Ability Ideas

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
Lexx416

Re: Ability Ideas

Post by Lexx416 »

Agelity wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:24 pm Where I was stuck was whether this should be under a basic trap ability and whether bonuses were afforded to the aforementioned classes or whether there should be tiers for other additions to the trap to occur (perhaps something more deadly for those with much higher skill in bushcraft/artifice or something).

I'd love to see this as a Generic ability that had a prerequisite of Bushcraft OR artifice, similar to how Small Game Snares function. I'd then add in Class based bonuses.

I would genuinely find this to be useful. There's places that my PC goes sometimes, where they'd like to be alerted if someone were following behind them in some capacity.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I love the tripwire ideas, and the fun utility of it being used as an alert system!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
mahkefel

Post by mahkefel »

Mostly because I keep forgetting I'm hidden and can't figure why it's taking too long to get anywhere:

Road Agent:
(Apparently this is what stage coach robbers were called?)
Decreases the round time (and endurance cost?) while travelling hidden along roads. For rogues and possibly night blades?
mahkefel

Post by mahkefel »

Rogues (and treasure hunters even more so) having several abilities that want them to stay light on their feet and their main current mechanics all involving picking up more things, results in a fairly intense anti-synergy. Bags floating around behind the larcenous cad are also a bit unsubtle. An ability to mitigate this somewhat would be useful, I think, something like:

"Practiced Looter": You have practiced how to quickly and expertly pack loose items with a minimum of fuss and hindrance. Lowers the encumbrance penalty for carried items.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

mahkefel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:08 pm Rogues (and treasure hunters even more so) having several abilities that want them to stay light on their feet and their main current mechanics all involving picking up more things, results in a fairly intense anti-synergy. Bags floating around behind the larcenous cad are also a bit unsubtle. An ability to mitigate this somewhat would be useful, I think, something like:

"Practiced Looter": You have practiced how to quickly and expertly pack loose items with a minimum of fuss and hindrance. Lowers the encumbrance penalty for carried items.
I like this. However, I think that maybe this should also go to Rangers, as I love to imagine one of two things. Either a hyper organized survivalist who knows exactly where every tool is...or the opposite, the kind of survivalist who can fit anything in his bag and magically pulls out any tool he needs.
Thus, I think Rangers should also get access to this ability, but rename it to "Packed Tactics," because for some reason I thought that that was minorly clever.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

For rogues in particular, certainly abilities to see into a person's open containers AND specify a particular item to steal would be most excellent (of course limited to lil' items).

Was this a thing on CLOK? I'm ashamed that I'm drawing a blank. *THIEF CARD REVOKED*

And if it isn't possible in COGG yet, the ability to plant fish on someone else. I haven't tried that in ages.
Teri

Post by Teri »

A bunch of treasure hunter/rogue/adventurer ramblings.

Cowardice ability: A passive hide ability similar to tumble when knocked to the ground, if there something in the room that could be hidden behind like a table etc.

Wishlist things for me would be the ability to hide while in a seated or lay position, the ability to crawl staircases, and the ability to traverse a ladder from similar positions or flee a ladder while on the ground. Also included would be the ability to use flee from a seated or laying position. Usually, any case I'm crawling away I might not glance at exactly where I'm crawling, so I'd love the option to use flee there too. Maybe a passive ability to flee into a room that is empty over one that has enemies when it is used.
Continuing the cowardice theme, a decreased roundtime while crawling for thieves and rogues, or some kind of boost to sneaking while crawling, a tradeoff for the slow movement, but better stealth.

Occasionally people joke about missing shots due to height or someone being on the ground, but I also ponder maybe a decrease aim chance on rogues/treasure hunters on the ground, maybe more hits to their arms as they duck and cover, or a deft recover type ability where it is triggered so the next 5-10 seconds of attacks hit arms. I need my legs and vital spots to dip out more than I need my arms at that time.

Messages that made me go aw, no sadness that inspired these.
hide
You can't do that while lying down.

go ladder
You're not standing up! Try standing first, or crawling. `

crawl step

flee
flee
You can't do that while sitting down.

Assorted ideas:
  • 1 Hidden pouches/ability to palm close and open our pouches/palm remove/wear rings

2: Catching bugs by hand utilizing artifice. Similarly, catch fish by hand

3: Would treasure hunting benefit from mining in someway? A thought on one influencing the other as well, some treasures are buried as I was thinking about synergies between skills. The lands do have pirates, so maybe a treasure hunter digs in random places, maybe mining helps scavenging or mining. I know I can envision scavenging being some digging, but some of us just want to add to the dirt piles of the world with shovels.
    An additional thing would be a future guild or society task/quest giving some features or hints to a location in the land. Said character then goes searching and needs to dig or find that spot or has a hint of two locations and needs to triangulate the third. Yes, this does sound fun for me haha.

4: Some combo idea of climbing/swimming/perception/tracking increasing travel speed on foot in the wild for adventurers.

5: High tracker skills allowing one to hide their footprints or recognize their own footprints.

6: Item cache
    Adventure general skill, or rogue/treasure hunter/thief's tricks
    Ability to hide items based on artifice. Earlier in this thread Lexx mentioned a cache ability. I wonder how much he would wonder if he really saw everything hidden in the wild if this was a thing :P
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Teri wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am 6: Item cache
Ability to hide items based on artifice. Earlier in this thread Lexx mentioned a cache ability. I wonder how much he would wonder if he really saw everything hidden in the wild if this was a thing :P
I'm still on team "Hidden Cache"! I just think it shouldn't be a foolproof way to hide things, but if someone with a significantly better skillset compared to my PC's hides something it should be much harder to find!
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Teri

Post by Teri »

Lexx416 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:51 am
Teri wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am 6: Item cache
I'm still on team "Hidden Cache"! I just think it shouldn't be a foolproof way to hide things, but if someone with a significantly better skillset compared to my PC's hides something it should be much harder to find!
Totally. I loved trying to hunt down my chair when it got stolen, would have been neat if I had to search harder if they had skills in hiding it. Or environmental effects on hiding things too.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Navi

Post by Navi »

Perhaps an urban cache ability for treasure hunters and rogues, and wilderness cache for bards and rangers.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again