Verungnr Take You!

Discussion of religion and the Immortals.
Alicron

Verungnr Take You!

Post by Alicron »

First time posting here. Many things have changed since I last checked out the lost lands so I scoured the forum and wiki for information but I am not finding much so I thought I would ask the community for ideas and opinions. It may not be 100% lore friendly but at least I can get an idea before I proceed.

Reason being, I am working on a character concept about someone who highly regards Verungnr as his/her patron or at least they consider Verungnr as one whos interests align with their own and occasionally makes the effort to journey to the sea to beseech Verungnr for guidance and blessings. Such as, "Verungnr , who is deserving of the Abyss?" or "Verungnr, guide my sword to the wicked" etc.

My character is something of a pariah and thanks to their war wounds, is quite an unpleasant sight to look at. My character also has an intense hatred for nethrim, evil sorcerers, and those who would harm the innocent. So, what is considered the appropriate way to venerate such an immortal? Has this immortal even been known to commune with us lowly mortals or does it just sit in the Abyss and do their little immortal thing all alone? Is there currently any society or faction who worships/venerates/reveres the Keeper of the Abyss? If a particularly evil person was hog tied and left on the beach, would they perhaps vanish come morning?
Bonehead

Re: Verungnr Take You!

Post by Bonehead »

I think it's a great idea for a concept, and there are a number of ways you could take this!

Since Verungnr seems to dislike evil sorcerer's and such, I suspect making an effort to oppose the works of sorcerer's and evil nethrim, while dedicating such efforts in the name of Verungnr would be a way to offer praise to them. Perhaps leaving the bodies of evil sorcerer's or other such evil villains out by the ocean to be swept out to see could also be a ritual to honor the horror as well!

Or, perhaps as a threat, or as a sign of warning towards a sorcerer, you can gift them a bucket of seawater!
Wut?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Verungnr is one of the creepier and more alien entities, being that eldritch abyssal horror in the deepest depths of the ocean with writhing tentacles and an insatiable hunger for souls - particular the evil ones, if the stories are to be believed. Because of all this, it's one of those entities probably less likely to be listening to the typical mortal prayers before bed and the like. Not that prayers can't or shouldn't be said, or that adherents shouldn't be verbally seeking guidance and inspiration and such. It's just not likely the type of being that's going to hear a prayer and say "Hey, I'm glad you checked in."

Offerings are likely the best way to go. One would want to make their way to the oceanside for this for best chances of being close to Verungnr, as it's a sea-dwelling entity. Bringing a tempting offering/snack would increase chances of notice. All the previous paragraph being said, invoking an Immortal's commonly-associated name is a pretty universal way of attempting to get its attention, and while some might be less capable or interested in hearing and understand the individual words of a mortal's verbal prayers and invocations, spoken invocations and ritual utterances and other such things can still be an effective conduit for channeling a mortal's underlying feelings, emotions, and desires which may potentially be picked up by Immortal beings even if on a different level other than literal understanding of the spoken language.

There aren't any particularly prominet groups that seek out Verungnr. Most try to avoid its notice. The most likely active seekers are going to be those seeking some form of punishment or justice against those Verungnr is said to particularly enjoy devouring. These tend to be more personal things rather than large-scale organizational efforts, so Verungnr tends not to enjoy much in the way of large groups giving it deliberate meaningful attention. Like many of the darker Immortals, it is presumably gaining much of its metaphysical sustenance more passively by being widely and fequently acknowledged and respected via fear rather than organized respectful worship or service. Not that the latter is unheard of, but it's certainly not as common as would be seen for the Immortals that are more obviously concerned with mortals.

Hopefully some of that information is useful! It sounds like you've got a fun character concept going.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

It may also be prudent to look over the Worship wiki article if you have not already done so: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index.php/Worship
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Alicron

Post by Alicron »

Most enlightening, thanks for the feedback!