Advice for a New Character

Socialize with the COGG player community
Navi

Advice for a New Character

Post by Navi »

Hi hi,
Roleplaying in Rias’ worlds is something I’ve enjoyed doing for the past nine or so years. I don’t have the greatest writing skills, but always give my best effort. Recently I’ve been playing a new character, and have attempted to share them with as many other characters as possible. Hopefully they’ve left some kind of impression with you all. Some might know them as Bo, wrench, or some other random name. I would love feedback on my RP, or just in general writing and RP tips. I see some players writing up emotes like it’s cake, and I’m in awe. Get them in the same room, and it’s like they’ve written up three emotes and I’m still trying to figure out how my character feels after the first one.
If you’ve interacted with me in game, I’d love to get some feedback, what did you not like, what did you enjoy etc, and if you have any tips on how I can generally improve, that advice is also appreciated. This is my first time reaching out like this, but this community seems genuine and willing to help its members. Thanks in advance.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
saladbowl

Re: Advice for a New Character

Post by saladbowl »

I haven't interacted with your character enough for specific advice, but I can give writing tips.

Steal. Copiously.

Find books, or shows, or any media featuring something related to what character you're writing/roleplaying. Take lines and give them a twist or change in words. Lift actions wholesale. Obsure is best, but you'll be amazed at what you can get away with considering the always-moving nature of MUDs. For example: my main character has stolen full phrases from historical fantasy novels, survivng chivalric romances, Fiore/English longsword treatises, old strategy RPGs, etc.

Writing improves by writing and reading. Improv is practiced by improv. Maybe go back every once in a while to look over what you want to improve, but it's not worth fretting over.

You can also 'preload' emotes when waiting for a response. If your character's goal is to open something a friend's blocking, and they just asked them to move, it's not a stretch to assume they'll move. If you guess incorrectly and something unexpected happens, control + A, backspace, and type up a new emote as usual. Or edit what you have to fit. The worst that happens is you get some practice in.

Don't be afraid to let them change over time. If characters didn't change, stories would suck.

The rest is getting to know your character. That comes with time as they're exposed to more situations. Make a meta effort to have them interact with others. You'll eventually have a mental list of their standard reactions you can pull from whenever needed.