Death is Real, and that Can Mean Permanence

Give your fellow roleplayers some kudos.
Tessa

Death is Real, and that Can Mean Permanence

Post by Tessa »

I'm a bit late to posting this, but I wanted to express my sincere thanks to everyone involved in the death related scene yesterday.
I feel that as players, we may sometimes take death far too lightly. While we know and have the choice as players behind the keyboard to recognize that we can get up and walk away after dying, our characters don't know when a death will be their last. I appreciate people who allow others to roleplay it out to this extent. To that end, I'd like to extend sincere gratitude to the players of Seren, Alia, and Caius. You three really give people room to express their characters, and I cannot be more appreciative of that. Seren, your first death was certainly one for the books, and plenty of tears were almost shed! You get that Oscar! Caius, Alia, you both are such supportive people in the wake of traumatizing events in our characters' lives. I don't know how the Branwyn sisters would manage without you both!
I hope this also serves as a sort of reminder that while folk might see something as dramatic, to other characters, death is a real and scary thing that shouldn't always be treated with the lightheartedness that it is.
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
adresin

Re: Death is Real, and that Can Mean Permanence

Post by adresin »

I love this, thank you Tessa and that was a very good scene!

I've always been one to enjoy intense, emotional scenes, where appropriate. Not constant drama just for the sake of drama, but when it fits, exploring the different characters, their emotions, reactions, is something I've always enjoyed about roleplay. It's nice when I find others who do the same. It's not for everyone, and that's okay!

I do wonder though, I've always assumed that the bell/deathknell is an indication that yes, the person can come back, will come back, at least this time. Does that seem accurate to others? It doesn't guarantee the next time will be the same but, at least this death, they're trying to get back.
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I've always considered it as noting that their soul still lingers. At least in the old game, it was assumed the priestesses were searching for your soul and guiding it back to your body. So while your soul could interact with the bell, it could just as easily be lost and unable to find its way back to the body. It might be up to a matter of interpretation!
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

adresin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:12 pm I do wonder though, I've always assumed that the bell/deathknell is an indication that yes, the person can come back, will come back, at least this time. Does that seem accurate to others? It doesn't guarantee the next time will be the same but, at least this death, they're trying to get back.
Whether lore-intended or not, I would consider this entirely accurate purely from the fact that people who die for good do not ring bells. It's a noticeable phenomenon that most characters would be able to note.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

It was fun to watch the roleplay. My character was a bit distant from it for her own reasons, but it was great to watch. :)
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I enjoyed what I saw of the RP. I didn't know how to get involved, so I eventually left, after feeling really awkward.
I wish more people would RP out death scenes. Too often, we just kinda pick ourselves up and act like nothing happened. Last night, last night almost made me cry, and it wasn't my char who died.
SleepyTimeTea

Post by SleepyTimeTea »

Hello.

Thank you for the shout out, but also it was such a joy to rp with everyone involved. There was such a lovely juxtaposition of reactions from all who were there, , which made it incredibly fun to play out.

Whether it was confusion and delayed grief, attempts to ground, or just the regular kind of steadfastness that happens from familiarity of characters, everyone who was there roleplayed their socks off and in turn gave me the freedom to really dig in to the emotions and big feelings.

So, thank you and I look forward to more rp in the future. But you know, maybe a little more ability to cling to the mortal coil rather than abruptly shoved off of it. :)
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

:aphraen_sword_moon:
Volinn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:53 pm
adresin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:12 pm I do wonder though, I've always assumed that the bell/deathknell is an indication that yes, the person can come back, will come back, at least this time. Does that seem accurate to others? It doesn't guarantee the next time will be the same but, at least this death, they're trying to get back.
Whether lore-intended or not, I would consider this entirely accurate purely from the fact that people who die for good do not ring bells. It's a noticeable phenomenon that most characters would be able to note.
Ah but what is to say that those fully lost to death are led by a different bell, toward a different end and not back to their former vessel? Just because you can see the bell does not mean it is the same bell you saw before.

I appreciate everyone that treats death as something uncertain and unnerving, and not as just a mere inconvenience. Seren, your response was amazingly well played, I'm sorry I missed you with my NPC due to my failed typing.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
artus

Post by artus »

Don't treat death with lightheartedness...

This sort of contradicts what Liberi do, given lore wise they're mostly undyings and seem to abuse their revival like crazy as they bounce back to fight again. But then we don't know how much they whine in the background, so I suppose we don't know.

I do have moments of making a joke or five about dying, but I try not to make it sound like oh I'm getting back there as soon as this wears off, more like laughing at the face of death knowing this may be the last joke I may make. One thing about undying which may or may not hold true is that let's say they're not going to be not used to death after dying 27 times or so, so it's kind of a normal, albeit totally unwanted occurrence for them. I treat it at least on my char with the most deaths as something along the line of "Again?" and definitely and obviously not seeking it, and usually drop a line of "I may or may not come back" whenever I have to run hard areas for whatever reason. I don't know about anyone else though. My secondary does something else entirely when he dies given he has no reason whatsoever to risk his neck for anything. He's a mage who fights to defend, that's it, so death has greater impact on him compared to someone like Arty who already knows how dying is far too often, so he has quite a laid back attitude toward it, living like this death is his last because it may eventually be his last, either that or getting infected by something dumb like Resen or whatever.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

It's a good thing most players probably aren't Liberi.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.