Bug 3796

For technical bugs that merit special attention or discussion. (Please use the BUG command in-game first to report the bug.)
nobody

Bug 3796

Post by nobody »

I submitted bug report 3796 this morning and then promptly had to :facepalm: because I typoed "A old grizzled miner boasts" with the recommend correction of "An old miner boasts"... and then realized that I completely dropped grizzled. So, it should be "An old grizzled miner boasts"... except maybe it shouldn't. Maybe.

I've noticed a few times that adjective order rules are off a little in some item descriptions. i don't know why English has adjective order rules, I really don't. I favor "A grizzled old miner" over "An old grizzled miner", and I'd love to point to those rules and say that I'm right, but it really depends on how to interpret grizzled. Old is very straightforward, it's ranked at (5) Age, but grizzled means having gray hair, or streaked with gray hair, and that implies age (rank 5), but is defined as a statement of color (rank 6). Buuuut it is often used as opinion (rank 1) to indicate not just graying but also tough or worn. So... I can tell you it shouldn't be "A old" but that's where my qualifications end. Thanks for reading this bizarre post!