On Public Places and Roughhousing

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
Rias
DEV

On Public Places and Roughhousing

Post by Rias »

When it comes to plublic places, please remember that this is an RPE (roleplay-enforced) MUD and that these public places have NPCs in them, customers, patrons, clients, staff, owners, etc.

Roughhousing, even if technically harmless and not causing actual wounds, is unlikely to be welcome in most public spaces. When we as GMs notice this kind of thing going on we tend to have an NPC ask the offenders to stop. This is usually met with some level of incredulity from the offenders, as if being asked to stop roughhousing in a public venue or business is something the offenders did not expect, and do not think they should be made to comply with.

We all understand that this is a game, but please remember that it is a roleplaying one, and one in which NPCs should be considered people too, and they and their feelings and properties and rules should be respected just like anyone else's, rather than being treated as lesser lifeforms that don't really exist.

A good rule of thumb is for players to consider whether they would do something in a similar real-world situation, and what the consequences might be if they did so. What might the expected outcome be if some people went into a bar, or a hotel lobby, or a medical clinic, and began engaging in physically aggressive behavior like tackling or feinting or throwing dirt at each other? Even if they were just doing it for fun, would that likely be considered acceptable behavior by the present staff, owners, and patrons of the venue/place of business?

I'm making this post because this seems to be becoming an increasingly popular thing to do. I figured it would be a good idea to give fair warning that hooliganism charges are likely to become more common. Please keep sparring and roughhousing to appropriate places, such as outdoors and outside town walls, and away from public spaces. The barracks sparring area and dedicated Guild training areas are about the only public places I can think of where such activity would be considered appropriate. Shadgard may be considered a rough-and-tumble mining town, but even there the Sheriff prefers to not allow street brawls to become commonplace, and likely doesn't want to have to deal with determining whether it was just for fun or not each time it happens.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Re: On Public Places and Roughhousing

Post by Navi »

I am guilty of this. I apologize, and appreciate the reminder. I will consider these things for the future. Thank you for all the work you do as a team.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I'm also guilty of this, and I appreciate the reminder. Sorry about that.

I would imagine that since the Dominion is fond of order, they would be even more strict about hooliganism.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

I would imagine that since the Dominion is fond of order, they would be even more strict about hooliganism.
I may or may not be trying to convince Rias to let me make a canim pit to throw people in.

But yes, the Dominion is not about to allow such shenanigans in their taverns and shops and will likely be stricter that Shadgard in a lot of things (clue is in the name!)
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This likely includes Flip Flanking. Please stop doing this in public areas. It's funny until it turns on my battle instincts, LOL.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

Would emote things like friendly shove or aggressive hair ruffling be allowed though?

I guess it will just depend on a case by case basis.
(Insert appropriate smiley)
Navi

Post by Navi »

Vaelin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:42 am Would emote things like friendly shove or aggressive hair ruffling be allowed though?

I guess it will just depend on a case by case basis.
To quote Rias' original post. "would that likely be considered acceptable behavior by the present staff, owners, and patrons of the venue/place of business?"
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again