Take me to the Ball Game

Socialize with the COGG player community
Navi

Take me to the Ball Game

Post by Navi »

We had a discussion on the Discord about creating a game played with the oval leather balls currently in game. If you’re not aware, the oval leather balls are sold in the market. They are scripted items, with the syntax of toss ball. You can also toss ball to target. The results very on some hidden number generation it seems like. Anyway. I decided to start writing up some general rules. We can add and append to it as time goes on. I think there’s plenty of mechanics in the game currently to allow for some form of game play to take place. There was discussion of more specific mechanics for this type of game too. So this all might be replaced in the future.

The goal of the game:
The goal of the game would be to carry the ball from one end of the playing field to the next, scoring your team a point. Along the way, the ball carrier and their defenders could face many encounters from the opposing team. I’m leaning along the lines of any ability is okay so long as it doesn’t cause direct harm to an individual. That is, if it causes enough damage to inflict serious wounds, it’s out. I don’t know how I feel about fractures. For instance, using staggering blow with a walkingstick.

Playing the Game:

The opposing team can defend their goal area by tackling, or otherwise laying out, an individual. If they tackle the ball carrier, or the ball carrier ends up on the ground some other way, sitting, leg sweep, the ball carrier can no longer move, and must toss the ball to another player on their team. The previous ball carriers can assist the goal, but cannot receive the ball again until the next turnover.

A turnover occurs when the ball is dropped after a toss, or when the team runs out of players who are eligible to receive the ball after the ball carrier is no longer standing. The other team receives the ball, starting where they picked it up.

Rules for the carrier:

The ball carrier is not allowed to tackle or otherwise harm other players while they are carrying the ball. After they are tackled, they cannot receive the ball again, and must toss the ball to another player on their team. As an example, the ball carrier could circle or feint.

Rules for the defenders:

Defenders can use any tricks or techniques they wish to prevent the scoring of the other team, so long as it follows the above stipulations regarding inflicting harm.

Rules for Attackers:

Attackers follow the same rules as defenders, except they are attempting to score, rather than prevent scoring.

This is an extremely rough draft. Please provide feedback, so it can be revised.

Some things I think that could be coded to make this game more interesting would include the ability to block directions with the requirements for breaking through some combination of skill rolls and stats/abilities. The ability to intercept tosses would be nice, but it might be difficult to code without putting in some hang time for the ball. There’s also the consideration of scripts. I think it’s a good idea not to include any mechanics in this that could be reasonably scripted to improve the odds. I don’t think there’s any real concern of that having an impact on the game as described above, but there could be something I’m not considering. That being said, if there was some mechanical way of indicating you are actively looking to intercept the ball before the ball is tossed, that might work. Thanks for reading.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Navi

Re: Take me to the Ball Game

Post by Navi »

I forgot to define the game field. The game field would be a length of wilderness. I'm thinking somewhere with lots of travel round time, but maybe it can just be decided on by the teams from event to event. I invision maybe 5 rooms or so in length.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Vaelin

Re: Take me to the Ball Game

Post by Vaelin »

You know, this actually sounds like capture the flag... the non lethal way, sorta.
(Insert appropriate smiley)