Weapon sharpness factors don't seem to be working

For technical bugs that merit special attention or discussion. (Please use the BUG command in-game first to report the bug.)
Pendulum

Weapon sharpness factors don't seem to be working

Post by Pendulum »

From Karjus' post on "Weapon Damage Factors", it's mentioned:
Additional Weapon Factors
Keen-Edge - 20% bonus to DF. IE, a Shortsword becomes 0.96 while a Glaive becomes 1.08.
Material Sharpness - X% bonus to DF based on the Sharpness factor.

However, I tested it with three keen-edged rapiers, and this is what I got for max damages:
  • Metal / Pierce / Slash
  • --------------------------
  • Iron / 96 / 108
  • Bronze / 96 / 108
  • Steel / 97 / 109
This doesn't seem to add up. If the Iron rapier is doing 96/108, then the bronze should be doing (at least) 97/109 and the Steel 98/110, if not a bit more.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Gorth

Re: Weapon sharpness factors don't seem to be working

Post by Gorth »

I can run the math in a bit, but I recall DF math moments of mine where the number expected was one off due to fine number rounding down.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Right, but if that were the case, wouldn't the result from all three metals be flat identical?
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

I'm no math whiz, but it'd appear all calculations round down, or just drop off the thousdanths, for end damage.

Doing the calculations off what is provided, I got:
Iron: pierce (.8)x(1+.20) = .96
slash (.8+.1)x(1+.20) = 1.08
Bronze : pierce (.8)x(1+.01+.20) = .968
Slash (.8+.1)x(1+.01+.20) = 1.089
Steel: pierce (.8)x(1+.02+.20) = .976
Slash (.8+.1)x(1+.02+.20) = 1.098

Which would result in the findings you got yourself.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Wanted to add on that material sharpness IS definitely working - a melee attack with my flint javelin only does 76 piercing damage, while a melee attack with my bloodglass javelin does 105. It's just not a HUGE bonus at lower levels of sharpness, since it's a % increase (similar to heft - practically speaking, there isn't much reason to use a sling bullet made from a material with a higher heft at the moment, because a 2 to 3 % increase on damage from a sling just isn't that much).

It's possible the numbers have been adjusted at some point though (whether that be weapon damage caps, or the actual benefit of sharpness) without the documentation being updated.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."