instead give ammo an extremely small chance of breaking each time it's fired -- maybe a 1-in-1000 chance of breaking. The chance is low enough that people probably won't bother making lots of extra ammunition (which would defeat the purpose of reducing database stress), but notable enough that crafters will still find themselves in demand to create more.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: Food items put into animal shelters or feed troughs are now 'virtualized' and no longer exist as actual items in the game. They are not currently retrievable or moveable in any way after this happens, but may be again (with some restrictions) in a future update.

For the time being, I'd recommend all animal husbanders get the "animal feed troughs" item constructed on their farms and just putting all feed items in there, since all animals can eat from the troughs. No worries of accidentally putting food in the wrong shelter with animals that won't eat that food type.
Marcuson wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:47 pm How is database bloat influenced by items that keep track of durability? Are items which lack durability less resource-intensive?
Duability tracking makes items un-bundle-able, so yes. I've been thinking a lot over what to do about ammo, as a decent percentage of items are ammo items. One thought has been to just have a single "some <ammo type X>" item that never depletes, and just kind of hand-waving the whole ammo management/recovery stuff as unnecessary tedium. That item's durability could go down as a whole so it'd still need repairs or replacing every now and then. There could be exceptions for special ammo types that are deliberately limited-use and would function as ammo currently does - that is, having to recover (or lose) each individual shot after firing.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: Entering or leaving a room with instanced containers that contain items owned by the mover will now display a warning message informing the mover that their belongings should be gathered and stored somewhere safe, or risk the unattended items being eventually lost.

TL;DR: Instanced containers are no longer janitorproof/permanent storage!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Because we're getting a lot of bug reports about it: Virtualized food items show the total number of bites, not individual items. So, if a single chicken feed item has 5 bites and you put 2 chicken feed into an empty coop, that coop will show 10 chicken feed, because it's 10 bites' worth. It's not bothering to keep track of individual items, just how many total bites of that food type there is.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

I've been thinking of this as of late and have seen issues of items having two versions of themselves, two groups of fibers that can't be woven into the same cord even when I have enough on me. Since we've been discussing item bundling prier to this, Is it possible to make bark/fiber/cords bundleable? I wonder if it can help solve unusable two piles of fibers if bundling is a thing, +keeps 300 items from clogging up the server all at once.
Wish

Post by Wish »

I actually was planning an IC scavenger hunt using hidden items. So I was wondering- how long would it be between hidden items being janitored, to help for planning (or seeing if I need to rework the plan entirely).