Roen's palm reading

Share about your character, or get help brainstorming a concept, skill setup, backstory ... all that fun stuff!
saladbowl

Roen's palm reading

Post by saladbowl »

[Hearth and Home, Lower Hall] (InUr) Mild
A lone lantern serves to light this dim area, its flame flickering occasionally and causing shadows to dance
about. Several doors line the west wall of the hallway. At the southern end of the hall is a flight of
descending steps.
The lighting is slightly dim. The area is completely silent.
Also here: Mervina (GROUP LEADER).
Obvious exits: north, a flight of descending steps.

#
|
@

"Miss Hreidun tells me you are a troubled man. What troubles you so about yourself, Master Roen?" Mervina
wonders next, her eyes fixing observance on your hand. It gets turned over, so she can check the skin on the
back of it, fingers checking the shape of his fingers and palm, before returning it palm-up so she can check
the lines.

Speaking to Mervina, you list, "It is impossible to save everyone. It is impossible to help everyone. It is
impossible to avoid hurting others though my actions. I strive for such regardless. Seeing my friends hurt
terrifies me. Conflict terrifies me. Speaking oft terrifies me without rehearsal."

Roenwallon cuts off his rambling. "I may continue. If you wish it."

You apologetically say, "I should have filed the calluses before such reading."

Mervina lets her head nod slowly as she traces lines and feels the various mounds of flesh that make up your
palm. "Earth is strong in you. You are an honorable man, you desire goodness in the world, and you are
affected greatly by the inability to ensure that it prevails," she relays to you, "The calluses are good. They
tell me about you. You work hard."

"Not hard enough." Roenwallon tears his eyes from Mervina to gaze north through the hall. "I may always
improve. I must improve."

"This line is broken," Mervina explains to you, placing her forefinger against the second highest line on his
palm. "That is because of your turmoil. You are hard to change. You were taught specific things and you hope
to uphold those specific things."

Mervina curiously says, "Yes, Master Black? I am not yet done with Master Roen if you are seeking
introspection."
Mervina's small pearl crystal pendant (opaque) pulses with a pearl glow.

"Taught," Roenwallon echoes the word. "I suppose such is appropriate."

Speaking to you, Mervina assures, "We are all taught, even if we are not aware of it early on."

A furrow forms between Mervina's brows as she moves down to another line. "You lose out on life because of
this struggle to be more, this believe that you are not enough already to create goodness," she supplies to
you, "And because of this, you allow others to push you along a path that you have not chosen for yourself,
not fully. You are influenced deeply by people around you, and your morals."

"This is not a bad thing. We all could serve to have deeper morals," Mervina assures you, placing two fingers
down the vertical lines on his palm next. "You are a light in the lives of those you touch. You burn brightly,
even if you cannot see this burn yourself."

Speaking to you, Mervina earnestly supplies, "You are a good man, and you impart this goodness on others. You
cannot expect yourself to be Seraphina, or Sifa, or Bogvaskr or Aphraen, you are a mortal man, Master Roen."

You mumble, "I do not wish to be enough. I wish to be more. I cannot grow complacent; the idle hand deflects
no blade."

Mervina shakes her head once, then twice, clasping her hands around your and looking to his face again. "It is
harder to be a good man than an evil one. You are not idle, because every day is a fight to maintain
yourself," she offers, a smile flickering into place and then dimming again, "There is no complacency inside
of you, but you must begin to believe that you do good, and create good. You are an example."

Speaking to you, Mervina says, "Others look to you and they see you for your goodness and from them, others
will seek to be good. That is true goodness. That is a legacy that others cannot leave behind, for others are
bound by selfishness."

"I understand full well what others see in me." Roenwallon fights the urge to wrench his hand away from
Mervina. He forces himself to look back and meet Mervina's gaze. "Is there aught else. I know of myself. I
know what role I play. But I know not where it leads."

"I cannot remove your troubles," Mervina confesses to you, patting his hand gently. "I can only see into you,
and interpret the world around you. You are the one who must overcome these struggles, and if you cannot..."
She exhales gently, the frown returning. "You will be your undoing. Destiny is mutable: you are able to pick
your own path, if you can merely find the way. Do not allow yourself stand in your own way. You are necessary
to maintain balance in this world."

Speaking to you, Mervina assures, "I believe in your ability to reconcile these things. I am sorry I could not
give you a clearer view of your future."

Roenwallon pauses. Stops and thinks. Stews in silence. Eventually he replies, "Then let it be my undoing." His
eyes drift to his left hand, blank expression far more forced than usual.

Mervina releases your hand, lips turning down at the corner. "It is a hard path, to be a good man," she
murmurs, "I do not envy you this, but I harbor a great deal of respect for it."

Roenwallon snatches his hand back, rubbing the palm.

"I'm going to return to the party," Mervina admits, "...but please, reach out to me if you ever require
someone to speak to."

"I see. Please enjoy the party." Roenwallon peeks up at Mervina. "Thank you for the reading."

Mervina performs a polite bow.

Mervina disbands her group.

Mervina heads north.